My first GPS and my wife

MojoCacher

Well if the title does not tell you something then here goes.

Amount available to spend $250-$350

Maping is a must

Wife wants color and says the extra cash is worth saving for

I have read as many posts as I can stand to read about Garmin vs Magenllan and no one mentions any other brands, so what is the deal with the other brands, like Lowrance? Why is the Quad helix antenna better?

I would like recomemdations form users, functions they like/dislike and why. Please Identify the Model, Firmware edition and main use.

Thank you for your help icon_cool.gif

Well, for $250 to $300 you won't find anything with color, though mapping is pretty much a given. For that price range, you will have everything from the Etrex Legend, to the Rino 120, the Meridian Gold, or the SportTrak Map. All have mapping, none have color. For a little more ($50 to $100 more) you can get barometric altimiters, electronic compasses, more memory, etc. Auto-routing in unit is available in the GPS V, which goes for about $450 to $500.

In order to get color, you need to go with the Street Pilot III (discontinued, but can still behad a few places for $650 or so), or the SP III Deluxe for $750 to $900 (same as the SP III, but with unlock codes for a whole continent rather than just one region).

The SP III is also a little large to use for hiking/geocaching.

Another way to get color is to use one of the PDA based GPSR solutions. You can get a Handspring Prism with the Magellan Companion or a Compaq iPaq with a CF slot GPS, and both will have color screens, but they're not really rugged enough for hiking/geocaching, and will still set you back $500 or so.

Personally, I'd go with a simple mapping GPSR like the MeriGold or the Legend. Color is nice, but not really necessary, and certainly not worth the price.

-- Pneumatic

You can get a Garmin GPS V for 60.00 bucks more than you are willing to spend. You can get it brand new off eBay for 409.99 dollars and its got a warranty and everything. Its got autorouting and lots of memory and comes with the City Select map CD of the entire USA, car mount, data cable, 12v cable for cig plug in car and wrist strap and ofcourse all the manuals. I have this GPS and love it. I use to have a Garmin GPS III and returned it cause it had only 1.5 megs of mem and no autorouting. If you go with a color GPS you are going to pay WAY more than 350.00 dollars. The cheapest Garmin color GPS is almost 900.00 dollars. (the extra cost is NOT worth saving for IMO).

I got my GPS from here http://www.tvnav.com/ When it first came out for 425.00 dollars. Email them and they will give you the current price for the Garmin GPS V which I bet is under 399.00 from them.

About antennas. My GPS V has a external/removable antenna. My friend has a Garmin Etrex Vista with the built in antenna. When we stand near each other and compare sat connection readings they are about the same, but when we do this in a heavily wooded area I always seem to have better signal. Just a little FYI.

If you want autorouting - it makes a GPS start to get costly. There arent to many GPS's that have autorouting and most of them are out of your price range. If you decide to get a Non autorouting GPS within your price range I would suggest one of these 3:

eTrex Summit, eTrex Legend, eTrex Vista

Mainly the Vista (very nice unit I have used one a lot before) for the sole purpose that Garmin has a 50.00 dollar rebate on each of those units. I bet that TVNAV place has the vista for under 300 dollars (ebay has it "buy it now" for 287.00 dollars) and then top that off with another 50 bucks back with the rebate.

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/

Anyway, I hope any info I gave can help ya decide. I personally would NOT pay the extra money for a color screen, but I certainly would pay the xtra cash for autorouting.

[This message was edited by lackdog on December 23, 2002 at 12:09 AM.]

Well, save a few more bucks and get the V. You can read my Vacation Report on it here.

Color is a gimic. Better to go with higer res greyscale (which the V has). I can not give you a comparison to other units, as the V is all I ever have had. Though I have to say it has never failed to get me to a cache yet, under many different types of cover. And once you have used Autorouting, youll wonder how you ever did without it.

Happy Holidaze!

66427_2800.gif

Thanks for the help.

What features besides auto routing do ya'll think are good/bad.

If anyone has used a color GPS I would like to know what you think.

The money is not an issue as it will take little time to safe the extra $100 dollars or soand I am willing to wait so I have a happy wife.

Mojocacher icon_smile.gif

quote:
The money is not an issue as it will take little time to safe the extra $100 dollars or soand I am willing to wait so I have a happy wife.

your going to have to save more than 100 dollars over your budget to get a color one. More like save 400+ dollars. Also don't forget with a color one you are going to eat batteries like a mad man. The Garmin GPS V has a 25 hour battery life on 4 AA batteries. (depending on how often the backlight is used). Then for a garmin color GPS you have 2 to choose from. The StreetPilot GPS ColorMap(890.00 dollars MSRP) and the StreetPilot III GPS (1272.00 dollars MSRP).

The StreetPilot GPS ColorMap(890.00 dollars MSRP) only has a 2.5 hour battery life. Yes I said only 2.5! StreetPilot III GPS (1272.00 dollars MSRP) has a slightly better life from 2-20 hours, but its also 1200.00 dollars. Also, take into consideration that the GPS V, for example, is only 9 ounces where the other 2 color models by garmin each weigh 1.3 lbs.

Just a little more info for ya. icon_biggrin.gif

You should check out this thread

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5740990093&m=1190935145

You might be able to get the new Magellan Meridian Color unit, although it seems like it will actually become available in January. It seems to be that it will run in the $400-$500 range. It looks like it is basically the same as the Meridian Gold, but with a color screen. It looks NICE!!!

Sorry that I can't comment on Lowrance or other brands. But I think it's good that you are exploring all options.

BTW, I am new to the forum, so hello to everyone!

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!

It helps to determine what features you will value most if you think carefully about what you're going to ask of the unit.

If you're going to be using it for a lot of vehicle navigation, the auto-routing features of the V are really cool, but the V is limited to 19MB of memory (no expandibility) and a serial interface (slow map uploads). That means that you'll only have enough memory for detailed maps covering one major metropolitan area like the SF Bay Area. (or several smaller areas, but they don't have to be contiguous). Uploading a full 19MB of maps will take more than 1/2 hour, and can't easily be done on the fly. Detailed maps for North America are included, but require a PC running Windows to use (or Virtual PC on a Mac).

The eTrex Legend has only 8MB of memory, but since these maps have no routing information, you can still fit the R&R maps for on major metropolitan area into memory. The legend is also lightweight (7oz w/o batts) and has a small form factor (about the same as the Nokia 5100 line of cell phones), and reasonably good battery life. I get 10-12 hours of batt. life from 2 1850mAh NiMH rechargeables. On the downside, the patch antenna in the etrex line has more problems in moderate to heavy tree cover, and that can be a source of real frustration while deep in the forest. It can be had for $190 (-$50 rebate), but no maps are included in this price. Figure $250 by the time you get the map software and a few accessories.

The eTrex Vista has the same form factor as the legend, but 24MB of map memory, plus an electronic compass so you don't have to be moving to see your heading, and also a barometric altimeter. However, leaving these extra gizmos turned on can eat batteries.

The Meridian Gold has a pretty good basemap of the american continent, and also has an SD card slot to allow you to upload a LOT of maps to a 128MB card, and you can upload them using a USB car programmer for much faster uploads. You can also have multiple cards with different mapsets. However, the meridian line is considerably larger than the etrex line, and the screen is not nearly as nice (IMNSHO). The resolution is much corser, and the grayscale much less smooth.

The SportTrak Map is like a Meridian Gold without the SD slot, and it much smaller form factor. Both the SportTrak and the Meridian line seem to have better WAAS performance, which might make a different if you want accuracy under 10m.

The new Meridian Color (I didn't know this was coming out until I read it here), will be like either a Meridian Gold or Meridian Platinum, but with a color screen. I don't know if the color screen will really be worth it for the $150 extra it seems to cost. Also, most daylight readable color screens I am aware of (like those on PDAs), require significant backlighting, which could eat into the battery life, but Magellan is claiming 14 hours using alkalaines, so figure between 8 and 10 using NiMH). Some color screens on PDAs can look like crap, so I'd want to see it in action before I bought one, and I'd still be tempted to get the V for the same price. (Again, the V comes with maps, whereas you'd be stuck for $80 more for maps for almost any other unit).

If somebody dropped $450 in my lap and told me to buy the "best" GPS, I'd probably go with the V.

-- Pneumatic

My suggestion would be to actually get a lower-end GPS unit like an Etrex or basic Meridian (MeriGreen) and learn about GPS and what it does and doesn't do, and what features you wind up using and what ones you don't...then a year from now you can always upgrade based on personal experience and preference.

MojoCacher,

I haven't seen anybody make these suggestions. Since I work in the GPS surveying business I have a little experience here.

Anyway, you could go with a PocketPC(WindowsCE) device like the Compaq iPaq and add either an NAVMAN(www.navman.com) GPS iPaq sleeve or just use a separate GPS like the cheap Garmin eTrex to connect to it.

For the software I would suggest either Maptech(www.maptech.com) Pocket Navigator or the version made by the developer, Memory-Map(www.memory-map.com) Pocket Navigator. We own the Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro topo software and it's great. We've been contemplating going with Maptech's or Memory-Map's Pocket Navigator software for our iPaq and our Tripod Data System(www.tdsway.com) Ranger 200T data collector.

I've tested the Memory-Map Pocket Navigator demo on our Ranger, and it was pretty cool even with the monochrome display. Memory-Map and Maptech's software are almost identical. I like Memory-Map better since it still works with the Maptech topo maps, but also will work with other GeoTiff or georeferenced maps. Another good reason is that Memory-Map says it works with Handheld PC 2000 devices like our Ranger, not just PocketPCs that is advertised on Maptech's.

What about other software and/or Palm? My options were limited since I was looking for packages that worked with my Maptech topos. However, I do know of one other package that will work with the NAVMAN sleeve. It's called Fugawi and it's available on PocketPC and Palm. Maptech has updated their site to show a preview of Outdoor Navigator for Palm that's coming out later in 2003.

Where to buy? You can purchase software and NAVMAN sleeve kits from each of Maptech's and Memory-Map sites. You should be able to look at other online sites for iPaq/NAVMAN packages. As for Fugawi, they are offering Garmin's small, no input, no display model 35. They even give instructions on connecting it up to a laptop for placement in 3 different places in your car! With the Fujitsu Pencentra TabletPC shown on Fugawi's web site, the Garmin model 35 shown on Fugawi's web site and either Fugawi or Pocket Navigator software, this would be the ultimate car system! icon_smile.gif

Tommy McClain

The battery drain to keep a color unit operational is significant, especially when compared to the B&W units. I do not have specific scientific data, but I'd say you are looking at roughly 1/3rd operational time for color on the very same batteries used for B&W. I see that you have already dropped color from your "options" list, but wanted to add this other little ditty that should confirm your decision.

Regards

RB

I use the SporTrak Pro. It is the same as the SporTrak Map except it has 23 meg of free ram instead of 5. This allows much larger maps. I geocache with Renegade Knight who uses a GPS V. When geocaching we are very close as far as accuracy is concerned. If I had the additional money I would seriously look at the GPS V for its autorouting (it really saves time getting to your jump off point), and its higher resolution. It is easier to read then my SporTrak. On the other hand the SporTrak is easier to carry in the field. There is always going to be some kind of tradeoff.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!

I also use the Pro and right now if you go quickly you can get one at Costco for $289 with the unit, map software, case, dc power cable and a car mount. They also have a $100 rebate on it so it really is a great deal. I was able to load all of Michigan into the unit with 8megs to spare. I can vouch that it holds a trak well uder tree cover. However if I was looking for a car navigator I would probably get the Garmin V it is more expensive but I have used the older III+ and it was impresive. Just my two cents.

Pneumatic,

I am considering the 76S and the GPS-V. I would like to use the unit for boating as well as hiking and auto navigation. I am leaning toward the 76S because of the larger memory and some of the functions geared toward boating. However, the autorouting feature of the GPS-V appeals to me also.

Is it possible to upload the Bluechart navaids to the GPS-V?

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

It helps to determine what features you will value most if you think carefully about what you're going to ask of the unit.

If you're going to be using it for a lot of vehicle navigation, the auto-routing features of the V are really cool, but the V is limited to 19MB of memory (no expandibility) and a serial interface (slow map uploads). That means that you'll only have enough memory for detailed maps covering one major metropolitan area like the SF Bay Area. (or several smaller areas, but they don't have to be contiguous). Uploading a full 19MB of maps will take more than 1/2 hour, and can't easily be done on the fly. Detailed maps for North America are included, but require a PC running Windows to use (or Virtual PC on a Mac).

The eTrex Legend has only 8MB of memory, but since these maps have no routing information, you can still fit the R&R maps for on major metropolitan area into memory. The legend is also lightweight (7oz w/o batts) and has a small form factor (about the same as the Nokia 5100 line of cell phones), and reasonably good battery life. I get 10-12 hours of batt. life from 2 1850mAh NiMH rechargeables. On the downside, the patch antenna in the etrex line has more problems in moderate to heavy tree cover, and that can be a source of real frustration while deep in the forest. It can be had for $190 (-$50 rebate), but no maps are included in this price. Figure $250 by the time you get the map software and a few accessories.

The eTrex Vista has the same form factor as the legend, but 24MB of map memory, plus an electronic compass so you don't have to be moving to see your heading, and also a barometric altimeter. However, leaving these extra gizmos turned on can eat batteries.

The Meridian Gold has a pretty good basemap of the american continent, and also has an SD card slot to allow you to upload a LOT of maps to a 128MB card, and you can upload them using a USB car programmer for much faster uploads. You can also have multiple cards with different mapsets. However, the meridian line is considerably larger than the etrex line, and the screen is not nearly as nice (IMNSHO). The resolution is much corser, and the grayscale much less smooth.

The SportTrak Map is like a Meridian Gold without the SD slot, and it much smaller form factor. Both the SportTrak and the Meridian line seem to have better WAAS performance, which might make a different if you want accuracy under 10m.

The new Meridian Color (I didn't know this was coming out until I read it here), will be like either a Meridian Gold or Meridian Platinum, but with a color screen. I don't know if the color screen will really be worth it for the $150 extra it seems to cost. Also, most daylight readable color screens I am aware of (like those on PDAs), require significant backlighting, which could eat into the battery life, but Magellan is claiming 14 hours using alkalaines, so figure between 8 and 10 using NiMH). Some color screens on PDAs can look like crap, so I'd want to see it in action before I bought one, and I'd still be tempted to get the V for the same price. (Again, the V comes with maps, whereas you'd be stuck for $80 more for maps for almost any other unit).

If somebody dropped $450 in my lap and told me to buy the "best" GPS, I'd probably go with the V.

-- Pneumatic

quote:
Originally posted by Where's Waldo:

I am considering the 76S and the GPS-V. I would like to use the unit for boating as well as hiking and auto navigation.

Is it possible to upload the Bluechart navaids to the GPS-V?

I think the V can take Bluecharts, but I don't know for sure. Garmin's site should have a definite answer.

I don't own either, but I've played with both. The 76s is a nice unit, and the screen provides a lot of real estate to display information, and the extra sensors make is easy to use, if a little bit of a battery hog. One of the fundamental contradictions of the unit is that the antenna works best if the unit is vertical (though it gets acceptable performance when lying flat in most circumstances), but the compass works best only if the unit is horizontal. Most people choose to use the unit at a 45 degree inclination as a compromise, but that can lead to a heading error due to a phenomenon known as magnetic dip (the field lines aren't parallel to the ground in most areas, and compasses need to take that into account). It only uses the heading information from compass if you're stopped or going slow though (<5mph I think).

-- Mitch