Garmin GPSmap 76S Question

Greetings, All. Firefishe, outta Michigan.

A couple of questions on the new, just-out-in-April, GPSmap 76S.

1. Does the current firmware for this unit have the Geocaching icon?

2. Does the unit have averaging.

3. Is this a good unit for geocaching? I saw this report at Joe Mehaffey's site (Relevant paragraph 3/4 of the way down the page under the heading "Geocache":

GPSmap 76S Review ala Mehaffey

I'd like some input from real-life users of the GPSmap 76S, how one may have a personal technique/workaround for the polarization-of-antenna/built-in-compass matter mentioned in the review.

I am a bit skeptical of Mehaffey's review when he says that the GPSmap 76 has 2 to 3 times more position errors when held upright. Isn't this how this unit and the rest of the GPS 76x line is supposed to be held? Or is this just relative to using the built-in compass and/or pointer (either singularly or in combination) when going to a cache?

If the GPSmap 76S can pick up satellites like the GPSmap 76 that I just held today at my local Boater's World store--through a wooden roof with 3D 4, 5, and 6 satellite lock within 5 minutes--and less when the info. was already in the unit and I turned it off, then back on again--I can't help but wonder why it wouldn't be excellent for geocaching, regardless of this particular review.

Thank you for you assistance.

Firefishe

Addendum: For comparison--as I've been considering the eTrex Vista--I held a Legend (no Vista in the store, but I figured as it had the same engine, it would probably be similar) and it didn't get *any satellite lock* at all, and through the same wooden roof! To me, this is telling, but I'm still desiring opinions.

--<*[[[[><

Note to those who wonder why I post so much and don't get out geocaching as much as I'd like to:

NO money to buy GPSr! I'm working on this problem, possibly with a grant to start a not-for-profit group locally that would use geocaching as a means to introduce young people to the outdoors, treasure hunting, map and compass work, etc. Wish me luck, please.

So, if I can't 'cache, then I'll post, inquire, and seek technical information, reviews, opinions, etc. Kind of like the person who--when wanting to be a helicopter pilot in the army and is told he does not qualify, gets a position on the crew as a observer-technician, so he can still be near what he loves.

I hope this example satisfies those who have been somewhat critical of me recently (you know who you are icon_wink.gif--and I hold no grudges...life is too short. 'Cache on!) icon_cool.gif

196939_600.gif

[This message was edited by Firefishe on May 17, 2002 at 11:26 PM.]

Firefishe, let me try and answer what I can. #1 YES, this GPSr does have the geocaching icons. #2 YES, this GPSr does have averaging just like the MAP76. #3 Although I have not been geocaching since I received mine about 3 weeks ago, I am going to Hilton Head, SC this week and plan on hitting 4 caches there (while not in class). Also, let me add this. I can sit in my living room which has a high pitched ceiling and pull WAAS data on the "birds" that I pick up. I feel that is a pretty good sign. I never had any real issues with my MAP76 as to holding it for good signals and I don't expect any problems with the 76S however, I too would like to hear from other 76S users. It is funny that since this new GPSr hit the "geocaching streets" these threads have been very quiet when it comes to the 76S. What's up?

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

Firefishe, let me try and answer what I can. #1 YES, this GPSr does have the geocaching icons. #2 YES, this GPSr does have averaging just like the MAP76. #3 Although I have not been geocaching since I received mine about 3 weeks ago, I am going to Hilton Head, SC this week and plan on hitting 4 caches there (while not in class). Also, let me add this. I can sit in my living room which has a high pitched ceiling and pull WAAS data on the "birds" that I pick up. I feel that is a pretty good sign. I never had any real issues with my MAP76 as to holding it for good signals and I don't expect any problems with the 76S however, I too would like to hear from other 76S users. It is funny that since this new GPSr hit the "geocaching streets" these threads have been very quiet when it comes to the 76S. What's up?

----

Hi, Growley. Thank you for your reply. As to "what's up," I don't have the foggiest. I seem to get a lot of flack from people anymore--just because I ask a lot of pertinent questions (impertinent?...didn't know this was a monarchy! icon_wink.gif LOL)

It sounds like you're getting excellent reception with your 76S--I'm glad you're enjoying it! I live near water, so it's going to be doing double duty when I finally buy mine. The tidal database will also be of use when I head to the coasts, globe-trot, etc.

Please let me know how it works for you on your four cache outings--or at least the ones you go to. I'd really like to hear how your unit performs.

Again, it's nice to hear from someone who just wants to "talk tech" and not get into geocaching.com politics (politics on geocaching.com? perish the thought icon_cool.gif).

Have a fun trip, by yourself, or with whomever you're attending with.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

I'll start off by saying, this is my 1st GPSr and I've only had the 76S for a few weeks (although the odometer is now over 1000mi).

With regards to reception, I have had very good luck. While driving I regularly get 10 to 12 satellites locked in. I haven't gotten out to the woods with it yet, but we're going camping soon and I'll have a chance to check it out while hiking in the mountains.

I really like the buttons on the front as opposed to the side for the etrex line. it's so easy to use while driving. Driving sans a mount, i wedge it against the dash and windshield. The buttons on the front make for quick, safer access.

The basemap is really pretty good (especially while driving on the interstate). It announces each upcoming exit or road (unless you wish to turn this off).

I bought and loaded topo for the more rural area of my travels and to get the lakes of the BWCA where I canoe.

Don't know what else I can tell you. I bought mine through The GPS Store and was very satisfied with their service. BTW, they offer a neoprene case with a clear window specifically for the 76 line. I like the little added protection from scratches, etc..

Any other question, please don't hesitate to ask...

Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty and the pig likes it.... icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your replies, Growley and Us 5 Camp! I really do appreciate them.

I'll have to look into that neoprene case when I purchase my GPSmap 76S! It sounds like a winner! The larger zipper belt case Garmin makes is nice, too.

What I'd like to see, however, is a belt holster designed like the dash mount, where you can just slide it into the holster using a similar design. The only thing I'd add is a thin, plastic cover to protect the screen.

Motorola makes some pager holsters like this for their Advisor Pro line of alpha-numeric pagers, and I really liked the way the plastic barrier covered up the display. I think this would be excellent for the '76' line.

As always, I continue to be thankful for your sharing. I think this is going to be an excellent unit for me!

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

took mine on a seven mile hike and geocache this morning. Heavy canopy, heavy clouds and alot of moisture in the air. Got WAAS and had NO trouble with locating the cache. Like much more than my 12map (which is pretty much identical to the 3+). Really like the altimeter and altitude profiles. Track resolution rocks too! Can get the whole state of WV and half of KY on it when loading TOPO's. Tho, I believe land features would determine amount of quads one would be able to load in a given area. The costal marine nav-aids built in are great too. -tide charts etc..-I believe that if I lived in the Carolinas, this would be the only GPSR for me. (no...I am not thinking of anyone in particular) icon_wink.gif Having used several different makes and model GPSR's I can confidently tell you that this puppy is at the top of it's game. The only Garmin for me....Good luck fish........

11902_900.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cache-potato:

took mine on a seven mile hike and geocache this morning. Heavy canopy, heavy clouds and alot of moisture in the air. Got WAAS and had NO trouble with locating the cache. Like much more than my 12map (which is pretty much identical to the 3+). Really like the altimeter and altitude profiles. Track resolution rocks too! Can get the whole state of WV and half of KY on it when loading TOPO's. Tho, I believe land features would determine amount of quads one would be able to load in a given area. The costal marine nav-aids built in are great too. -tide charts etc..-I believe that if I lived in the Carolinas, this would be the only GPSR for me. (no...I am not thinking of anyone in particular) icon_wink.gif Having used several different makes and model GPSR's I can confidently tell you that this puppy is at the top of it's game. The only Garmin for me....Good luck fish........

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/11902_900.gif

Thanks, cache-potato. icon_smile.gif I'm pretty much sold on the Garmin GPSmap 76S now. Now to find creative ways of making the moola required to *exchange* for the unit at tvnav.com icon_cool.gif

Hope that I can get out and do some 'caching soon.

Thanks again for your caching experience with the GPSmap 76S!

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

quote:

Us 5 Camp, In regards to the case you bought, is it one of the blue ones listed on their website? How thick is the clear window? I have been thinking about one of those. Thanks, Dave.

Yes, it is the blue one from their website. I don't have a thickness for the window. It's thick (rigid) enough. I am glad I have the case and it works well. However, while driving there is less glare without the case. (I drive with the 76 wedged between the dash and wind shield.

IMO it was worth the price (though I don't think it will last forever.

I've gotten satelite lock under metal-roofed buildings before, so the reception is incredible.. I've never had any of the e-trex line to compare it to, but I'm planning on borrowing one to see how they stack up..

Everybody is talking about the neoprene case. I just went a got one of my palm-pilot plastic scratch shields and put that on the screen and cut it down. Works great at lowering the glare factor, and I don't have to worry about gouging a big scratch in the screen.

My only complaint is that the manual is a little on the thin side... (Actually, it's a *LOT* on the thin side...) The GPS has worked perfectly for me..

quote:
Originally posted by the_wanderer:

I've gotten satelite lock under metal-roofed buildings before, so the reception is incredible.. I've never had any of the e-trex line to compare it to, but I'm planning on borrowing one to see how they stack up..

Everybody is talking about the neoprene case. I just went a got one of my palm-pilot plastic scratch shields and put that on the screen and cut it down. Works great at lowering the glare factor, and I don't have to worry about gouging a big scratch in the screen.

My only complaint is that the manual is a little on the thin side... (Actually, it's a *LOT* on the thin side...) The GPS has worked perfectly for me..

----

Hello, the_wanderer. Thanks for your feedback.

Case-wise, I'd really like to see a spring-loaded belt holster that the GPSmap 76S (& map76, 76 as well) slides into, like the dash mount, with a plastic "cover" molded into the actual case part, like a pager holster. Cloth and neoprene are great materials, but I'd like to see a bit more in ballistic nylon--like the eTrex line has available for it.

Again, I thank you for your post.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

Firefishe; well I am back from Hilton Head with glowing reports on the 76S. At the first cache, the 76S took me directly to the cache. I was probably within 3 feet of the cache. The compass takes some time getting used to and I would like to hear from someone who is good at using the built in compass. The 2nd cache I went to led me thru an area of moderate to heavy canopy for a good half mile. I held the 76S vertical and then horizontal, checking satellite coverage. Never once did the number of "birds" drop below 5 and normally stayed at 8 or 9. I was taken directly to the 2nd cache as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Growley :

The compass takes some time getting used to and I would like to hear from someone who is good at using the built in compass.

The compass is the BOMB 2ar15smilie.gif just hold it level and line the arrow up with the bar and walk. You will find the cache! Really like this unit!

11902_900.gif

quote:

Us 5 Camp, In regards to the case you bought, is it one of the blue ones listed on their website? How thick is the clear window? I have been thinking about one of those. Thanks, Dave.

I have a blue neoprene case I puchased from thegpsstore.com. I used a micrometer on the window and it is 20/1000 thick.

quote:

Firefishe; well I am back from Hilton Head with glowing reports on the 76S. At the first cache, the 76S took me directly to the cache. I was probably within 3 feet of the cache. The compass takes some time getting used to and I would like to hear from someone who is good at using the built in compass. The 2nd cache I went to led me thru an area of moderate to heavy canopy for a good half mile. I held the 76S vertical and then horizontal, checking satellite coverage. Never once did the number of "birds" drop below 5 and normally stayed at 8 or 9. I was taken directly to the 2nd cache as well.

Glad to hear you received excellent reception with your new GPSmap 76S, Growley! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

My "money-intuiter" senses are letting me know my purchase date is not too far off. icon_biggrin.gif Where is Hilton Head (Island?) again? I forgot.

Thanks again for your feedback...it's helping me to make a decisively informed decision on this unit!

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

We're about 1/2 way through our vacation to Colorado and used the 76S extensively... on the B17 cache we were bushwacking through dense forest at 10,200 ft. Reception was a lot better than I'd expect. Reception would drop out for rare and brief instances and if you stopped under VVery dense cover; any light at all through the trees yeilded a lock. The compas was very handy as we'd take a reading and bushwack to a visible feature; it gave my non gps comrade something to walk towards.

I am so glad I bought this GPS. The case from theGPSstore.com is great for hiking. I clipped the gps to the chest strap of my daypack and it was always accessible and maintained very good reception...

The user interface on the 76 is very good and very intuitive... I feel very comfortable with the features and navigation though the unit is still pretty new...

I just picked up the GPSMAP 76S earlier today from a Galyans sporting goods store. I have no problems picking up four or more satellites from inside my apartment building, so I'd say the antenna's reception capability is pretty good. I haven't tested it out in the field yet but I imagine it will not disappoint me. If you have the money, I think the unit is well worth it.

Greetings, All! Firefishe, outta Michigan.

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread; from what I've seen, this unit will be my first. It has a number of features that meld together to form an excellent offering of "nearly everything in one package."

I finally got to try one out at my local West Marine store, and it seems like it would do the job well. I especially like the Sight 'N' Go feature taken from the eTrex Vista.

My only gripe--and it's a small one--is the lack of a Course Deviation Indicator (also called a Course Pointer, as on the GPS-V and Vista), but this is a minor annoyance, one that I think can be solved by using the "Highway" Page.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who responded. If you want to keep this thread going, please continue to tell me of your "GPSmap 76S Experiences."

Warm regards,

Firefishe

P.S. New Wifey is preggers!!! New 'cacher on the way! icon_wink.gif

196939_600.gif

There is distance "OFF COURSE" in the Map76S. Select MENU in the a Map, Compass or Highway Page, Setuup Page Layout(number of rows), then CHANGE DATA FIELDS, Press Enter Twice, then select "OFF COURSE". I used this in my Compass Page layout while navigating on Tracks last Sunday. The E- compass must be held in a horizontal position to work properly. The unit held vertically for best signal reception. I've used the 76S with Blue Chart and Mapsource Topo... works great! Activate the Heading line from Map page, Setup map, tab to-Other, Heading line--ON. It will take some practice to utilize the full capability.

[This message was edited by Geonavigator on June 15, 2002 at 04:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Geonavigator on June 15, 2002 at 06:59 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Geonavigator:

There is distance "OFF COURSE" in the Map76S. Select MENU in the a Map, Compass or Highway Page, Setuup Page Layout(number of rows), then CHANGE DATA FIELDS, Press Enter Twice, then select "OFF COURSE". I used this in my Compass Page layout while navigating on Tracks last Sunday. The E- compass must be held in a horizontal position to work properly. The unit held vertically for best signal reception. I've used the 76S with Blue Chart and Mapsource Topo... works great! Activate the Heading line from Map page, Setup map, tab to-Other, Heading line--ON. It will take some practice to utilize the full capability.

[This message was edited by Geonavigator on June 15, 2002 at 04:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Geonavigator on June 15, 2002 at 06:59 PM.]

Splendid, Geonavigator! This must be one of those items that's not necessarily gone over in the manual.

I've just printed out the page and am on my way to my local West Marine store to check it out!

Thanks for the information.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

P.S. Let's see...GPS or Diapers...GPS or Diapers? EUREKA! Buy 5 packs of Pampers, get a free GPSmap 76S! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

196939_600.gif

In case you did'nt know about this function I thought I would mention it. If you have UTM, Decimal Degrees, or Degrees-Minutes-Seconds set in your MAP76 or 76S, press the center rocker button while on the satellite viewing screen and you will toggle between one of above selected measurements and Degrees-Minutes-Minutes. Check it out.

I just logged about 1700 miles from lower Michigan, to the Keweenaw Peninsula, and back with my 1.5 month old 76S. Had "3D Differential" for most of the drive. Occasionally lost signal along roads w/heavy tree cover way up in the Keweenaw. Lost signal once for no obvious reason - lots of sky, clear day, ... turned off & back on and all was well. Indoor reception is about the same as with my 12Map.

I have had my 12Map for 2 years. The 76S is a welcome upgrade. The increased memory, 5000 track points, altimeter, compass, and larger screen forced the cash right out of my pocket. The features I discovered after receiving the unit only confirmed my decision.

I love my GPSmap 76, but recently found the 76S on Garmin's site while checking firmware updates for the map76. The only thing I've thought the 76 was lacking was a compass. Now I have to think about how to trade up... Should I sell my 76 on eBay and put the $ toward a new 76S? Yes, I think so. Anyone wanna buy my mint condition, latest firmware map76? icon_biggrin.gif

Garmin GPSmap 76 -

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

quote:
Originally posted by SergZak:

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

Does the GPSmap 76S support address lookup with the proper MapSource data?

Yes it does. I have MetroGuide(2) USA maps from Southern CA loaded into my MAP 76S and the address lookup works just fine.

Thanks, SergZak! Cool! icon_cool.gif

I just played around with it and the GPS-V again in the store today. I keep flipping between the two, but the GPSmap 76S wins out! I just love that active compass, feels good in the hand, etc. Now this 'cacher must become a ca$her so he could go a''cachin'. icon_eek.gif What a tongue-twister that was! icon_razz.gif

Okay...off to the classified ads for my local paper. That pickup truck of mine should be put to good and constructive use hauling local fodder;).

Thanks again.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif