My eTREX is broken?!? What?....

I was involved in a tipover yesterday, and my etrex went for a quick swim. I was thinking it would be alright and I tried to turn it on and nothing happened! Thinking I just needed to dry it out, I waited a few hours and tried again...it worked, but couldn't lock on any sattellites and the data was messed up.

I tried this morning, and the screen was full of condensation and the unit turned on, but I couldn't shut it off! I had to take out the batteries! the Up and Down buttons are non-functioning (stuck) and so is the ENTER button. Basically it is broken. I have NEVER had it in the water, and I thought it would be fine...it was even in the GARMIN neoprene case. For something that supposedly can withstand 1M for 30 min., it didn't even come close!! Should I send it back to GArmin? OR take it back to Best Buy where it has an Extended Warr.?

This is not good that something that should be waterproof faired this poorly...

My Etrex has survived one good dunking and I often hose it off if it gets muddy on from a muddy ATV ride and it has not yet failed. Yours must have gotten enough moisture in it to get some water on the circuit board. I'd suggest giving it some more time to dry out, in a warm area or not too hot sunshine. It may take a few days as there is not much of a hole for moisture to escape. I did this with and FRS radio and it works fine now. It would help if you could open it up, but the Etrex comes apart hard. Other than that, take it back if you can...

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Other than that, take it back if you can...

but when I'm responsible for the screw-up, taking it back isn't an option.... Just one man's opinion.

I would agree w/ brdad, let the unit dry out several days. Most electronics are not harmed by water if allowed to dry out before being placed under power... If that doesn't work, it's time to go shopping... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Other than that, take it back if you can...

but when I'm responsible for the screw-up, taking it back isn't an option.... Just one man's opinion.

I would agree w/ brdad, let the unit dry out several days. Most electronics are not harmed by water if allowed to dry out before being placed under power... If that doesn't work, it's time to go shopping... icon_biggrin.gif

In my opinion, if it is supposed to be "waterproof", so I would hardly agree it was my fault it failed. I bought my Etrex because it was waterproof and knowing the way I am (If there is a wet spot, I will find it) it was the thing to buy. However, I would not tell them I dunked it unless I had too!

quote:

In my opinion, if it is supposed to be "waterproof", so I would hardly agree it was my fault it failed. I bought my Etrex because it was waterproof and knowing the way I am (If there is a wet spot, I will find it) it was the thing to buy. However, I would not tell them I dunked it unless I had too!

I stand corrected.... they do carry the rating which should support the 'dunking' mentioned above.... my most humble apologies.... icon_frown.gif

49061_400.gif

quote:

I stand corrected.... they do carry the rating which should support the 'dunking' mentioned above.... my most humble apologies.... icon_frown.gif

49061_400.gif

I believe the etrex is only 'waterproof' rated at "1 meter for 30 minutes".

That said, it is very likely that in your 'tipover', you surpassed the 1 meter depth, as someone falling in the water doesn't usually immediately float on the surface.

And once having reached a 'critical point of failure' depth, the unit probably leaked like a sieve.

I, too, suffered a "tipover" with my Etrex Legend in my pocket (actually fell out of the boat while loading it onto a trailer). I was only in the water for a moment and only around a meter (due to the belly flop entry). My GPS acted like yours did; working intermittently and then, finally, not at all (within the course of a day). Believing that the situation would be remedied when the water evaporated, I left the unit out in the sun for the entire next day (to reduce the probability of water droplets on the circuitry and to improve the possibility of the evaporation of moisture through whatever small hole that allowed it to enter in the first place). At the end of the day, I could still see a lot of moisture in the case and the unit would not turn on at all.

Since I was certain that Garmin would consider my "tipover" to void the warranty, and I needed to use it for some night time navigation, I decided to enter the unit and remove the moisture myself. Using a pocket knife, I carefully separated the gasket from the unit. I mildly cut the gasket in a couple of places. I separated the case and removed the remaining moisture. I reassembled the case and the gasket (without glue, which I did not have). The unit works perfectly.

I have documented this to Garmin, asking if they would honor the warranty (despite my entry) or send or sell me a replacement gasket. They've not replied (in contrast to a previous warranty issue regarding the display, which they handled quite well).

I sent my Legend in on Monday and received it the following Monday. The tech that I exchanged emails with was very responsive and said this (Mid Summer) is their busy time. So I am impressed that their service took a week. My father crushed his display and had equally good service from Garmin. I would almost guess that it may take longer for your store bought extended warranty service than w/ Garmin - you can always email them. I think that Garmin sending Submanager a new gasket is a class act.