Meridian Firmware v3.12 available

Please excuse if this has already been posted. I did a quick search and didn't see it.

For those of you (like me) who can't wait, there is a new firmware upgrade for Magellan Meridians, v3.12 available. Yes, boys and girls, the card utilities are QUITE NICE, and the Tracks/Waypoints/Routes are stored on the SD card in ASCII format using standard $PGMNTRK/$PGMNWPL Magellan commands. icon_smile.gif

** THIS UPGRADE IS NOT YET AVAILABLE FROM THE MAGELLAN WEB SITE**

The upgrade is available for download in the

Magellan_Meridian Yahoo! Group files area.

Here is the announcement from the Yahoo! group:

To: Magellan_Meridian@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 4:22 PM

Subject: Magellan Meridian Firmware version 3.12

I've uploaded this upgrade to the file area. With this version of

the firmware there are SEPARATE VERSIONS for Meridian GPS and for all

the others (Meridian Gold, Marine, Platinum). Make sure you use the

correct upload package. Each ZIP file has the firmware, MAGUP and

instructions.

The listed changes for this upgrade are:

1. Fix problem with missing information from large detailed maps.

This especially affected object names. This also fixed a potential

lockup problem on large detailed maps.

2. Fix bug in daylight savings time (involved incorrect prompting for

change from/to).

3. Added miles/yard/mph as a choice for nav units (old miles/mph

choice now labeled miles/feet/mph). This will display yards at short

distances instead of feet.

4. Added "Card Utility" menu to main menu (only displayed if card is

present). This contains:

A. Load/save routes and waypoints from/to SD card. This

stores/retrieves data in the same ASCII format as described for

uploading/downloading waypoints and routes in the Magellan Data

Transmission Protocol specification. Note that loading information

from the card does not clear any currently defined waypoints or

routes unless there is a name conflict with the new information. In

the later case the card data overwrites.

B. Load/save track from/to SD card. This stores/retrieves data in

the same ASCII format as described for uploading/downloading track in

the Magellan Data Transmission Protocol specification. Note that

loading track from the card deletes any track already stored in the

unit's memory.

C. Delete file.

D. Change map. This allows changing of the detail map to a file

different than DETAIL00.IMG. The detail map files must have the IMG

extension and must have been copied to the card using a PC SD card

reader/writer. Also includes a method for changing the basemap.

This is included for compatibility with a future MapSend product and

will have no affect with current basemaps.

E. Test card. Conducts a cursory test of the SD card and provides

for a complete read/write scan of the card data area. Warning, this

scan can take a long time.

For you Platinum owners there is also a new procedure used in

manufacturing to calibrate the temperature dependence of the

compass. To take advantage of this (without buying a new unit)

invoke hidden function 14 right after turning on the unit (before

it "warms up"). This procedure takes a few minutes (3-5 if the unit

hasn't been on for awhile), but doesn't require any user interaction.

I just bought a Meridian (green) A fantastic change from my old Magellan blaser12. Now I see that there is a firmware upgrade for the Meridian. When I start it up the screen shows V 2.09 is that the firmware version? Is the upgrade easy to install or screw up? I am not very tech savy and sure don't want to mess it up, but also want it to be up to date icon_confused.gif

Bob G. (1pilot)

I had this update installed since it became available. It is pretty easy to install if you follow the instructions carefully.

This update is so cool; I can create a geocaching folder (12 character name), a personal waypoint folder, and an acquaintance folder. It easy to switch between them and mix them (does not delete the waypoints in internal memory, but you can delete them in the setup menu).

I have also been trying to push this thing to the max by adding a bunch of tracks to the thing (previous track in the internal memory be over wrote). I am glad to say I have found the limit of what it can do (it will probably replace my computer for storing past track and waypoint files).

Again this update is really cool, so cool I actually called it sexy (boy do I need a girlfriend).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I upgraded to this version on my MeriGreen, and it seems to be working great. I like the card utilities menu! Of course, now I *have* to go for a geocaching trip, just to test things out. icon_wink.gif

The only problem I had was getting the firmware uploader to work with my USB-Serial adapter. Once I figured out "expert mode" and manually put the unit into upload mode, it went very quickly. (The adapter shows up as COM5, and won't be automatically detected by the firmware loader)

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

This update is so cool; I can create a geocaching folder (12 character name), a personal waypoint folder, and an acquaintance folder. It easy to switch between them and mix them (does not delete the waypoints in internal memory, but you can delete them in the setup menu).

I haven't had time to explore the limits of the new firmware yet, so excuse me here...

So you're saying that you created "folders" on the SD card via your PC and stuffed them with waypoints, tracks, etc..? Can you "surf" the folders to pick which waypoint/track files you want or is it just for "cosmetic" data management purposes on the PC side?

Or am I totally off base here?

My little brain is ticking thinking of all sorts of things to do with hot-swappable waypoints (geocaching, fishing, different states, etc...)!

Lastly, what are you using to create the waypoint/track files? The GPS itself? I'd really like to see a feature in ExpertGPS to export waypoints to a "raw magellan ascii" file. As it's Friday and I'm at work, I may just get to working on a CSV->Maggie Ascii converter...

alexm

I have not found software that lets me do it one the computer. But you can manage all the waypoints like you want on the GPSr. Just upload the waypoints you want (say the geocaching first) then save those to the card as geocaching (the name actually fits!). Then go to the menu screen, then setup screen, then go down to clear memory, hit clear all waypoints and routes.

After that download your fishing waypoints and save those to the card as fishing.

To switch between the two (or however many you have) you can clear all the waypoints like I describe above. After they are cleared go to the card utility and load the file you want.

If you don't delete the previous waypoints and load another set they will just be added to the others. You can also save the mixture of waypoints if you like.

Also if you are on a lake and mark the fishing spot and just save the file as fishing again and it will over right the previous file.

Another great thing about this is if you happen to have a friend with a meridian you can save your waypoints to it and switch card to get the other persons waypoints. All one would have to do then is save the waypoints from the other person to your own SD card (will also work with tracks). The possibility of emailing the files became way easier too (if you have a card reader/write) than it was before.

Wyatt W.

I sure hope the made sense, and sorry for the spelling and poor

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

So, if we take the seriously low-end estimate:

quote:
1,500,000 trackpoints of storage.

(divided by)

2,000 trackpoints per full detail track.

(equals)

750 full detail tracks in a 128MB card.

Alternately, you can have 64MB of detail maps, an *extremely* large set of waypoints, and one track for every day of an entire year, all without stopping by a PC. How's that for an impressive example. icon_biggrin.gif

My only question is: Garmin users, is it true that your saved tracks are stored with less-than-full detail, as I have read numerous times here in the past? Just checking.

quote:
Originally posted by 1pilot:

After about three tries,I got a full download, When I upgrade, do I need to or should I remove the SD card from the unit? Or does it matter?

Bob G.

I did the upgrade with the SD card in the GPS and my detail map was still there after the upload and the "clear all memory" that was sugested in the install notes. I lost all the waypoint, routes and tracks when clearing memory.

Doh!

I've been away for a few days... and I don't currently have access to my computer (nor the GPS computer cable). I guess I'll have to wait until I get home in a couple of weeks in order to install the new firmware. Sounds exciting, though!

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by 1pilot:

The upgrade went well,got all the bells and whistles now.Didn't mess anything up!! icon_eek.gif

Has anyone used the basemap upgrade, that comes on the Mapsend Topo disk? Or is it for a different model Magellan? Bob G.

Do no under ANY circumstances upgrade your base map with one on a MapSend CD......

These are made for the Map 330 line. If you have a Meridian Green, the new map will NOT fit. If you have a Gold/Platinum/Marine, you will replace your 16MB map with an 8MB one. Hardly an upgrade.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

Originally

Do not under ANY circumstances upgrade your base map with one on a MapSend CD......

These are made for the Map 330 line. If you have a Meridian Green, the new map will NOT fit. If you have a Gold/Platinum/Marine, you will replace your 16MB map with an 8MB one. Hardly an upgrade.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

Thanks for the info, I wont touch it!! icon_eek.gif