Etrex Legend Reception

Cybo

The eTrex GPS's do have relatively weak antennas. I owned a Venture and a Legend before my V and there is a monumental difference in not only reception, but sensitivity with the V (and in particular, the quad-helix).

The patch antennas found in the eTrex's should work fine for normal geocaching in areas without a lot of foliage, but are otherwise limited.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin V

Ok thanks for the speedy reply. The garmin V looks cool, but its a bit too pricy for me icon_smile.gif. That makes it between the SporTrak, Geko 201 and the SporTrak Map SE. The SporTrak is $199CDN, the Geko is $219CDN and the STMap SE is $269CDN. Do you think the map is worth it? I don't really travel alot.

Renegade: Yeah, I dont think ill look at the Etrex Legend then because of that issue...

I'd say mapping is almost essential in some cases.

1. You will most likely want to upgrade to a unit with a map in the future anyways. Why blow $200 on a unit without one now and then have to shell out another $200 or $300 later.

2. When out doing some serious geocaching or camping miles from civilization, the map will give you something to refer to when you get lost. Without it, you better hope you punched in the waypoints to places near you on the gps.

Not only that, the maps give you roads to go to, shows you shorelines, and any towns or cities. It can seriously save your arse when lost.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin V

If you think you will EVER want to use the GPS in a car and want turn by turn directions, go for teh V....

I tried a Sport Trac and then a Legend...neither "did it" for me...The Legend didnt hold enough Metroguide maps to get me from Pittsburgh to OBX, NC the way I wanted to....so I wanted a unit with more memory...I bought the V and am very pleased, aside from a battery issue I am having....The V's 19mb (though I would love more) is just enough to cover 98% of what I want for this trip, and holds everything I need for daytrips on my motorcycle.....

I find teh V easier to use.....that little stick on the Legend is cool, but you really ahve to watch the menus.....on the V, the buttons do a great deal and are easy to locate while driving etc....I havent tried my V in the woods yet though.,..been too busy to geocache (I am a newbie)...(plus, all the bugs that attacked me in the woods last time convinced me to wait til sept or so to try again! <grin&gticon_wink.gif

I used the Legend in teh woods a little and it worked ok but lost reception a few times....It also usedto loose reception while walking sometimes even in relatively clear/level surrounds, so holding it a certain way is critical...teh V seems to be more tollerant.

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Cybo:

Ok thanks for the speedy reply. The garmin V looks cool, but its a bit too pricy for me icon_smile.gif. That makes it between the SporTrak, Geko 201 and the SporTrak Map SE. The SporTrak is $199CDN, the Geko is $219CDN and the STMap SE is $269CDN. Do you think the map is worth it? I don't really travel alot.

Renegade: Yeah, I dont think ill look at the Etrex Legend then because of that issue...

Thanks for the reply DZ! The V is a bit too pricey for me, and I doubt id use it often. If I need turn-by-turn, i'd just hook up the gps to a laptop and run Delorme or MS Streets & Trips. Right now im looking at the SporTrak Map and the Meridian Gold...I think the ST Map would work fine, I dont need to store alot of maps in it, but apparently the ST's have a font issue that I will have to look at to see if it affects me. Thanks!

Does anyone know a place where I can find a signal reception comparison of the legend to the SporTrak Map?

Btw, the V looks like a cool gps, I'd go for it, but it's way over my budget right now. If I ever need turn by turn, ill just hook it up to a laptop and run MS S & T or Delorme StreetAtlas. icon_smile.gif.

[This message was edited by Cybo on August 31, 2003 at 07:51 PM.]

Thanks volks. Ill check that out.

The decision between the legend and the sportrak map is really killing me. People like to stand by either Garmin or Magellan (repectively), its like a big tug-of-war game. On one hand, the legend seems to be pretty accurate, on the other, it has bad reception under tree cover. The SporTrak does not, but it has a bad display and apparently suffers some lag. There may be even more problems im not sure of. Im just trying to get an opinion not based on the company but the units themselves. icon_frown.gif

Why don't you start a topic in the Canada section asking if anyone with a Legend or Sport Track would mind you taggin along on a cache hunt? That way you'll get first hand experience.

My own experience with a Vista which has the same antenna receiver as a Legend is that I've always been able to get to the area where the cache is although you do losee reception often in heavy tree cover. But the trick is to set it down and not move it, Usually it'll get a lock on the satellites agin and you'll be able to go on your way. I think the other features will be more imporatant in making your final selection.

Good luck.

ALan

I was in the mountains in the trees with my Vista, and my dad had his 3+(simlar ant to the V), the only time the Vista lost lock was in my pocket, the 3+ had some trouble. I have also had a legend and still have a basic yellow etrex, no complaints. I also had an Eagle, but was not impressed.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.