Please log all Garmin complaints here

awskoa

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:

I have never has a problem with my unit yet, (knock on wood) I am worried about the clickstick though as many people have had problems it...

however, the recent forum(s) regarding the H2O worthyness of Garmin units is something to worry about (i guess)...

I do not care about the specifications, to whatever standard, yada yada yada,

if they say the thing is water proof to 1 meter for 30 minutes or whatever, it should mean the whole unit,

not everything except for the battery compartment (sometimes, depending on what angle the unit is being held under water, or what hemisphere you are on)

at the very least if they say the unit floats, it should float, not depending on what type of water fresh or salt, or whatever....

GARMIN make it happen, put foam in the unit to make it float, i dunno,,, do whatever it takes...

or perhaps just say it won'f float, customers will appreciate the honesty...

or how about this one.....

make the unit really waterproof like you say it is, then make it so,,,

dont make it waterproof and say the battery compartment may get wet and require drying...

if a $2.99 watch with the purchase of any sandwich you get at McDonalds or BurgerKing can be waterproof then a x-hundred dollar gps unit can also be waterproof....

what a joke,,,

take some of the profits from your 'reasonably' priced software and buy a few o-rings and screws or whatever closure mechanism/system you wish to employ (as long as it seals tight) and make sure your units are really waterproof...

by the way, I have never deep-sixed my legend, never intend to, and hope it never makes it way into the drink regardless...

that is it for now....

lates...

QUOTE]

I guess I am all alone on this one, (with this BEEF, that is)...

perhaps?

oh well...

lates...

I have owned Gramins since 1995 and never had one problem. I currently have 3 of them, a 45XL, GPSIII and Etrex Vista.

My 45 got submerged in water for many days and would the display would not work. It was long off of warranty so for $49 (?) they fixed it and installed the latest firmware version. We purchased a lot of Etrex Vista at work and no one complained of any problems.

[This message was edited by elcamino on July 13, 2003 at 08:10 AM.]

Our Garmin Legend rocks! It fell out of my pocket during a rough hike and I didn't realize it until almost the end of the trip, over an hour later. We went back and found it submerged in a puddle. I thought it was toast. Imagine our amazement when we picked it up and it still worked! We have 3 Garmin GPSrs, they all rock, and my only complaint is that I don't own more!

Keep up the great work, Garmin!

Never had a problem with Garmin as far as customer service. They've been great anytime I've contacted them. The rubber cap on my GPSV ripped off last summer and I contacted them about buying a replacment. They sent me a dozen or so NO CHARGE.

I thought that was very cool.

As far as complaints about their product I've owned three garmin units (the Etrax, Vista and now the GPSV). No complaints at all.

Of course I WOULD like expandable memory, a color screen and unit which scratches my back and apply ointment when I get mosquito bit but maybe in a future upgrade they'll offer those features. ;D

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by KYtrex:

is that they should improve the battery compartment somehow. My Garmin V shuts off on my motorcycle unless I put a thin piece of cardstock between the batteries. I have also read several complaints on these forums of similiar problems on different Garmin units.

Other than that, I am a happy camper icon_smile.gif

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left

In case you didn't know Garmin sells a special spacer for the battery compartment specifically for handlebar mounted GPSV's.

It comes with their handle bar bracket/mount. Not sure if you can purchase it sepearately.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

My one complaint? I have an eTrex Legend, and it seems that in certain instances (might be if it's left out in the sun too long), the unit flashes "External power source failed" or something along that lines, and you have to press a button to get it to run on battery power. And yes, this has happened with old AND with a fresh set of batteries. But other than that, no complaints, it's a great unit and I'm really glad I bought it icon_smile.gif

I've purchased 7 Garmin units, 5 handhelds and 2 fixed mounts. I also have several permium Mapsource products.

I love Garmin products and customer service has been O.K.

I do have a complaint - My second fixed mount unit a GPSmap 162, broke after only an hour of use. I sent it back and had to pay $8.00 shipping and missed a weekend of fishing to have a defective unit fixed. In my opinion, Garmin should have paid for shipping or supplied something of value in return. They could have even provided something that did not cost them anything like a new unlock code of Bluecharts or FHS, etc.

I guess to me it is service after the sale that counts. My E-Trex Vista, two years old did have some problems with the battery compartment, I fixed that by pulling on the springs a bit. About 1-1/2 years old it started to have lines in the display at times not all the times. At two years I dropped the thing and the screen now is only half there.

This is where Garmin made me a lifer. I called them and told them that I had dropped it but also the screen did have lines in it for about six months. The normal fee for repairing a Vista was $125.00. Six I had some trouble with the lines in the screen they told me they would only charge me $50.00. To me that was pretty good service. I was told mine would totally be re-conditioned. I think they took pretty good care of me.

murph

I've been very happy with Garmin. One tip I'll pass along is that they seem to be VERY slow responding to email inquiries.

That said, almost every call I've made to them was resolved quickly and professionally. Even when my Rino was "recalled" - they made it as easy as possible to get the issue corrected.

This is my first GPS (so I don't have a valid comparison), but I'm very happy with Garmin.

Sorry.....

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

where is the ability to switch off POIs & input more map data??? My 3+ held more map data than my V because the 3+ didn't have all the POI crap!

Also, battery problem seems to be endemic to the line. Mine keeps cutting out.

Wherever you go, there you are!

I think the design of the handlebar mount for the GPS-12 series is poor. I've broken 3 while mountain biking (at the clamp hinge).

Unbelievably, the handlebar mount for eTrex series is even worse. The whole weight of the unit is placed on a little pin attached to the battery cover. Many riders have reported that the battery cover came loose over time, possibly due to the pins gouging out the body from the vibration.

Apart from that, I've been happy with my Garmin, though I wish they'd build a non-mapping, 2AA battery unit that takes an external antenna and has a 10,000 tracklog capacity.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

In case you didn't know Garmin sells a special spacer for the battery compartment specifically for handlebar mounted GPSV's.

It comes with their handle bar bracket/mount. Not sure if you can purchase it sepearately.

If you contact tech support and tell them your unit has been powering down every time you hit a bump, they will send you the little battery spacer, FREE.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

If you contact tech support and tell them your unit has been powering down every time you hit a bump, they will send you the little battery spacer, FREE.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

I bought the Handle Bar Mount and I didn't get a spacer??? But I guess I haven't had trouble either. Maybe I should check into it before I do have trouble.

murph

i am pretty happy with my Venture....but. I will on some days get parts of the screen disappering, kinda looks like a barcode on end. It is still readable but very annoying and when I contacted Garmin they said to sent to Quebec and I will get a refurb unit back, this sucks as mine is only a year old. If it is past the warranty you send your unit with $135cdn and they send you a reburb, this still kinda sucks.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

I have 3 Garmins: 12XL, III+, and the V. I have no complaints about the III+. The V often loses all satellite signals, even if I'm in an open field with no tree cover and clear skies. It does it often enough that it doesn't surprise me any more, although it almost always happens when I'm within 100' of the cache! I have the same battery trouble. It's my understanding that rechargeable batteries are slightly smaller than regular alkalines and don't fit exactly right. I will be ordering my battery spacer tomorrow. Also, the auto-routing isn't very useful if you're not on a major highway or numbered road. And it doesn't have the capability of storing an off-route track for future reference. The latest CD doesn't show the new toll road around Orlando and it blows a gasket every time I drive on it.

I have never liked the 12XL for geocaching, although it's very good for my job (biologist). The proximity indicator limits out at 0.1 mile and isn't stable enough to get me very close. I do a lot of brush-busting when I geocache with this one.

One the positive side, Garmin has given me great latitude on warranty service (which I have needed quite often).

I have two Rino 120's. My complaints? The Mapsource should enable you to load only the points of interest that you want. So if you don't want any, you could load more map. The Map grids could be smaller like the Mapsource Roads and Recreation so I could more define my area without a huge space out of area, wasting memory. The later versions of Mapsource strip out many creeks that are important when referencing them for landmarks and just knowing they are there before driving down the trail and discover something deeper than you can ford. The memory of the unit needs to be larger. 8 megs is not enough for a trip from Arkansas to Florida, easily a single days driving distance. The data/power plug give me fits sometimes when plugged into power. Haven't heard of anyone else having problem with the power cord being somewhat positonal. The alarm sounds are too soft and I don't think there is a way to change them or increase their volume. Missed several critical points because I drove by where I needed to turn. Garmin needs to pressure the FCC, possibly getting our support to help them, to change the polling back to 10 secs. Freeway speeds can mean you pass your friend on the exit and get out of range before the 30 secs are up. A color screen would be very helpful in distinguishing water from a road.

But I do like my Rino's, the above aren't really complaints, more like a wish list. I know a lot of search and rescue organizations would really love a radio/gps like the Rinos.

Able2ru?

I only own two GPS's and they're both Rinos. Purchased this spring and they were in the "recall" range so I had to send them in a week after purchasing. While that might sound like a complaint (and some would say they should have done better QC), I actually appreciate that they recognized a problem and provided a solution. Who knows, maybe it was a change that happened due to production and not in the original engineering. My whole experience was handled very professionally, quickly, and to my satisfaction without any prodding. When on the phone with them the CS rep explained what I needed to do and asked what he could do for me to "make me happy" due to the problem. A free data/power cable was my response and he cheerfully added it to the ticket. As to the units themselves, I am 100% happy with them. Accuracy is very good (even under trees), the radios work fine for the range I use them in, and position reporting is really neat since my son is a Cub Scout (makes it easy to keep an eye on him when in the woods). As to the waterproof part, I just spent the day at Cub Scout camp in a daylong downpour without any hiccups. The only issue was having to wipe the water/mud off the screen to see it. Yea, that's it, my complaint! Garmin should put a little windshield wiper on the units so I wouldn't have to wipe. And another shameless plug for another vendor, my Strong Engineering display shields worked great as well. Sorry, no Garmin complaints here, just compliments all the way around.

Overall I have been pleased with my GPS 76. It maintains position lock even in heavy cover, and the big high-res screen is easy to read. One problem ... I was drying it off with a towel a few months ago and the nav button pulled off. icon_eek.gif So be very careful drying it with a cloth or towel, the buttons are held on by a thin membrane and will come right off. They wanted $80 to fix it, so I just glued the button back on with silicone glue to re-seal the unit. Luckily, I never use the nav button.

FWIW,

CharlieP

I'd like to see a better PC cable format than serial for the eTrex series. A USB or firewire or even a IR would help for those of us who don't have serial ports on our laptops. I've emailed them, and I got the feeling that a mass request would prompt better development or interfaces.

The Price of Freedom is Vigilance

Garmin will not repair my Rino 530. The unit is three years old and already discontinued. Customer service said they no longer have parts even though it is the same unit as the 530 hcx which is not discontinued. For crying out loud. You can still get parts for a 1955 Chevy but not a three year old GPS? No offer of a discount on an upgrade or new unit or anything. Too bad so sad was their answer. Planned obsolescence is their game. The only recourse is to buy a new unit but it will never ever be a Garmin. I will tell everyone I can about their poor customer service and boycott all Garmin products.

It's nice that so many posters have not had a single problem with their garmin units but they are nowhere as foolproof as some would have you think. My first 3, a rino, a legend, and a venture (all older models) were all sent back. One of the channels didn't work on the rino. The venture would sponatiously shut off. IT was a commone defect in the battery compartment.

I was about to give up on them but there was a sale on a HS model and I got it. If you use it with gps off, like if you are indoors and just loading waypoints, then you decide to go out and turn it on and use it - it locks up. You have to remove the battery to get it to work.

My vista backlight would not go above 50%. My oregon would clear your tracks preferance everytime you turned it off. Finally a software update fixed it. Ironically it was after a software update that it started. I am mapping a hunt club and have over 20 tracks that need to be shown on map at all times. It's tedious having to recheck them each time. I almost got rid of it because when I called garmin they told me it was designed that way. It wasn't.

My astro compass jumps quite a bit. I had numerous problems when I first got it. I had to call customer service a few times. Luckily I got somebody very familier with the unit to help, they told me how to master reset it which helped some issues but not all. I think I just got used to the shortcomings and have learned to compensate. I use it to track my doggies and would like to have more confidence in it.

Don't even get me started on the communicator plug in or basecamp.

I like garmin stuff as much as the next person but it seems like they beta test their stuff on customers.

Garmin will not repair my Rino 530. The unit is three years old and already discontinued. Customer service said they no longer have parts even though it is the same unit as the 530 hcx which is not discontinued. For crying out loud. You can still get parts for a 1955 Chevy but not a three year old GPS? No offer of a discount on an upgrade or new unit or anything. Too bad so sad was their answer. Planned obsolescence is their game. The only recourse is to buy a new unit but it will never ever be a Garmin. I will tell everyone I can about their poor customer service and boycott all Garmin products.

What's the warranty on a three year old Rino? or a 1955 Chevy for that matter.

The complaints are what I am looking for really but I like the fact there is good too cause with every bad there should be good dont get me wrong I think some Of Garmin products are great but there are a lot of problems with alot of units and yes I know sum could be human error cause were not perfect . But false advertising ,poor craftman ship or bad service are just a few things that I have experianced as a lot of others that I have found by reading all the back formums. Tell me when you pay 500.00 for a unit

that you have to put card board strips in you are happy or it says water proof and its really only water or weather resistant! me personally PISSED

besides yes they will exchange the product for you but there is time waiting and not being able to cache hunt or what ever you do with your unit .

My time is worth something to me and after sending something back a dozen times is it worth it no

All I am really triing to do is let the company now by us the consumer where there product need inprovements so we the consumer get an even better product and they get more word of mouth which inturns they get more consumers :rolleyes:) sorry I will shut up now

Complaints carry a bit more weight if they are written in a somewhat coherent fashion <_<

Three Nuvi's, Two 60csx, they all work great.

Complaint--Recently one of the little battery spring clip contacts broke off a 60csx. Called Garmin and was told "We dont fix them but will send you a refurb for $110"

OK you got me $110 for a 50 cent part. Now what are you gonna do with my old unit? Throw it away or fix it and get $110 for that one, hmmmm...

I am currently in dipute with them and plan on showing them its not just me with all the complaints this might help them fix the problem units and better customer service they provide

these complaints will be sent to GARMIN

Thanks to all

1. A year later and they still wont acknowledge the Auto speaker cradle and Montana 600 power off issue. 2. Also once you own mapping software should be able to use it on any unit provided that unit is registered to you. 3. Theirs birdseye feature was a pointless waist of money and very limited usability. 4. A year later and still NO accessories for the Montana!!!

My complaints:

1. If I buy the maps downloadable, then why do I have a max on the megs of what I can download? I want to be able to download a whole state at high res for my maps, not a stupid box that doesn't even cover my whole city.

2. The software stinks. Megallan is a little better, but lack of good software for all GPS companies is horrible. This is 2012, not 1980, hire some programers, and ask your clientel what they really want.

3. what a brand new etrex 20 does not come with both battery compartment and built in rechargebles is beyond me.

...A year later and they still wont acknowledge the Auto speaker cradle and Montana 600 power off issue. ... A year later and still NO accessories for the Montana!!!

How's that again? The Garmin Montana was announced on May 18, 2011 in a press release by Garmin and the first ones didn't land in customers' hands until late in June'11.

There are quite a few items listed under the accessories tab on Garmin's page for the Montana, https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75228

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I've generally loved all of my Garmins, and am a repeat customer. The units have been pretty user friendly and have been reliable in the field.

That said, my big complaint is the sometimes glitchy, and just dopey newer unit software designs. As examples of what I mean:

1) You cannot reset the Odometer data field on the Oregons and Montanas. We used to be able to on older units.

2) The accumulated elevation on the Montana was thousands of feet off until the 3.70 software update. Why did it take 6 months to repair such a standard feature?

3) The Montana will not log tracks and mileages correctly from power off to next power on. It creates excess mileage and track points.

4) The nuvi 1490 would not display waypoints, which they acknowledged to me in a reply, but it took a year to fix. The maps finally look decent after all this time. Why?

5) The nuvi 770 powered off frequently for no reason, and was a common issue from what I remember.

6) Sometimes they respond to my inquiries, sometimes they don't.

7) Missing features, like Wherigo on the montana.

8) Other issues that don't necessarily affect me, but that others have pointed out and I"m sure are annoying.

I could go on........point being it seems they just don't really test out all of the features, nor is there any urgency on their part to fix. Not saying other manufacturers are any better, as I have no experience and am pretty brand loyal. Point is they are good units, easy to use, but I am becoming concerned about the software on the newest units.

Ooh, I've got one!

Y'know that clown at carnival sideshows who offers to write your name on a grain of rice or a pinhead-sized bead? I think Garmin hired him to inscribe serial numbers on devices. I think they should fire him. Or at least let him write a little bigger.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Ooh, I've got one!

Y'know that clown at carnival sideshows who offers to write your name on a grain of rice or a pinhead-sized bead? I think Garmin hired him to inscribe serial numbers on devices. I think they should fire him. Or at least let him write a little bigger.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

1)Still having crash issues wioth the Montana 650t Soft version 3.80 in the automotive cradle. Power off, won't power back on. You have to hold on button down till you are past the white screen and then put it back on the cradle and it will come up. 2) "share Wireless" to my other unit, it will come up with geocaches that are far from where I am at instead of the closest and assign them distance of 7691 miles away ( they are not that far) it will take maybe 4 or 5 re-tries before I can tranfer the closest geocache.

I hope the OP is still making that list -- almost nine years later, as yours may (or may not) qualify..................

I hope the OP is still making that list -- almost nine years later, as yours may (or may not) qualify..................

You and I have the exact same problem. I called them about 2 weeks ago about my broken Rino 530 and they gave me the same response. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. But feature-wise, what's the alternative?

What's the warranty on a three year old Rino? or a 1955 Chevy for that matter.

You can still get parts for a 1955 Chevy
Not from General Motors, you can't.

but not a three year old GPS? No offer of a discount on an upgrade or new unit or anything. Too bad so sad was their answer. Planned obsolescence is their game. The only recourse is to buy a new unit but it will never ever be a Garmin.
3 years considered a "reasonable" lifespan for most consumer electronics these days. It's all considered disposable now. People wanted cheaper, this is what they got.

I have a rino 110 that was turning off every one is saying that it was the batter compartment but i tried every thing Garmin would do s*** about it. So I took it apart and found a faulty connection from the battery to the main board... fired up the soldering iron put some heat to the connection to re-flow it, gave a little tug to make sure it was fixed and put it back together, powered it up and proceeded to beat the crap out of it and to my suprize it never turn off!!!

I have a forerunner and 76CSX love them both - my 76csx has rubber cover for the usb port and it keeps falling off and I have to replace it.

If I had to complain the area would be on the maps - terrible - need better and cheaper maps so we can see good terrain, good roads and trails. Show me where I am. I like Delorme - it ain't perfect either - but great features.

I would like to organizise the data better inside the GPS. To see only what I want to see in Waypoint tracks and routes.

If I had to complain the area would be on the maps - terrible - need better and cheaper maps so we can see good terrain, good roads and trails. Show me where I am.

Lots of free Garmin maps available. USA>GPSfiledepot, UK>Talkytoaster, EU>openfietsmap and opencyclemap. garmin.openstreetmap.nl has free routable maps of the whole world.

my 76csx has rubber cover for the usb port and it keeps falling off and I have to replace it.

Here's how I fixed it for my 60CSx. I snipped off the pointy part of a metal thumbtack, leaving just a small metal disk. Pressed that inside the rubber cover for the USB port, and bingo. The metal disk stays inside the cover, and the cover stays on the unit like it's supposed to.

I bought a GPS12 in 1998. It worked fine for two years, when the screen went bad. Garmin sent me a refurbished unit for $60, which I used till 2008, when I bought a 60csx. I put the GPS12 on a shelf and left it there, in case I ever needed a backup GPS.

The on/off button on the 60csx started to get squishy after about a year, then it failed completely. Really poor design. I used a little wooden dowel to turn the thing on and off till even that stopped working earlier this year.

Garmin wanted $110 for a replacement, which I agreed to, mostly because I had an investment in Garmin maps that would not transfer to anything but a replacement 60csx.

So I sent in the 60csx, and got the GPS12 out of storage. It didn't work. Something with the screen again.

The replacement 60csx arrived, and soon lost its firmware. Garmin webupdater fixed that, but it kept losing firmware. I sent it back under the 90 day warranty and received my current 60csx, which has been working OK.

So, I have owned 5 different Garmins over the years, and 4 of them have failed. The fifth one is currently working, but it's only been a month. Hopefully when it breaks it will be within the 90 day warranty period.

Not many complaints from me, except for one I had with my old eTrex Legend HCx. The rubber sleeve would get very loose in the heat of the summer, and make it hard to press the buttons. I fixed it myself with a precisely placed double sided tape, and it worked for awhile longer until I think some water got inside and made the unit loose signal very easily.