Beginner, need advice

Guest White Rabbit

Guest White Rabbit

Alright, I just heard about this Geocaching this morning and I would really like to try it. I need to know if the "Magellan GPS 315" is a good Handheld GPS for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

Guest navdog

I have a 315 myself and think it works great!

...seems to have the most nav screens than a lot of other units

...works well under cover

...shows your distance to a cache in feet when you get within .10 mi.

...the northfinder feature shows the position of the sun and gives you a crude compass funtion

I was thinking of getting a second GPS but I'm just too happy with the 315 to bother.

Guest TNRonin

waterproof enough. Like anything if you abuse it you will see failure. I use mine all the time and have had no problems. Go for it.

P.S. If you are waiting for the Perfect GPS there will always be something better to come along, so don't worry about it.

Hawkeye

Guest Jebediah

You don't need to abuse it to see water entry, that's my personal experience. There will always be something better to come along, and IMHO that something will be a waterproof Magellan.

Guest AZMark

Wrap a GPS in a lot of plastic and rubber to make it nice and watertight and what do you get?

That's right a less sensitive GPS. Go for the Garmin if you want less sensitive and watertight, go for the Magellen if you can hold on to your GPS when fording creeks and want the better sensitivity.

Guest felix

I just got a Garmin Etrex and it rocks! Was cheap too. I think around $120 after tax in Memphis TN. It does not have a ton of features but if your just looking for a cache or trying to find something its great

Guest Jebediah

Actually it's the Magellan that will have to be wrapped up tight in a waterproof bag or case, not only when fording creeks but in a simple good rain or a wet pouch (ingress thru keypad).

None of this affects reception of course, that's a matter of local cover and antenna design. The small eTrex was designed with a patch antenna to keep it small.

Lowrance, Garmin and Brunton all make water immersion rated receivers of some sort, and the latter two include modern watertight keypad/pressure membrane technology to prevent case overpressure and humidity change issues. Since it's been proven that makers can produce such designs, it's reasonable to demand this level of performance as standard equipment. If all we ever demand is more complexity regardless of outdoors requirements, then that's exactly what we'll get.