GPS recommendations for hiking, caching?

Mudfrog

Hi, new to Geocaching and have found that i love the hobby, however my old Garmin 40 is acting up and i want to replace with a new 12 channel receiver. I want something basic and easy to use like what i have now, but that aquires faster and works better under tree cover. I was leaning towards the GPS 76 by Garmin. At this point any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks!

I use an older(three years old) Magellan "Blazer 12" and it seems to have pretty good lateral reception, and that is what you need in the trees. seems to work ok for me and in the Pacific Northwest, we do have a lot of tree cover. However it still blanks out in deep cover. I think most newer GPS's all have better antennas now and should work ok in the trees. My next GPS will be WASS enabled, when I can afford it! Bob G (1pilot)

Is the little Yellow Garmin E-Trex. I live in the desert, so I have not had a problem with trees. It seems to work just great in and around the mountains. So far, I have found its accuracy to be within 5 feet. This E-trex, along with the ExpertGPS software has been just what I needed. Good luck in your search.

Mike.

Thanks for the great responses! I just picked up a 76 to try. After telling the salesman that i wasnt sure, he still talked me into it saying he would be happy to give a refund if i didnt like it for whatever reason. Its so much faster and more sesitive than my old 40. Will try in the woods and if all goes well i'll be one happy mudfrog,,,,

You said "Hiking"...

If by this you mean having a pack with a sleeping bag, tent, esbit stove, etc. on your back, I would recommend an eTrex model. The size and weight are hard to beat, and it is easier than hollowing out the handle of your toothbrush.....

If by "hiking" you mean "walking around in the woods", some great units are:

Magellan Meridian series

eTrex series (Vista is the best)

76S

If you get ANY of these, you can't go wrong. Keep in mind that the 76S and Vista are limited to 24MB. The Meridian can go to 128MB, if this is important to you.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

I bought a GPS 76 last November and really like it. I use it in my business, to document equipment locations, and it also works great for geocaching and marine applications. The large high res display is easy to read, the unit is waterproof, and the quad antenna will hold a sat lock under heavy tree cover and in hilly terrain, even riding in my shirt pocket.

I also like the ease and accuracy with which it will allow me to determine an offset position with the map page pointer, with just a distance and bearing to the position.

And it floats!

FWIW,

CharlieP

PS - I see that you have a GPS76 now. Check to see if it has the latest firmware, ver 2.08. If not, download it from the Garmin site.

quote:
limited to 24MB. The Meridian can go to 128MB, if this is important to you.

quote:
Kinda confused here, Harrkev. Why do recommend a unit w/ 24-128mb memory for just hiking? That may be a little overkill if you don't need mapping IMO.

Topo maps are a little bigger than street maps. They add up pretty quick if you want to load a reasonable area. icon_wink.gif

Preperation the first law to survival.

pulse_b.jpg

quote:
limited to 24MB. The Meridian can go to 128MB, if this is important to you.

quote:
Kinda confused here, Harrkev. Why do recommend a unit w/ 24-128mb memory for just hiking? That may be a little overkill if you don't need mapping IMO.

Topo maps are a little bigger than street maps. They add up pretty quick if you want to load a reasonable area. icon_wink.gif

Preperation the first law to survival.

pulse_b.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I ended up buying the 76 and so far i love it. Its easy to use and works so much better than my old 40. Heck, im sitting here in my computer room about 3 feet from the window with the shades down and it acquired enough satelites to give me my position! Havnt lost a signal yet while in the woods. Thanks again!!!