Etrex question

Guest JSB-1958

Guest JSB-1958

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you properly attach the lanyard included with the Etrex to the unit?

There is a small looped end, which appears that it could be inserted through the pin molded in the plastic on the bottom of the unit, but this looks like it would place a lot of stress on the plastic that is only about 1/16 of an inch thick and would very quickly break off.

Also, the optional case has a slit which aligns with this attachment point? on the etrex, but with the square plastic piece on the looped part of the string, it won't go through there.

Does someone know how this was designed to be used?

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Remove the battery cover. Run the small looped end thru the small slot on the bottom of the unit. Slide it thru until the plastic piece is against the unit then thread the thicker looped end thru the small looped end and pull tight. Make sure the plastic piece goes thru the loop as you pull it tight.

legendcord.jpg

------------------

athiker

[This message has been edited by athiker (edited 20 September 2001).]

Guest JSB-1958

That's what I had figured out, though it seemed that the small plastic pin that the small cord was looped around seemed quite fragile to be supporting the entire weight of the unit.

Guest Iron Chef

n into the nasty habit of swinging my Etrex Venture around by the cord while geocaching... (not a suggested use of your gps by the way *grins*)... and it's held strong.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Chris Juricich

I've had my eTrex hanging from that lanyard around my neck on dozens of cache-hunts and have had no difficulty. It's a sturdy little unit and it hardly weighs anything, anyway.

That being said, I'll be selling my long reliable (ok, two months!) unit as I'll be receiving my Garmin GPSMAP 76 by next week.

WAAS, baby!!

Guest austintek

And all this time I had the lanyard connected to the D-ring on the back that holds the back on. Honestly, I didn't know this thingy was there, it's not illustrated in the manual..