Garmin Basemap vs. MetroGuide

I'm just about ready to make my first ever GPS purchase -- but I still have one or two questions that I'd like answered before making my final decision. I think I'm going to go for a Garmin Legend, with European basemap (and hopefully link it to my Pocket PC, too).

I was just wondering, what is the difference between the basemap and the MetroGuide Europe software? Is it just that the basemap is a much less detailed map than what you can get from the CD? (I'm wondering whether to go for a Legend/MetroGuide bundle for an extra £66.)

Is the 8 Mb memory on the Legend in addition to the basemap, or does the basemap eat up some of that 8 Mb?

Is the basemap stored in ROM, or can it be swapped out for, say, the America basemap that comes on these units in the US? (My wife is American, and there's a good chance we may move back to the States at some point. I take it these units work worldwide...?)

Oh, and one final question: What is the difference between the MetroGuide and the Roads & Recreation CDs?

Thanks, all, for helping a newbie get into the game! icon_smile.gif

First, you can read my thoughts about the MetroGuide Europe here.

Second, the basemap covers Europe and Africa in 8 MB. The MG Europe covers Wales in 8 MB (roughly). That it is significantly more detailed is no surprise. It's also more precise, i.e. items represented on the basemap may be some hundred meters off, whilst on the MG Europe they are usually only some meters off.

With MetroGuide loaded into the unit, there is also the possibility to search for Points of Interest, Addresses and Street Crossings. This cannot be done otherwise. Finally, the "Lock on road" feature works only when MetroGuide maps are loaded into the GPS.

The Legend map memory is actually 16 MB, where you can use 8 MB and the basemap resides in the other 8 MB. A Vista has 32 MB, 24 MB for you and 8 MB for the basemap.

The basemap is stored in the same chip as the downloadable maps, so techically, it can probably be exchanged. However, there is no software tool published yet, that can do this trick. Maybe for marketing reasons, or due to agreements on map licensing fees. You have to buy another GPS for America, or load the European one with MapSource WorldMap, which is something that resembles the basemap. Very inaccurate in many places, unfortunately.

The unit itself will work anywhere on the globe.

In Europe, the MetroGuide and the Roads & Recreation maps are identical. What's missing with the R&R is the database, which allows searching for street names etc. Hence, R&R uses less memory in the unit. It's mainly intended for units like the GPS III+, which has only 1.44 MB of map memory. It can be used in the Legend too, though.

Anders

Wow, lots of useful info -- thanks! icon_smile.gif

From your MetroGuide Europe review, I think it would definitely be worth buying that along with the eTrex Legend. That seems like it would make the unit really useful, rather than just pretty handy.

Now you've got me thinking about spending the extra cash on the Vista, though, and I'm not sure I can afford that. icon_wink.gif

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif