Meridian Mounting Options

Hello there fellow meridian users. I am taking a trip soon and want to see about getting something to mount my meridian in a car. I have seen 2 possible options. One of them lists itself as just a swivel mount...I am not sure what it mounts to...it says it can mount to a dash but i don't understand how it does that.

The other option is the suction cup mount. The "swivel mount" i have seen for as low as like $14.95...the suction cup mount is insanely expensive..i've seen it for OVER $50! That seems a little steep to me seeing as how i barely paid over $200 for my GPS...anyway, if someone could give me some insight on these..or offer other alternatives if they exist.

Thanks

HipsterDo0fus

-Edmond, OK

I use the suction cup windshield mount. I got it free from Magellan when I sent my MeriPlat in for repairs. I agree, $50 is pretty steep for a mount.

Some people have reported using cell phone holders as a cheap alternative.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

The swivel mount usues the same holder os the suction-cup mount.

The swivel mount sits on top of the dashboard, and rotates so you can get the best viewing angle.

BE AWARE with this mount, that if you have a steep angle on your windshield, or a short dashboard, it might not fit!

The suction-cup mount is ok. Unfortunately, I have to let my holder rest on the edge of the dashboard for support, and it still bounces on rough dirt roads.Also, the design ofthe mounting point between the arm and the holder is not very good. The arm is a flat piece of flexible metal that you can bend, and the end of it fits into a slot in the plastic pivot. The slot is about half-again as wide as the piece of metal. The metal is held in the slot with one screw. This allows much side to side motion of the holder on the arm.

Basically, this will cause your GPS to wobble side to side.

It doesnt seem to affect the function ofthe GPS...Its just a bead desgin for $35-50, and I am just waiting for it to break, or the screw to strip the plastic threads.

OR you can get a RAM nount.

Do a search and you can dig up a link and others opinions on these mounts...

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Originally posted by hipsterdoofus:

Hello there fellow meridian users. I am taking a trip soon and want to see about getting something to mount my meridian in a car. I have seen 2 possible options. One of them lists itself as just a swivel mount...I am not sure what it mounts to...it says it can mount to a dash but i don't understand how it does that.

The other option is the suction cup mount. The "swivel mount" i have seen for as low as like $14.95...the suction cup mount is insanely expensive..i've seen it for OVER $50! That seems a little steep to me seeing as how i barely paid over $200 for my GPS...anyway, if someone could give me some insight on these..or offer other alternatives if they exist.

Thanks

HipsterDo0fus

-Edmond, OK

I have the suction cup Magellan mount (#701241) in my Ranger pickup. In addition to being able to clip a power cable in from a lighter plug, I think it is great. It just snaps into the mount and is powered.

It appears to be well designed, and has been holding my MeriPlat for over a month with no sign of coming loose.

I got it after I bought the unit, so I had to pay a solo shipping charge. It arrived at my door four days after ordering from GPS Discount.com, for $39.17 total.

Subsequently, I bought a mount for my motorcycle at the local West Marine store, and found it to be the best deal around

The suction cup mount is probably the best mount for most cars and trucks. I think the swivel mount would work well on a boat or something similar where you'd be looking down at the GPS. Now the suction cup mount is not very sturdy, but i think most people put the base of the mount against edge of the dash to steady it. I've seen the RAM mount, and it's rock solid, but I've heard it tends to fall off on occasion. The good thing about the Magellan mount is that you can hook up the power cable to it and when you put the GPS in it, it's automatically connected. With the RAM mount, you have to screw in the power cable in every time. I like the Magellan mount, and if it ever breaks, I'll send it back to Magellan and see what they give me icon_wink.gif

-pizzachef

I got the RAM Mount with the shorter 2" arm and the new suction base(RAPB224-1); and about a month ago, they came out with the 6" flex arm which I think is even better. The unit has been on since April with the MeriPlat and has never come off! Take a look here:

http://marbleorchards.com/RAM/RAM07.jpg

http://marbleorchards.com/RAM/RAMFlexArm.jpg

I tried the Magellan window mount with my MAP 330, and it did not hold well at all and was not strudy.

de mortuis nil nisi bonum

Thanks for the info guys. I have a couple of comments/questions. First of all, I do know what type of cars this will be used in...I have a ford ranger, but I am going on a trip in a rental car, which will be a ford taurus, so I am not sure how that may affect what i use.

Ok, first question, with this RAM mount, are you able to keep the power plugged in on the unit? this is going to be a 9-10 trip so obviously i don't what to use that many batteries :-).

Second of all, someone earlie recommended a cheap alternative of a universal cell phone holder....I mean you can get these things for 5 bucks! My question is, is there one of these out there that a meridian would fit in and not be too heavy for? Again thanks for all the info so far!

HipsterDo0fus

Edmond, OK

I can tackle your first question, but I'll pass on the second...

I have both the RAM mount and the Magellan swivel mount. The Magellan mounts allow for a data/power cable to be in the holder, so when you click your Meridian in you've got power/data contact.

It's not so easy with the RAM mount. They can accommodate the cable being attached to the GPS and then mounted in the holder, but you still have to screw the thing in by hand. The advantage of the RAM mount, though, is tougher construction and versatility. I got the RAM first because with the Meridian holder, I merely needed to get the U-bolt mount for my bike, and the 4-inch suction for my kayak and all the cars in our family fleet.

I got tired enough of hooking up the data cable at my computer that I got the Magellan swivel mount to leave on my desktop. Yes, a desktop mount is not really needed for convenient viewing, but I really like just clicking my GPS in and out instead of having to screw and unscrew the cable frequently.

So I see the RAM vs Magellan issues as quality (nod to RAM) vs convenience (Magellan). Price is a factor, too. I suppose that in the long term, I should be able to use some of the RAM components with future GPS units or other toys.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I was lucky and got a loving wife to get the suction for me for my birthday. I wasn't going to pay the $45 it costs at BassPro Outdoor World but now that I have it I feel it's worth just about every penny.

It's easier to use while driving than handheld (though still not completely safe), and your vehicle power cord attaches right into the back so when mounted it's always powered.

My .02

Draegon, Cache Care-taker of the OKIC

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To conquer without risk is to succeed without glory"

I don't have a Magellan, but I ran into the same quandary (sp?) with Garman. I have a small pickup with a moon roof, so I get great reception even with the unit sitting in the seat beside me (unlike my Astro van, where it pretty much has to be on the dash).

I bought a $6.95 cell phone clip (the locking post kind) that had double sided tape to mount to my dash. The post wouldn't stick to the rubber on the back of my eTrex, so I secured it with 5 minute epoxy. I works great and I can see it easily while driving.

I bought a belt clip and used a pipe clamp and a few cable ties to secure it to the handlebars of my bike, so the same mount point on the eTrex lets me use it on my bike. I usually wrap the lanyard around the end of the pipe clamp in case it pops loose, but, so far, the lock on the clip has held it steady. Tying down the lanyard does keep it from spinning freely, though.

I figure I spent <$10 and got the equivalent of >$55 worth of custom mounting hardware.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

I use the

Vehicle Mounting Bracket

I bought mine at Bass Pro shops in Atlanta. I forget the price I paid, but I use it all the time.

One thing I did on my last road trip, instead of using the suction cups on the windshied. I twisted the bracket sideways and stuck it on my side window, actually I put it on my small triangle vent window. That way I can still open my window.

This way instead of the long reach to the windshield, it is at my finger tips and I don't have to squint to read the screen. It floats between my blinker and window. And it does not obstruct my vision of the road or my side mirror. The bracket is fairly sturdy and does not bounce around at all.

-Rob

MeriGold

I love the suction cup mount for my MeriColor!icon_smile.gif I use it mainly in my F-350, but also switch it to my car, and even to my ambulance when I'm on a long trip. It's simple to mount or move; and the convenience of have the power is great.icon_cool.gif

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"

I've tried the swivel mounts and the RAM mounts and in my opinion the RAM mounts win hands down. The swivel mount never stuck to my dash right and I wasn't going to use super glue - if you moisten the suction cup on the RAM mount it is rock solid, and believe me I have tested it.

The other nice thing about the RAM mounts is that you can buy individual parts (cradles, mounts etc.) so you can use it for more than on purpose. I have a cradle for each of my models of GPS and I just swap the suction cup back and forth.

I love the smell of Lock 'n Locks in the morning...they smell like $$$

Thanks...sounds like as far as a real mount for this goes the RAM is the mount of choice. I am still interested if there are any other people out there who have used the cell phone type mount....I'd prefer a mount though where i don't have to glue anything to my poor meridian lol...sorry..but the trip I am going on is quite expensive to start off with, so I am looking for the cheapest options i can find, so the $40-$45 RAM is a bit steep. Anymore ideas?

-HipsterDo0fus

Edmond, OK

I have both a RAM mount for my kayak and the Magellan suction cup mount for my Jeep (Cherokee Country) and the Magellan bike mount for my mountain bike.

The RAM mounts are nice and solid and very adjustable...BUT...I would never use them in an automotive situation because you can't beat the Magellan mount due to the power cable situation. It's nice to just click it in and out of the mount and know you have power while driving.

In an unpowered bike/kayak situation...the RAM mount is great and it at least gives the illusion of offering more protection to the GPS. I will probably get another mounting base to replace the Magellan mount on my bike at some point.

http://www.tampabaygeocaching.com