Meridian Gold is same as Basic with map??

beebin

The only difference I can see from the spec sheet between the basic Meridian and the Gold is the size of the basemap (2mb vs 16mb).

On ebay, I can buy a basic for $125 + $40 card + $40 map and have the same thing as a $225 Gold but without the disc or super-detailed cd map.

I have to be missing something, right? The only thing I can think of is if I am somewhere with the GPS where I didn't upload the map, I would have less info on the basemap in the basic.

That and the fact that you would probably get the SD card and map for the gold as well, since the built in basemep is none too detailed for your local streets.

I use my color for driving and caching. I just bought a green for my wife, and the accuracy and detail with loaded maps (maps I loaded to the GPS) are the same. The green cost $270 less than the color.

The only Meridian that is really different is the platinum which has an electronic compass and barometer.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Actually there is one more difference which is minor but could be a pain if you're not careful.

It's best explained here:

http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/meridiandalaloss.htm

basically, you just have to make sure not to let the batteries run dry or you might lose you waypoint data that you've entered since your last power-off

But in my opinion, you'd still buy the card and map cd whether you got a base meridian or a gold..or the plat for that matter

i got a yellow meridian and i'm very happy with it.

-pizzachef

The firmware updates for the Gold are different.

The Green doesn't take the 4.02 or the 4.06 firmware upgrades. I don't know if the upgrade it does take has card utilities and the added menus.

These menus are useful. I would check into that.

As for the memory card. The 128 meg is cheap now, $45. It's also plenty of room.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

The base Meridian is a great deal, and your reasoning is pretty much on the money. There are some subtle differences in the basemaps that are not insignificant, though not a big deal IMHO. For instance (if my less-than perfect memory serves), the names of cities come from the base map, even when the detail map displays. So the detail map may show a town complete with street names, but not show the town name.

I've been using a 64MB card with plenty of room to spare, but the 128MB cards are nicely priced. For most people that's more than enough.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I have a Merigreen which I am very happy with.

As to basemap, I never really use mine. I usually never go above the 1.6mi or .8 mi zoom levels.

With the SD cards, you can load such a large region, that if I'm travelling, I just make sure I load a detail map that covers anywhere near where I will be travelling.

So I think the difference in basemap detail size is almost non-relevant, IMHO.

As to firmware, the Green/Yellow does have its own version of 4.02, and the most recent 4.03.

Both of these versions as well as 3.12, include the Card Utilities menu.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/