Newbie Wondering...

Not so much as a reply as an add to. Anything specific to avoid? This pertaining to finding used ones in the classifieds and such. Us newbies can stand all the help we can get.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene"

While a cheap, basic unit like the yellow eTrex will help get you to the caches and help you find your way around on a hike, consider spending a little more for one of the more advanced models. A Legend comes with a PC data cable. You would pay an extra $25 - $30 if you wanted to buy the cable for the yellow eTrex. The Legend also contains a pretty good basic basemap already installed. You can also upload more detailed maps into the Legend's 8MB of memory. The yellow eTrex's map page is blank! Your tracks and waypoints are all that will show on the yellow map page. The Legend also has much better graphic resolution, stores more tracks and waypoints. In short, consider spending a little more money and getting a lot more GPS in return, instead of wishing you had this or that later.

Buying a yellow eTrex would be kind of like buying a computer with no sound and no modem. You could still run basic programs like MS Word and Excel, but you couldn't access the Internet and you would be missing some serious bells & whistles! On a computer, you could simply add them on, but once you buy an eTrex - that's all you'll have until you buy another unit!

Really, the minimum is what's required and as I posted, if you could get the cable to connect it to the computer (and obviously a unit that supports that), you'd be all set. The rest is bells and whistles.

I'm assuming it's just for geocaching... so if it's for more then that, you need to specify your needs.

I'm a nOOb, (only 1 cache so far) and I got the Etrex legend at Circuit City for $200. I researced a lot on this forum for about a week deciding what I wanted. Pretty good deal considering you get the pc cable, and a decent base map in it. Can also download maps onto it with the mapsource software. I also hear you can download using the National Geographic TOPO! software. HTH