Sportrak Pro, great price

While the sportrak pro isn't necessarily my favorite receiver, this link I got off the sci.geo newsgroup has it for what has to be one of the best values around at $130 for the Pro with free shipping:

http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ShowItem&item_number=3&product_code=EL259&sku=100

I personally haven't ever dealt with the company other than to buy gas, so I can't make any recommendations on dealing with them. Just thought I'd pass the info on.

Update: Just looked a little farther and found the sportrak map for $100 on the same site:

http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.cfm

[This message was edited by Searching_ut on July 28, 2003 at 01:03 PM.]

For those of you who did get in on this great deal, don't forget that you can also get a $30 rebate from Magellan on the Sportrak Pro or Sportrak Map. Go to this link for the rebate form: https://www.magellangps.com/en/store/promotions/30_50_75.asp

And if you buy a qualifying MapSend product you'll qualify for a $50 rebate instead of only $30.

[This message was edited by Team Trout on July 29, 2003 at 07:33 AM.]

I ordered one yesterday (30-JUL-2003). The site claims 1-2 business days to process. I will let you know if it really ships. I am somewhat skeptical since the price is so low compared to other shopping sites.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Update ...

Just saw that my tracking number shows it shipped last night - I also checked the site again and did not see this listed as a refurbished item. They do have items that are refurbished and are marked by a special graphic. Looks like its really a new unit.

[This message was edited by lpfahler on July 31, 2003 at 07:06 AM.]

I ordered one yesterday, July 30, from the Flying J E-Store. They already provided me the UPS tracking number, so it must be on its way. An incredible deal at $129.99 with no tax or shipping. Now I just wonder if Magellan will honor the additional $30 rebate on a refurbished unit.

quote:
Now I just wonder if Magellan will honor the additional $30 rebate on a refurbished unit.

jgreening,

My UPS tracking shows mine should be here on Monday. I'm curious, why do you think these are refurbished units? I can't find any mention of that anywhere on the website. It does however mention that they come with a 1 year warranty, which is the warranty you get with a new one.

[This message was edited by Team Trout on July 31, 2003 at 05:46 AM.]

I received the following email from Flying J after ordering my unit:

"These are brand new units, in original factory packaging. We do not offer

a rebate, so you would have to check with Magellan to see if these qualify

for a factory rebate. These units come with a PC data cable.

Thanks for your interest,

Marti Hammon

Flying J E-Store"

OK, I am newer than a newbie. Been reading about geocaching for a few days and I'm already hooked! After some research I decided to go with the Sport Trak Pro, especially at that price. Went to the above mentioned site and ordered one. Went back to the site 15 minutes later and it said "Sold Out". Maybe I got the last one today? Maybe I won't even get one? Also, the Magellan rebate for $50 states that you must purchase the GPS and the CD at the same time. That site does not offer the CD so I guess if I bye it somewhere else today I will only get the $30 rebate. I wrote to Magellan to see if they would honor the $50 rebate since I bought the CD and unit separately, I'll let you know what they say. By the way, the Sport Trak is still available at that site for $99. I would check back in a few days for the SP Pro.

My Uncle from Team Trout gave me the heads up on the great deal at Flying J E-Store on tuesday 7/29, so the next night 7/30 around 9pm I tried to purchase the Sport Trak Pro and to my disappointment they were sold out icon_frown.gif. But by reading prior replys we thought we would check back on thursday 7/31. They were still sold out icon_confused.gif, then 5 minutes later they had more in stock icon_smile.gif, I quickly logged on "at work" icon_razz.gifand purchased my unit. Within an hour or so they were sold out again. I already have my tracking number and I am ready to go Caching... Thanks.

That's a great price -- makes me wonder if there's some shake-up coming in the product line. Or maybe truckers are such a big market for GPS that Flying J was able to swing a geat deal with Thales.

Anybody here actually have one yet from Flying J? Not "someone told me..." but actually bought and received it yet? I'm curious about the packaging (box, plastic plister, etc...) and what accessories were included.

---

LDR.

Lee David Rimar,

As Embra mentions above, someone in the Yahoo Group Magellan_Meridian posted this:

"From: "vapaazmd"

Date: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:28 am

Subject: Sportrak Pro Unit Received

I responded to message 15387 (my thanks to the author) and ordered a sportrak pro from www.flyingjestore.com on Monday July 28. The

price was irresistable. A flat $129.99 with no shipping and no sales tax. Amazingly it arrived yesterday from Ogden UT to Mesa AZ. Its' a new unit (not reconditioned) and apparently not opened by anyone but me."

Mine is scheduled to arrive on Monday, I'll let you know about it when I receive it.

Well, they are back up for sell. I just purchased one and I dont even need one. I just couldnt let that price get away. I purchased one for my father-in-law for $250 last year for Christmas. Get this, Magellan is offerning a $30 rebate on the unit. So, no tax, no shipping, $30 rebate... in the end, I'll pay $100 for this gps. You can't beat that!!!! Woohoo!!!

[This message was edited by dive4cb on August 01, 2003 at 08:07 PM.]

They have them, then they don't every other hour. Just keep checking if they are out. Other good news... I bought the unit from Flying J and want to get the Topo CD from Amazon. I wrote a letter to Magellan stating that I thought their policy of having to buy both together as a package to get the refund was unfair (it says this on the rebate slip!). They wrote back and gave me some exec's name to mention when I mail in the rebate SO you can still get the $50 rebate if you buy both the unit and the CD from different vendors. Now I need to decide how bad I need the CD having never geocached before :-).

Hmmm...OK, I certainly wish to help everyone here out best I can, I'm a bit hesitant since I didn't get my CD or Pro yet, as I hate to have a dozen people do this and then when I decide to mail it in they're a bit burned out on "special requests", but here goes. By the way, you didn't hear this from me :-).I'll cut and paste some of my communique with them, this should save y'all some $:

Me to Magellan -

Today I have purchsed a Magellan Sport Trak Pro and the Mapsend Topo CD. After purchasing the GPS unit, I decided to buy the CD and did so from a different vendor (the vendor I purchased the GPS from did not offer the CD). Certainly you will honor your $50 rebate, will you not? Just because I purchased them from two different vendors only hours apart is no reason to disallow my rebate. After I made the purchases I went to your website to print the coupon and saw that it said both must be purchased together. Come on, I bought both your products today and believe I am due the $50 rebate. Please confirm that you WILL honor this before I mail it in.

Their internal chatter -

Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 8:37 AM

To: Pat Allen

Subject: FW: Magellan Website Contact Form

Pat we will honor?

Tammy

Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 11:45 AM

To: Tammy Pedroza

Subject: RE: Magellan Website Contact Form

Yes, just make sure to tell him to say either you or I approved prior to him sending it into TCA for processing!

Pat

Their reply to me -

Please enclose this email with your rebate correspondence. Be sure to state that Pat Allen or I did approve the rebate for processing.

Kind Regards,

Tammy Pedroza

Thales Navigation

960 Overland Court

San Dimas, Ca 91773

Tel: 909-394-5000

Fax: 909-394-7050

Now it would suit me if you got them to send YOU an email so you don't mail in mine. I started all this just by emailing them from their website to both customer service AND North American Sales.

Best of luck to y'all!

Es

Lee David Rimar,

I received my Magellan SporTrak Pro today icon_smile.gif. It came in an original box with the clear circle safety sticker in tact. The manuals have no cracks on the bindings and the GPS has the original scratch proof stickee on the lens. There is no screwdriver marks or scratches. These definatley are not re-furb's.

Enjoy & Happy Caching.

Essiar,

I wrote to Magellan stating my case about the rebate much in the same way you did. I made it clearthat I purchased the two products from two different places at different times. This is the reply I got:

"Thank you for your interest in our products. You do qualify for the $50.00 rebate. Please submit all of the information into our fulfillment center.

Thank you & best regards,

Thales Navigation/Magellan products"

No mention was made of any exec's name, etc. They didn't even ask me to send a copy of the email. I guess they don't care too much about the issue now. Even so, I'll be sending a copy of the email along with my rebate just to be safe.

Just got a message from Marti a few minutes ago myself. I'm pasting the message as received below. Grrrrr... Anybody got an extra they want to get rid of?

Hello,

Unfortunately, there was a limited supply of these available and they are

all sold out. I wish I could get a thousand or so more of these at that

price, but I can't. The only GPS that I have remaining is the "SporTrak

Map". It is being offered at a substantial savings also on the e-store.

Thanks for your interest,

Marti Hammon

Flying J E-Store

Team Trout:

Cool. I guess they have had a few requests since my post and they just changed the requirements. If you run into any problems (which it doesn't sound like you will) go ahead and tell them a friend said to mention the execs names I have posted.

Hunted down and found my first cache today (in 103 degree heat, yuk!) with my 7 yr old daughter. It was a blast!

Glad to see the deal worked out for at least a few. In a way though, I'm almost glad it ended. Every day I had to keep diciplining myself not to buy yet another GPS unit for my collection. I've already got more than I can carry in my two hands. icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck those just starting geocaching. It can be quite an adventure.

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

Glad to see the deal worked out for at least a few. In a way though, I'm almost glad it ended. Every day I had to keep diciplining myself not to buy yet another GPS unit for my collection. I've already got more than I can carry in my two hands. icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck those just starting geocaching. It can be quite an adventure.

If you have more than you can handle, do you have any you want to sell?

Red Ant Family said:

quote:
If you have more than you can handle, do you have any you want to sell?

I'm afraid I don't have one I'm looking to part with at the moment. I always seem to have more takers than stuff I'm looking to get rid of.

If you're in the market for a receiver however, this thread references a source of factory refurbed Meridian platinums for $179 Probably the best bang for the buck out there at the moment.

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=68660087