What is WAAS?

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I've seen WAAS mentioned in several posts. What is it?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest Gliderguy

Wide Area Augmentation System.

WAAS is an upgrade to GPS that can potenitally enhance accuracy down to less than 3 meters (versus about 15 meters) It was developed for the FAA so that aircraft can make precision approaches to small airports that dont have all the approach equipment like big airports do. (ILS) Although the FAA hasnt actually authorized it yet, the birds are up there where we can use them. the main problem the FAA has with the system isnt the accuracy but the ability of the system to tell an airplane if it is getting good accuracy, or if the system has an error.

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Thanks for the info. is this something that a standard GPS will receive or does it require an add on?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest ClayJar

The Magellan MAP 330 and the entire (unreleased) Magellan Meridian line have WAAS capability. Other mid- to high-end consumer receivers have the capability as well. Older/cheaper models don't have the capability.

Guest jpjazz

Do I need to change the set up on my MAP 330 to access WAAS? I understand that the Sats are postioned over the oceans and may be difficult to reach. How would I know if one were accessed?

The following links are for the 2 Inmasat's from which WAAS corrections are currently transmitted.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/inmar3f3.shtml

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/inmar3f4.shtml

By clicking on your approx location it will interactively tell you if you can see (and at what elevation) that particular satellite and if not then you never will as the sats are geo-stationary.

Cheers, Kerry.