Samsung & Sprint PCS

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?selectSkuId=samsunga460&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2421&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1028047167039

If that link works, it points to a Samsung phone for Sprint's PCS service. My contract with Cingular is up and I am ready to switch to a company that can actually provide recption in such obscure areas such as the middle of the freeway in Los Angles. Evidently Cingular doesn't think that this is important. But, I am looking at this new phone because it has GPSr capabilities included on it. Then there are models that have the whole palm thing going on. Does anyone have any experience or insight on going this route?

stealyourcache.jpg

Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills

One man gathers what another man spills - St. Stephen (on caching)

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

While I cannot speak a great deal on the GPS portions of that phone, I can comment on SprintPCS and their CDMA network in general.

SprintPCS uses what is concidered by most to be the most advanced and best wireless technology currently in use. CDMA (code division multi access) is quite likely what all wireless carriers will eventually switch to (with 3G).

While SprintPCS (along with all current implememntations of CDMA) doesn't have some of the features that GSM, which is based on TDMA (time division multi access), has; the base technology is superior.

In the states, SprintPCS's network dwarfs the GSM networks, and the abality to use the phone in any of SprintPCS's markets without roaming is an added bonus.

The one thing I would recommend you looking into is a dual-band phone. These will work perfectly well on PrintPCS's CDMA network, and if (or while geocaching WHEN) you wander outside a CDMA network, you can still get on the old AMPS (analog celluar) network.

The wireless web function of these phones gets better and better, and can be quite usefull. As SprintPCS moves toward 3G (with the interim step of CDMA2000) this gets faster and more robust all the time.

The Palm based phones on the marked are indeed an amazing marriage of the two technologies (and when the bandwith opens up, stand back and watch what happens). I use mine (Handspring Visor and SprintPCS Digital Link) to look up geocaching.com pages while ont he trail if I forget to bring printouts. No need for clipping, no need for copy-pasting, I get full HTML (with pictures and maps) if I desire (currently at 14.4) no, not the speediest in the world but percectly usable.

I've probably blathered on enough but I hope this helps a bit.

One last thing.... While not available in the US this is a GPS ebabled phone done correctly.

I, for one, will never use Sprint again.

They are great (unbeatable!) in metro areas. They suck in rural areas. Period. I couldn't even get my Sprint phone to make a roaming call in the middle of Arkansas (in a town of 11,000 people all using several different wireless providers-except for Sprint). I couldn't get Sprint service in a town of 60,000 when I followed a job opportunity back to Arkansas!

I have since went back to Alltel. NO ROAMING- No roaming or long distance in places Sprint has never even heard of. It works in obscure places that geocachers might actually go.

Another thing - and the main reason why I will NEVER use Sprint again:

They totally password lock any phone you buy from them or take to them to have programmed for their service. You will NOT be able switch any tri-mode phone of theirs to use any other service-EVER. I learned this the hard way after dropping $400 for a Kyocera Smartphone from them. The Kyocera is one of the phones with the Palm Pilot built in. Sprint wouldn't release the programming code so I could use it with another service. This is after they admitted they didn't provide service in Jonesboro and wouldn't be any time soon: "sorry, there is nothing we can do." Pure BULL! My only recourse was to Ebay the Sprint phone and purchase through Ebay another IDENTICAL Kyocera Smartphone set up for Verison service. This wouldn't be so bad if the Ebay market wasn't flooded with other dissatisfied former Sprint users trying to also unload THEIR $400 paperweights. I ended up taking about a $200 loss. My Alltel distrubutor had no problem programming the Verizon phone I purchased. As far as I know Sprint is the only wireless provider anal enough to leave someone with a $400 paperweight if you have the audacity to move out of their coverage area. You can have an Alltel phone programmed to use a Verison service or vice versa because they don't password the programming screens.

If you never expect to move out of a major metro area, Sprint may be fine. Just don't buy their service 4 months before you move to some hick town of 60,000 - 75,000 people or so (Jonesboro approaches 75,000 when the local college is in session.) GEEZE I am GLAD my Sprint contract was already up!

Rant over, let the buyer beware.

[This message was edited by Gliderguy on July 30, 2002 at 01:04 PM.]

I also can not speak from direct knowledge of Sprint, but their commercials annoy me. So I wouldn't use them even if they were the best out there. icon_wink.gif

I have Verizon. When I looked at the coverage charts they had the best nation wide coverage. My Nokia phone is a tri band, both digital bands and analog. It is a rare place that I don't have coverage.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

I also can not speak from direct knowledge of Sprint, but their commercials annoy me. So I wouldn't use them even if they were the best out there. icon_wink.gif

I have Verizon. When I looked at the coverage charts they had the best nation wide coverage. My Nokia phone is a tri band, both digital bands and analog. It is a rare place that I don't have coverage.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Bah!

Almost everyone can say pretty much exactly the same thing about the wireless carrier they used to use.

This is why I only mentioned the technology begind SprintPCS.

I hated my old wireless carrier, as you do as well.

For some reason I couldn't find Alltel's coverage map on their site.

I prefer to stay on one network, not roam (even if it is free, its still roaming, and hard-handoffs from Alltel to whoever they're buying service from in large markets don't go well).

Again, its as simple as almost everyone has horror stories about their previous wireless carrier. I do, you do, its common.

And for the record, I do not work for SprintPCS (or any other portion of Sprint). I do however work for a company that makes the base stations for many of the wireless carriers, and spend a good deal of time in different switches across the country (including momandpops like Alltel).

just my .03

The phone description says:

"GPS-Enabled: When available, supports position location services (not currently available in

all markets.)"

Warning: This does NOT mean that the phone has a GPS in it. It means that the phone supports the nessicary protocols to accpet the coordinates of the base station is talking to, and then turn around and send those along to web sites accessed via the wireless web browser in the phone.

All this so they can send you a coupon for 1/2 off at the nearby fast food resturant! Oh boy - and they expect me to be excited by this....

I dont doubt for one second that Sprint's technology is superior. The call clarity is noticably better when compared to other networks-even Alltel's. But that seems to be Sprint's whole marketing strategy.

I will take customer service and free roaming nationwide from the smallest company out there. Even if my current preffered provider does have a crappy website. icon_wink.gif

With me, Service is king. Technology is secondary as long as it works.

Just curious. Isn't Cingular using the same technology as Sprint? I can't remember, and it is relevant to the original poster, since his old provider is going to be Cingular.

I dont normally get into rant mode, but my bad experience related above was only half the story. My wife had a Sprint Kyocera Smartphone too... icon_rolleyes.gif

I dont doubt for one second that Sprint's technology is superior. The call clarity is noticably better when compared to other networks-even Alltel's. But that seems to be Sprint's whole marketing strategy.

I will take customer service and free roaming nationwide from the smallest company out there. Even if my current preffered provider does have a crappy website. icon_wink.gif

With me, Service is king. Technology is secondary as long as it works.

Just curious. Isn't Cingular using the same technology as Sprint? I can't remember, and it is relevant to the original poster, since his old provider is going to be Cingular.

I dont normally get into rant mode, but my bad experience related above was only half the story. My wife had a Sprint Kyocera Smartphone too... icon_rolleyes.gif

Gliderguy - I wonder if you could have just saved the hassle, and slipped a knowledgeable Sprint guy a couple bejamins and had him unlock it for you. Someone has to know the password.

I am sitting here at my desk, which is underground, and lookng at an AT&T phone, and a Sprint Samsung phone. The Sprint phone has a full signal, and it does work at my desk. The AT&T phone has no signal. Now, to balance this out, the sprint phone did not always have such a wonderfully powerful signal here in my underground cave. When the Democratic National Convention rolled into L.A. back whenever that was, that exact week was when my phone started working underground. I think sprint spent a lot of money here upgrading their network for the DNC. We peons get to reap the rewards.

As for roaming, I have driven from L.A. over to Tx. a number of times, and have to use Analog Roaming out in the middle of nowhere, but I seemed to have a decent signal pretty much all of the time. Could have just been that they keep places like I10 pretty well covered, but for me, it worked out fine. It's too bad they don't give out loaners so you can try out the service where you are going to spend most of your time. But then again, they all might lose customers that way..

Fig

edit: Forgot... I absolutely cannot stand the name "Verizon" and their commercials. They just absolutely grate on my nerves when I see them. I don't know why either, but they annoy me. Maybe because I think that since they used to be GTE, they thought they could get away with just changing their name, and voila new company. It's not that simple. Either way, their commercials are horrid.

Believe me, I understand 'rant mode' when it comes to wireless carriers, but I always make it a point to remind anyone within earhot that these are typical of ALL providers (Sprint, BTW has been by far the best in service I've ever had.... go figure).

As far as Cingular (SBC) goes, I'm pretty sure they're running a CDMA over AMPS system (at least they used to) meaning they took an old 800 mhz system and converted to to digital instead of using a 1900 mhz (or 1800) mhz band .. or something like that).....

Also, Cingular uses the hardware from the company I don't work for (there's realy only 2 or 3 making this stuff) so I can't speak to it a lot.

ALso of interest, I had a job interview with Alltel last week .. nothing came of it as of yet, but it is interesting.

Fig, If I had been on a first name basis with one of the phone techs, I probably could have. On the other hand, I can't use a Sprint phone here in Jonesboro. There is No service from Sprint here. NADA. I would have to drive half way to Memphis to make a free call on my minutes without roaming.

One thing noteworthy to add. Alltel may have Sprint effectively blocked out of Arkansas, since Alltel has their headquarters in Little Rock.

Here is the Total Freedom Coverage map off of the Alltel site. (yea, I know there are valleys where you can't possibly have coverage, but I think the point is they have agreements with all analog providers in the boonies.)

Total Freedom Plan Click the Coverage Map link on this page, for the Total Freedom Plan. I think the National Freedom plan is just slightly less coverage than Verizon's best plan.

Ok, I am through promoting a company that I will probably hate worse than Sprint a year from now icon_biggrin.gif

Fig, If I had been on a first name basis with one of the phone techs, I probably could have. On the other hand, I can't use a Sprint phone here in Jonesboro. There is No service from Sprint here. NADA. I would have to drive half way to Memphis to make a free call on my minutes without roaming.

One thing noteworthy to add. Alltel may have Sprint effectively blocked out of Arkansas, since Alltel has their headquarters in Little Rock.

Here is the Total Freedom Coverage map off of the Alltel site. (yea, I know there are valleys where you can't possibly have coverage, but I think the point is they have agreements with all analog providers in the boonies.)

Total Freedom Plan Click the Coverage Map link on this page, for the Total Freedom Plan. I think the National Freedom plan is just slightly less coverage than Verizon's best plan.

Ok, I am through promoting a company that I will probably hate worse than Sprint a year from now icon_biggrin.gif

I explored one option of an Ebayer who had "instructions for unlocking a sprint phone"

His instructions basically involved duping Sprint into giving you the unlock code by pretending to be the new owner of the phone (and an inept one at that, who can't seem to get the basic unlock code to work, so they have to resort to the master code)

I didn't feel to good about trying it, but my wife talked one of her technically minded friends to give it a try on my wife's (supposedly) disconnectd phone. It didn't work because Sprint had yet to close out the account with my wife more than a month after we requested them to be closed out and service cancelled. (oh, yea, that was something else that reduced my opinion of them... I had almost forgotten icon_biggrin.gif)

Of course, YMMV.

I explored one option of an Ebayer who had "instructions for unlocking a sprint phone"

His instructions basically involved duping Sprint into giving you the unlock code by pretending to be the new owner of the phone (and an inept one at that, who can't seem to get the basic unlock code to work, so they have to resort to the master code)

I didn't feel to good about trying it, but my wife talked one of her technically minded friends to give it a try on my wife's (supposedly) disconnectd phone. It didn't work because Sprint had yet to close out the account with my wife more than a month after we requested them to be closed out and service cancelled. (oh, yea, that was something else that reduced my opinion of them... I had almost forgotten icon_biggrin.gif)

Of course, YMMV.

Listen. I've been yelled at because of this before but here it is again. I like AT&T. It has very good coverage around here. The nokia I have works great, and the customer service has been more than I could want. I have used sprint, and yes the calls are clear, and cdma means no "hard handoffs". However I never had a good signal, and it was useless indoors. and no I don't work for AT&T. It's up to you as it is a very personal thing, but I like mine. (also as a footnote, I was nabbing some caches in the mills, and had four bars of stregnth down in a valley, a big valley. If I had gotten hurt I could still have a line to help. That makes me feel good about caching in remote places)

Joe

Dru:

For service where we live - SoCal - IMHO you've got to go with ATT. They're a year or two behind Sprint when it comes to cool phones/web cabability, but you can actually make a call in most areas you might find yourself in. Sprint's great - or so people claim - in the middle of town, but head out to Joshua Tree, or up 395 towards Lone Pine, and you'll be wondering why all the people passing you in their cars are talking on their phones, and you can't get a signal.

And the dual-mode thing is a must.

How's the magic?

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

GliderGuy, not sure if this works as I'm not familiar with how things work in the US, but have you tried to approach the manufacturer for support ? I reckon they should be able to help you.

Over in Asia, you get shops that specialize in cracking the codes for a small fee. If you are ever out here, bring the phone along and try your luck. I think the charges is equivalent to US$10 or something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

Dru:

How's the magic?

Well, it would be a real trick if I could make a decision about which carrier to use. If only they didn't lock you into a year contract. I am just finishing a two year contract (for the free phone) and am reluctant to carelessly jump into another one.

stealyourcache.jpg "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out." -Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru