MAGELLAN MERIDIAN COLOR

GOT GPS?

This sounds like a really neat gps:

mag-mercol.gif

It will be out soon.

It has a 120 by 160 pixel color screen.

Here is a link from a webpage translated into english:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fagirard%2Efree%2Efr%2FGPS%2Fmagcolor%2Ehtml

Google search of the gps:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%22MAGELLAN+MERIDIAN+COLOR%22

Here is a link from Magellan:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/news/releases/viewRelease.asp?id=224

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

quote:
Originally posted by brasileiro:

what's the advantage of a colored screen? Sounds like less battery life and a higher cost.

As for battery life, I have to assume it is the same tech as the Game boy color. Which seems to last forever on a pair of batteries.

It doesn't appear to be active matrix like a PDA. I've never handled a Street Pilot, I'm not sure if you have to leave the back light on.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

It's just progress for progress sake. A few years from now, we will all be getting a brain implant that will be our cellphone, fax, TV, GPSr, IDENTITY, money and whatever they can think of and our grandkids will laugh when we tell them that back in the old days... we had to 'carry' that old fashion stuff around with us! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just a quick note......

I just talked to tech support and was told the new upgrade (v3.13?) will be

out in a couple months, he mentioned that it will be in the new

Color Meridians.....he also said they will have a fix to take care of

the problem with the Meridian's turning themselves off when you bump

the PWR button, you will have to hit PWR then ENTER to turn them off.

Steve

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I find that it is easy to have too much clutter on a black & white screen when too many pixels are used, so I think that color will give more meaning to each pixel. Also NiMH batteries that are best for high powered digital cameras, will be best for this new GPS. Regular Alkaline batteries will burn out in Just a few shots taken with a digicam, but the NiMH batteries will last quite awhile. I compare this GPS's battery use to the original Garmin GPS III, that ate alkalines in just 8 hours. Hopefully the electronics in this new GPS will eat batteries more slowly. After being used to the Map screen of the Garmin GPS V, with it's high resolution screen, it is too easy to get a cluttered Magellan Meridian screen at 120 by 160 pixel resolution, so I would like to get the Meridian color GPS.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

quote:
Originally posted by bvgps:

Does that mean that we will be able to download a software upgrade for our basic Meridian and so will have the COLOR screen?

bvgps

There is a physical difference between the color and the gray scale. It's not just software.

Although the software, MapSend TOPO and MapSend Streets, should be compatible. Like the game cartridges for the game boy, the color is assigned to the different gradients of gray scale.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

Anders,

Well.. you are one of my new heroes. I've desired to be multi-lingual since I was young, but it seemed such an inaccessible thing. In high school, I only took one year of Spanish, which is just as well, since I didn't give a rat's behind about school at that age.

Now that I'm a big boy and taking (and paying for) college classes, I'm studying my Spanish quite a bit. I plan to study in Costa Rica this summer, and next academic year, I'd like to start with the Russian language, and then study in Russia during the following summer.

Anders, at what age did you begin your language study? I might guess you were quite young.. maybe even an infant, given the foresightedness of most of the world's countries to teach a foreign language (English) to elementary kids.

Jamie

I would think a color display could help quite a bit if it's implemented correctly, and of course if it's viewable.

Hope some of the first ones to pick up one of these reports back to the rest. I'm curious to know how well you can see the display in bright sunlight, which is a problem on many color displays on other devices.

Jeff

quote:
No, you could not use a firmware patch to add color to a gray scale screen.

-----------------

Thanks for explaining and straightening us out. We really did NOT think we could change the grayscale of our Meridian to color but misunderstood something we had read. (Darn!!!) icon_frown.gif

bvgps