Battery charger -- what is the "conditioning function"

Hey,

I'm researching battery chargers and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the "conditioning function" on the AllTek AT-1268 and MAHA MH-C204F means.

Also, I've read some good reviews about the Rayovac PS-4B, but I don't think it has this "conditioning function." Does it? Should I care?

I plan on using only AA NiMh batteries with the charger, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by ProStreet:

The conditioning function removes the battery's memory causing the battery to hold a better charge. Not in technical terms but that is what it does in short.

Thanks ProStreet!

So does the conditioning discharge the battery too or is that the same thing as removing the battery's memory?

How important is this feature in a battery charger?

quote:

So does the conditioning discharge the battery too or is that the same thing as removing the battery's memory?

How important is this feature in a battery charger?

I have the AT-1268 Charger. It's "refresh" feature is used to condition NiCAD batteries. They make no mention of using it for NiMH batteries, though I doubt it would hurt them.

It's been a good charger for me. Specification wise, it's identical if not ahead of the Maha you mentioned. It listed an additional charge type circuitry over and above what maha specifies. Also, it comes WITH the car cord standard and a $3 rebate which makes the combo kit about $7 cheaper than the maha.

I've never seen the maha, so I can't compare 1st hand how the two chargers stack up.

I am not familiar with those chargers, but generally, conditioning means to discharge the cell down to a low capacity level, and then recharge it. If the cell is not fully discharged every so often, it will lose storage capacity. If you use NiMH cells in a modern GPSR, and use it until the unit gives a low battery indication or shuts down, then conditioning would not be necessary, since the GPSR will fully discharge the cells. But some high load devices, such as certain digital cameras, will use only 1/2 or 2/3 of the cell capacity and will not completely discharge the cells. That's where the conditioner can make a big difference in cell performance.

Also, some NiMH cells will not supply full capacity until they have been through 3 to 5 discharge cycles, and a battery conditioner can be used to cycle new cells.

You can over-do conditioning, especially with some NiMH cells which may have a limited number of cycles (300-400) compared to NiCads (1000).

FWIW,

CharlieP

quote:
Originally posted by CharlieP:

I am not familiar with those chargers, but generally, conditioning means to discharge the cell down to a low capacity level, and then recharge it. If the cell is not fully discharged every so often, it will lose storage capacity. If you use NiMH cells in a modern GPSR, and use it until the unit gives a low battery indication or shuts down, then conditioning would not be necessary, since the GPSR will fully discharge the cells. But some high load devices, such as certain digital cameras, will use only 1/2 or 2/3 of the cell capacity and will not completely discharge the cells...

FWIW,

CharlieP

You people are brilliant! Thanks so much for the information!