Etrex glue failure??

Idaho Ron

I have read for some time that the etrex line has problem with heat and glue. I have NEVER left mine in a car and it has NEVER been above body temperature EVER. Well my Camo unit is always in the basement in a cool area. I have a Legend that I use all the time, so the camo unit is only used in the fall.

Well the rubber gasket came off yesterday when I was loading waypoints.

The glue was not sticky, it was more greasy for a lack of a better word. Like the gluse had broke down in some way.

I cleaned it with mineral spirits, and used a high temp RVT silicone to glue it back on. Today I took off the tape keeping it in place. It appears to have worked well.

My question is to the people that have done this before. How long has it lasted, and how did you like the job you did, and what did you glue it with?

Ron

Well ... "this guy" icon_rolleyes.gif ... had one of the first units. It never was subjected to extremely high temperatures but I hauled it all over South America, Zimbabwe and parts of China with no failure of the rubber parts. While removing it ... it was securely attached. Re-attachment was done using the residual adhesive on the band. I have a rubber/plastic adhesive that I'm keeping to use if it starts to loosen up. The trick was the vinyl tape to seal it from water ... but still let the buttons function ... and keep the adhesive gunk out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

I've had my yeller etrex apart several times, and I use 3M double stick tape to stick it back on. Works great. You need to kake sure you cut small holes where the side buttons are when you use this method.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Well ... "this guy" icon_rolleyes.gif ... had one of the first units. It never was subjected to extremely high temperatures but I hauled it all over South America, Zimbabwe and parts of China with no failure of the rubber parts. While removing it ... it was securely attached. Re-attachment was done using the residual adhesive on the band. I have a rubber/plastic adhesive that I'm keeping to use if it starts to loosen up. The trick was the vinyl tape to seal it from water ... but still let the buttons function ... and keep the adhesive gunk out.

Co-founder of the _"NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"_

yeah sorry about that hawk-eye icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin V

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

yeah sorry about that hawk-eye icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

icon_confused.gif What for amigo ... I thought it was funny. I clicked on the link to see what "this guy" did. Looked strangely familiar!

Hawk-eye,

I've was just looking at your Vista LED repair document, and was wondering about one of the pictures. The picture with the label "This shows the unit laid open", I can understand how most of the parts fit together, but I am comfused on one point.

I see the wires going from the daughterboard up to the connector on the back of the unit, but I don't see any wires going to the battery connection posts between the two battery wells.

Are they there, and just not visible or do the posts make some sort of direct mechanical connection with one of the circut boards?

Thanks,

-- Pneumatic

Yeah, when I was opening it up .. it caught me off guard .. there is no wiring connecting the batteries to the circuit board ... actually a very smart assembly friendly solution. Look at this picture and in the red circles you can see the terminals from the battery compartment and the terminals on the circuit board.

Hope this helps ...

Battery%20terminals.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

.. there is no wiring connecting the batteries to the circuit board ...

This may be the reason for the battery contact problems some people had by using their eTrex on a vibrating motorbike. So, modifications of the battery compartment itself will not fix this problem, but stretching the springs or soldering wires from the circuit board contacts to the springs may help.