Lowrance Globalmap 100

Undrhil

Hey everyone. I am brand new to Geocaching and I must say that I am getting more and more excited about it the more I read this website. I have a Lowrance Globalmap 100 GPS unit which is on load from my mom for the time being. My question is Will this GPS work for Geocaching or should I shell out the big bucks for a Garmin or something?

The Globalmap 100 has a PC input and can take maps (from some software package which I will have to find and buy, I'm sure) and waypoints. In fact, the Groundspeak EasyGPS software does have an entry for this particular GPS, so I know I can get waypoints to it.

Undrhil

There are some die-hard Global Map 100 users. They seem to love the thing. Not sure why?

My first GPSr was a Global Map 100. First are you asking should you upgrade?

I'm not sure if your asking if you should continue using your mothers, or should you buy a GM100 like your mothers?

If it's the latter, the GM100 is about $400 last I looked. There are many modern GPSr out there for less.

I say modern because the GM100 hasn't changed for the last six or more years. There have been many advances since the GM100 came out.

I used the GM100 for four months when I started caching. It didn't maintain satellite locks very well.

I think any GPSr from Magellan or Garmin would be a good caching device.

For now, though, the GM100 will work fine. I'm sure the upgrade bug will hit you.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

icon_smile.gif I like my gm100 gps.

It is my first and only gps I have owed and it has not let me down yet. I bought it about 3 1/2 years ago.

I based my purchase after using numerous Lowrance fish finders and having no trouble with them.

Forget wasting your money on the mapping software as it is now outdated. But buy the data cable so you can download and upload from your computer.

Enjoy and have fun.....

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Ontario geocachers http://groups.msn.com/GeocachinginOntario/homepage