What GPS unit/software for a Pocket PC device...

Guest PocketPCGuy

Guest PocketPCGuy

Hi!

I have a Casio E-115 Pocket PC. I desperately wish to get a gps unit for geocaching reasons. I would however like to get one that I can connect to my Pocket PC, and use in that manner as well. Any suggestions? Anyone using a set up like this currently? How is it working?

Thanks for any advice!

PPC Guy

Guest k2dave

There is a device for the palm that would turn it into a gps - so there is most likely one for the pocket pc. From what I gather on the board it is convienent but not as durable and basically not an good idea for walking through the woods on uneven ground while looking at the screen. I have only dropped my gps once and that was onto snow (I almost lost it since I didn't know it dropped but my wife saw it). But is seems like a lot of geochachers have.

Most gps's are fairly robust and can take some abuse (shock and water). Most pda's can't (even though the gps modual would probably survive).

Guest k2dave

nvienent but not as durable and basically not an good idea for walking through the woods on uneven ground while looking at the screen. I have only dropped my gps once and that was onto snow (I almost lost it since I didn't know it dropped but my wife saw it). But is seems like a lot of geochachers have.

Most gps's are fairly robust and can take some abuse (shock and water). Most pda's can't (even though the gps modual would probably survive).

Guest steveor

I have an HP Jornada 548 but never really considered getting a PPC compatible GPS. Mainly because I think you shouldn't ask a gadget to do too many things. Plus I just wasn't confident it would perform as well as a stand alone unit (but since Casios have faster processors performance may not be a problem).

I ended up buying an eTrex Venture but use the Jornada with Pocket Streets to get to the park in which the cache is located. I also save each cache's website on the Jornada so I have a quick reference in the field.

I also figured the Jornada with attached GPS would eat up the battery and be a bit much to carry while busting through the bush. With only the GPS dangling around my neck and a compass in my pocket, I can move through the weeds pretty easily.

Just my own opinion and experience-your needs obviously may be different. Good luck and good hunting.

Guest Ianic

I am currently working on configuring my Jornada 540 to work with a Mag315. My inital setup works fine but I am trying to find the right software. I am evaluating OziExplorerCE and Memory-Map Pocket Navigator. The last one is the most interesting because it allows you to create waypoints and routes on the fly and navigate by them. Moreover, the navigation tools are easier to use. My only problems with it are the price (175$ with the Desktop version required to build your maps) and it doens't download or upload from GPS other then Garmin.

Ianic

[This message has been edited by Ianic (edited 01 March 2002).]

Guest jfitzpat

For what it is worth, my employer, eTree Inc., will be releasing a Pocket PC program called SkyEye, probably by the end of next week.

I'm not sure if it will be "Shareware" or "Careware" (all proceeds to charity), but I know that the price is $9.95. It will basically work with any Garmin, Magellan, or NMEA compatible GPS connected (via serial or compact flash) connected to your Pocket PC.

It basically keeps a map (with optional markers) on the Pocket PC in sync with the GPS. You can scroll, zoom, and get some basic metrics (distance to current position, etc.) I think that the neatest thing about it is that you can build non rectangular maps (ex. a map 30 miles long, but 1/2 mile wide, that follows a trail), which is nice for saving memory on a PDA.

The map format will be open. Plus, you'll be able to build maps (for free) from USGS Aerial photos and Topographic maps on our web site. Of course (since we have an inside connection!!) you will be able to grab maps from the http://www.lostoutdoors.com Map Maker (complete with markers) as a compatible map file with one click.

I don't think that a Palm version will be ready until April. There is an internal version now, but it is limited to 4 bit grayscale. I, or one other engineer here, needs to update our JPEG library for Palm, and we are both busy for most of March on other projects.

-jjf

Guest madphatboy2

JJF,

Of course this is something I am very interested in. Can you keep us updated on what will be happening with it? I would love to have a tool like this.

Thanks,

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest jfitzpat

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

JJF,

Of course this is something I am very interested in. Can you keep us updated on what will be happening with it? I would love to have a tool like this.

Thanks,

Sure, I'll post a message when it is up. I actually used it hiking yesterday and it is neater than I thought. My daughter loved following us on the map in the car.

-jjf