Magellan 2000XL

Guest KB6RG

Guest KB6RG

I recently purchased my 2000XL, thinking I was buying a model 315. But, the shelf in the store had wrong information and I ended up with the 2000XL.

Do you have a 2000XL, and have you tried using Nickel Metal Hydride batteries?

After posting this query in the wrong area I experimented with NiMH batteries in my 2000XL. I learned something interesting about batteries; the positive terminal varies in diameter, from one make (or type) to another. The negative is constant and of larger diameter.

If your unit has spiral-spring contacts, like the 2000XL, there are some NiMH batteries that will not make proper contact. The result is, they will not work, because the open coil of the spring is of larger diameter than that of the batteries' positive terminal.

Here's an example: Eveready Energizer ACCU RECHARGEABLE (NiMH) are working fine in my 2000XL, because the positive terminal is larger than the opening in the coil-spring contact. By comparison, the NEXcell brand (NiMH) batteries do not work, as a result of contact size differences.

If you install new batteries in your GPS receiver and encounter trouble getting them to work, you may want to check out the contact arrangement (in the GPS) and the diameter of the positive battery contact. A different brand of battery may be a solution to the problem.

------------------

Bob -- KB6RG

on California's

Central Coast

N35°07.240' W120°37.300'

Guest Hawkeyes

For met the GP Powerbank III series 1800mA NimH batteries do great...They have the right size of poles for all the Garmin and Mallegan GPSses I tested (I work in an outdoor shop, and we sell quite a few).

I just bought a Garmin map 76 and they fit great.

Guest KB6RG

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeyes:

For me the GP Powerbank III series 1800mA NimH batteries do great...They have the right size of poles for all the Garmin and Mallegan GPSses I tested (I work in an outdoor shop, and we sell quite a few).

I just bought a Garmin map 76 and they fit great.

Thanks for the reply, Hawkeyes....

With your work, you may have run into the same problem I did with those first batteries I tried. Now, I am using 1200 mAh Eveready NiMH's, and they are doing just fine. But I almost didn't experiment beyond the first ones that didn't do as well. It was just by chance that I discovered the pole diameter vs. coil-size comparison.

Sure glad I did, because I much prefer the NiMH batteries, having used them for a couple years in my portable Ham Transceivers and digital cameras. Best things since sliced bread!

------------------

Bob -- KB6RG

on California's

Central Coast

N35°07.240' W120°37.300'