Magellan GPS Companion for Handspring Visor

Guest chrome

Guest chrome

Sweet! I love it. Same functionality as the 330 with loads of space to store maps, waypoints etc, not to mention that info is MUCH easier to enter. The maps that come with it are very good. Also has WAAS, tonight I got an accuracy of 9 feet! Have used several GPS stand alone units and one (earthmate) with the Visor previously and this one kicks all of them. Using right next to a Megellan 315, I was getting a lock on 8 satellites with an intermittent 9th and the 315 was getting 4 with an intermittent 5th. Also works with any other Palm OS GPS app that can use NMEA data such as Solus and a host of others, so if I don't like the screen layout or features of one app, I can use another. Anyone else used this device and compared it to others? Oh yes, even without WAAS, specs quote accuracy as 10 meters. Uses 2 AAA's but also has an optional cig lighter power cord. All software updates are free and even the GPS firmware can be updated by downloading the update from the web site and using the built in firmware updater app. It's 2:30 a.m., and I wanno go play!

Guest Exocet

inally release said software, I'm going to go out and buy two 64MB MMC cards - I'll be able to have 100% of Oregon maps and some of Washington with me all the time!

The Geode uses two AA's and no cig lighter support. icon_frown.gif Software updates are free for both the map software (GeoView) and the firmware for the Geode.

All that being said, I wouldn't advise anyone to run out and buy a Geode right now - they're a bit spendy (for me) at $280 and the company, GeoDiscovery, has slowed down substantially due to the poor market economy right now. Although I believe they'll eventually recover, it's an unsure bet and better advice would be to wait or check out some of the other excellent springboard GPS modules out there.

Guest Exocet

inally release said software, I'm going to go out and buy two 64MB MMC cards - I'll be able to have 100% of Oregon maps and some of Washington with me all the time!

The Geode uses two AA's and no cig lighter support. icon_frown.gif Software updates are free for both the map software (GeoView) and the firmware for the Geode.

All that being said, I wouldn't advise anyone to run out and buy a Geode right now - they're a bit spendy (for me) at $280 and the company, GeoDiscovery, has slowed down substantially due to the poor market economy right now. Although I believe they'll eventually recover, it's an unsure bet and better advice would be to wait or check out some of the other excellent springboard GPS modules out there.

I was in Staples and saw a lot of mapping software that claims to support PALM style PDA's. I'd like to find something better then the bare bones magellan software that adds some of the features of standalone GPSR's with the posiblities of PDA's.