Downloading Geocaching web pages to a PDA

Bcre8iv

Hello all,

I am new to the pocket pc arena. I was wondering if there is a free program that I can use to download web pages to my pocket pc.

I want to store a few geocahing pages, that have the clues and gps coordinates so I don't have to print them out.

Any help (with detailed instructions) would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Bcre8iv:

I want to store a few geocahing pages, that have the clues and gps coordinates so I don't have to print them out.

Become a geocaching.com Premium Member.

Configure a GPX PocketQuery

Get GPXView installed on your PocketPC.

Then you just wait for the caches to autmatically roll in. Copy a single file to your PPC and you're good to go.

There's about a hundred-dozen other ways, but that would get you where you say you want to be. icon_smile.gif

alex

I use both geoclipping and gpx2html (with PQs). The nice thing about GeoClipping is you don't have to be a Charter Member (though I encourage you to become one). It's downside is that pages must be clipped one at a time, rathen than in bulk. I use it mainly for benchmark info, since I can't get that in a PQ.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

The alternatives have been laid out nicely; I'll step into the advice realm.

I'd suggest starting with Geoclipper. You say you want only a few cache pages, and Geoclipper does that very well. Also, it's the simplest and most straight-forward in terms of setup and supporting software.

When you outgrow that, you will probably want to move on to the other suggestions offered. When Geoclipper becomes too labor-intensive, you will really appreciate the power of pocket queries and the software tools to manage them.

I just have to take the opportunity to thank our programming colleagues for sharing these works with us...they really enhance our caching pleasure.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

There is a manual way to put cache pages on your Pocket PC. You don't have to become a member to do it either. You don't have to learn how to use all the GPX and loc file programs. Geoclipper sounds like a good program however I think it's text only.

The best thing about a Pocket PC is that you have Internet Explorer. You can view the actual web page on your PDA with all the graphics and maps.

It's much like printing out each page. Take the steps you would have for printing out the page. i.e. printer friendly, as many logs or as little logs as you like.

Now instead of printing the page, click on file in the top left of the screen. Now click on save as, edit the file name as you like. I usually cut off the waypoint and just leave the cache name. Save it into a TEMP file in your my documents folder(or where ever). Click save.

A html file(the icon has an E on it) and a folder with the same name will appear in your TEMP folder. Both of these files have to be copied to a folder in your Pocket PC. Move both files at the same time, you can click edit select all or hold down ctrl and select both files. Some Pocket PCs will not allow you to move these files around once they are on the PDA. So put them in the folder/s they will stay in. If you move the files on your PDA the graphics may not work anymore. The page will open with little red Xs all over it.

Once on your PDA just click on the E icon and it will open the cache page in Internet explorer.

I had pages organized in different folders for different areas.

I still use this process when a cache doesn't appear on my Pocket queries.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!

[This message was edited by leatherman on April 12, 2003 at 08:49 PM.]