Meridian Platinum - Car mount anyone?

Sportcat

Anyone use the suction car mount, or the window mount for the Meridian series? I'm curious how these two different mounts match up.

I have a Honda CRV that has a slight texture to the dash. I wonder if that would prevent the dash mount from "suctioning" well.

The window mount is more expensive, but looks like there would be no problems.

Anyone have experience with these mounts?

Hmmm, I'm not sure what the difference between the "suction car mount" is and the "window mount." Does Magellan offer two vehicle mounts?

trendyimports_1717_451419

This is the mount that I used for my Meridian (until it was stolen). Well, when I buy a new vehicle mount, it won't be this one. I will go with a RAM mount next time.

The Magellan model did hold the GPS alright, but it wasn't very stable. I was simply left with the impression that it was a cheap design.

I liked having a vehicle mount, and the Magellan did the job adequately, but there are better mounts out there.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

...when I buy a new vehicle mount, it won't be this one. I will go with a RAM mount next time.

So I went to look around for a RAM mount. It's awfully confusing. Bases, and cradles, and mounts...

I have a Meridian Gold. I want a RAM mount that will attach firmly to my windshield. Could someone explain what I need, and where to get it?

Is this what I need?

Jamie

QUOTE]So I went to look around for a RAM mount. It's awfully confusing. Bases, and cradles, and mounts...

I have a Meridian Gold. I want a RAM mount that will attach firmly to my windshield. Could someone explain what I need, and where to get it?

Is http://www.gpscity.com/accram/rapb148/rapb148ma2.html what I need?

Jamie

I had some questions about the right mount for my Visor with GPS Companion. I called GPS City and they were most helpful.

Byron

I use the window mount for my ST Pro. It is the exact same system except for the cradle itself. Power cable slips in, cradle latches the GPSR in, etc. etc.

I do not bend it as pictured in the post above. Turn the cradle 180 and hang the mount straight down. Weight of GPSr more evenly distributed across the cups. Has never come off.

Edit: Jamie Z, not sure what you meant by "not very stable...cheap design".

don

I too use the suction cup window mount for the ST Pro. It is really easy to use and it seems very stable. It hasn't fallen off even in cold weather. The only thing that you need to be sure of is if you are using the power cord make sure you snap it in tight. I have had a few times that I thought that I was on external power but was really on the batteries. Not a real problem I use NiMH so I just recharge them when I have too.

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

not sure what you meant by "not very stable...cheap design".

Let me preface by saying I'm a very picky consumer. I scrutinize the products I spend my money on quite carefully--plus I'm going to school to be an engineer.

My impression of the Magellan vehicle mount was soured right when I tried to put it together out of the package. The cradle attached to the bracket with four little screws that were held by non-threaded plastic holes. Bad design, in my opinion. The screws were much too small, and the holes could easily be stripped out. so I was very careful not to strip the holes out so the screws wouldn't hold at all.

This resulted in the cradle being a little loose. Not rattling loose, but it wasn't tight enough and the cradle would rotate itself if I were driving on a slightly bumpy road.. or if I turned the unit to keep the glare away, it would turn itself back after a little while. When I tried to tighted the screws a bit more, I stripped one of them out and made the problem worse.

Where the bendable arm attached to the GPS, there was a little play. This meant that even if I had everything attached firmly, my GPS still moved and vibrated a little.

While the suction cups never came loose from my window, I thought they were positioned too close to a straight line. They should be positioned as a triangle, giving the mount some stability. As it is, with the three cups being nearly on a line, there is easy up and down movement, so I had to rest the cradle on my dash.

All this for $30 or whatever that I paid for it wasn't worth it to me. It did the job to hold my GPS, and if it were the only one on the market, I suppose I'd buy another, but it's not, and I won't

I haven't used one yet, but I've see a RAM cell phone holder once, and they appear to be much better designed and constructed parts.

Jamie

Rather than pay the inflated price for a "proper" GPS mount I went to our local car parts superstore and bought a mobile phone (cellphone) holder. This has a suction mount for fixing to the windscreen and works perfectly.

As I've got a Meriplat I had to search for one which was wide enough but at £10 it was a bargain.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:

All this for $30 or whatever that I paid for it wasn't worth it to me. It did the job to hold my GPS, and if it were the only one on the market, I suppose I'd buy another, but it's not, and I won't

There's really no comparison between the Magellan and RAM window mount. The Magellan looked and felt like a cheap hunk o' junk to me. The RAM Mounts are sturdier since they actually use metal. Plus, it's a monotasker. It's a one trick pony. I (and Alton Brown) hate that.

If you have a mountain bike or motorcycle, with RAM Mounts, you buy a new base. Ten bucks is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new mount.

The same arm and GPS cradle can move between my Xterra, VW Baja, and landsailer/mountain bike if I ever get them. It takes all of ten seconds to do the swap, too.

Plus, if I ever get another GPS unit (not bloody likely. This is more applicable to people who upgrade to a Meridian from an eTrex. icon_smile.gif), it's all of ten bucks to buy a new cradle.

Engineering types will also appreciate the good sized machine screws and nylock nuts used to secure the cradle to the ball plate.

Get the four inch suction cup mount kit instead of the one you mentioned earlier. It's almost like cementing the mount to your windshield.

RAM Mounts are more versatile and better built than the manufacturer's units. They're probably cheaper in the long run, too.

Jamie, do you suppose you got an early model, or a quality control refugee? My unit did not need to be put together. Right out of the blister pack all I had to do was loosen the screws so the cradle would swivel when I wanted it to. The only thing I would like to see is larger cups. Hanging the mount straight down from higher up on the windshield instead of out from the bottom reduces the moment arm during normal driving(up and down motion). I do agree that the center cup should have been farther up the arm--producing a more triangular configuration.

I bounce the Pro around plenty on these high desert back roads(if you can call them roads) and all is well so far

quote:

do you suppose you got an early model

There's no question I got an early model. I was on Amazon's pre-order list before it came out.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

I went to our local car parts superstore and bought a mobile phone (cellphone) holder

I like this idea except that one of my favorite features of the dedicated Magellan mount is that it holds the 12v cable in the right spot. Just snap the unit into place and it's already running off the lighter socket. Er... looking at the pictures of the RAM cradle, it doesn't look like it does this. Can someone confirm?

I think I'm gonna take Byron's advice and give GPSCity a call... and follow Craegerstone's suggestion to get the 4" suction cup. Assuming it isn't outrageously expensive.

Jamie

Art, I'll let you know how it works out.

Right now I have to correct a problem with my order. I got an email when I got home from work that says my address didn't match my billing address.

Hopefully I'll have it before my big upcoming caching trip...

Of course, I'm still waiting on my Meridian to come back. Wouldn't want to get the vehicle mount and have no GPS.

Jamie

quote:

Art, I'll let you know how it works out.

Right now I have to correct a problem with my order. I got an email when I got home from work that says my address didn't match my billing address.

Jamie

I just jumped on their site to order one as well and it says they are out of stock on it. Looks the cradle is what they are out of....

Mike

Gsdvr

Huntsville

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wallace:

...they are out of stock on it.

Heh. Yeah. I called this morning to fix the address mixup (strange, the bank had on record some address I used a long time ago, even though I get my statements in the mail just fine) and when it was finally worked out, the rep told me that the order went through, but now they were out of stock.

She told me they should have a shipment in by tomorrow.

Very helpful, although the first guy I spoke with had a very sarcastic tone to his voice, even though he seemed to go out of his way to help me. Oh well.

Jamie

After seeing some friend's GPSR's mounted on the suction cup thingys out on the 4wd trails, I decided to order the swivel-mount because I wanted more stability. I'm not concerned about permanently mounting the thing in my truck, so I figured it would be great. Well, I discovered that the unit is too tall to fit on the dash of my Toyota Tacoma. So, I ended up fabricating a bracket for it. It is mounted now, and I really like it. But, I thought I would toss out a "heads up" for anyone considering a permanently mounted swivel base for their vehicle. You need to check the dimensions first. The swivel mount is really nice and fits the MeriPlat PERFECTLY. As Jamie mentioned, the power cable snaps into the back of the cradle, providing instant external power as soon as you put the Magellan in place.

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!

Well, I ordered my RAM mount from GPS City on January 6. At the time, it was listed as in stock.

The next day I got an email that said there was a problem with my order. I called, corrected the problem and the rep then told me that the part was out of stock.

The website (as of this writing) says it is due January 9, which was four days ago. My order has not yet been shipped.

Anyone know somewhere else I can get this RAM mount?

Jamie

everyone needs a different mount for the Meridian, or ST Pro for that matter. If you prepare your windshield and suction cups properly, and hang the factory mount and cradle properly, it is perfectly suitable.

You clean your windshield with a non-residue agent like vinegar, and you rub a little oil from the side of your nose on the inside surface of the cups.

You don't attach it so that the cradle and arm sit at right angles to the suction cups (that's why it vibrates so much! icon_mad.gif), you keep the cradle in-line with the cups and arm and hang it straight down from the windshield, attached at about the same height as the rear view mirror.

The normal motion of a vehicle is up and down, and this mount configuration reduces that effect to the point that I can read the screen while I'm bouncing around. I personally don't see the need to spend even more money on modifications or another mount when that same money will get me an SD card, software, pwr/data cable, or whatever.

You can do it if you like, and for the challenge of it, but don't tell me you need to because the Magellan mount system sucks. Proper technique is all that is required.

don

quote:

Proper technique is all that is required.

Don... the free vehicle mount I got with my Meridian repair is much better than the one I bought a while back, but it's still shoddy.

There is too much play between the cradle and the bendable arm. Play which (as far as I can tell) cannot be tightened. Heck, just having a bendable arm rather than an arm with rigid adjustments is bad design, in my opinion.

I tried your technique for mounting (hanging down) and it does work better than the way I had it. It does cut down the vibration, but the GPS is still too loose.

I can't even press a button on the GPS without it wanting to twist. Rather, I have to grasp the unit as if I'm holding it in my hand in order to press the buttons.

Minor annoyances, true. But when there is something better out there, why should I tolerate annoyances?

Jamie

Hi Jamie. Not directed at you specifically, but all the posters in general. I remembered that you have an early version, and in your case if you can fix it with other parts and brands cheaper than buying a new one, then that seems reasonable. But others here and other places have poo-poo'ed the Mag mounts, seemingly for reasons irrational.

Good luck on your mod.

don

Just thought I would throw my two cents in.

I first bought a sportrak pro which came bundled with the suction cup window mount, then I got my wife into the activity and we ended up with a second gpsr, this time a magplat, I bought the swivel mount for this to remedy some of the issues I had with it bouncing around though as I read this perhaps I just needed to mount it differently. I use the swivel mount with some velcro attached to the bottom to secure it to the dash of my car and would not be without the built in holder for the external power. Also, the cradles for the units will work with the different mounts, ie.. I can swap between the sporttrak cradle and the plat cradle in my swivel mount without much trouble, one hand screw and out it comes. The suction cup window mount is considerably more painful to change cradles on, but possible.

After much anticipation, I finally got my RAM Meridian vehicle mount. I thought I'd give a few brief impressions.

Wow.

When I first opened the package, I was very impressed with the quality of the parts. Three pieces came bagged separately for assembly: The 4-inch suction cup, a standard-size arm, and the cradle.

To put it together, I used two machine screws and nuts (supplied with a few extra) to attach the mounting socket to the cradle, then I had to attach the arm to each socket on the cradle and the suction cup. The entire process took less than five minutes, and was very intuitive.

I've only used the mount for a couple of hours during a drive to a friends house, but I think it's enough to form an opinion.

Attaching the mount to the windshield is very quick and easy. I used no moisture, but simply pushed the unit into the glass. It stuck firmly, even with my tugging at it. I installed the GPS into the cradle, which was a little cumbersome (more on that later) and then adjusted it for viewing from my position. Adjustment is simple. There is a large thumbscrew on the arm, which when loosened, allows almost infinite movement of the cradle, much like the movement of your shoulder or hip. The cradle moves up, down, left, right, and rotates without problem. After tightening the thumbsrew, the GPS is solid.

While driving, the GPS only jiggles very slightly. It is attached firm enough for me to press the buttons without holding my hand on the GPS, something I wasn't able to do using the Magellan vehicle mount.

Unattaching the RAM mount from the windshield is easy, too. There is a small tab on the suction cup, and when you pull up on the tab, the mount simply falls away from the glass. Without wetting, I was able to firmly reattach it.

Although I own no other RAM accessories, I can see that if I did, I could interchange parts very easily. I can imagine putting a different cradle on the mount within seconds, or moving this cradle to a different style mount just as easily.

Also, this thing looks good. It has a stocky look like it should be mounted in a AM General Hummer.

The negatives. Yes, there are some things that I think could be improved.

Parts of the RAM mount are made with aluminum with a rubber or plastic coating. This makes nearly the entire unit all black. The problem is that I've noticed that in some places, the coating has already flaked off. Around the screw holes where I attached the cradle to the arm, the screws have peeled the coating away from the metal. Same for the ball and sockets. Where they rub, there looks to be some flaking. Not a real big deal, and doesn't appear to affect the fuctionality, but it gives a slight cheap-o appearence.

The suction cup. Not truly a negative, but I've had the suction cup come off the windshield by itself one time. During 10° weather, I stuck the mount onto the windshield and then drove a few miles down the road and stopped for gas. While I was pumping gas, the mount came off the windshield. I think that as the air warmed and expanded, the vacuum inside the cup was lost. Also, I didn't wet the windshield or cup before mounting. I think that would reduce or eliminate that problem.

The cradle is not as good as the Magellan cradle. To my untrained eye, they both seem to be made from very similar materials, but the design of the Magellan cradle allows very quick and easy installation of the GPS. The RAM cradle requires two hands, as you need to bend (bending? Reeks of poor design) part of the cradle to istall the GPS. More importantly, the Magellan mount holds the 12v cable in place and automatically makes contact with the GPS when installed in the cradle. The RAM cradle, while designed with a space to accommodate the 12v cable, requires that you attach the cord to the GPS using the screw prior to inserting the GPS into the cradle.

To remedy the cradle issue, I plan to modify my Magellan mount to fit the RAM mounting socket.

Prices:

RAM Meridian Mount with 4" Suction Cup at GPS City: $39.95

Magellan Meridian Vehicle Mounting Bracket at Amazon: $31.95

Any questions?

Jamie