Comments on the Garmin 76s

raouljan

I have received my new 76s and have gone and hunted a couple of benchmarks with it. Here are my observations on the unit after 1 days worth of use. Hopefully those who are considereing this unit will find this usefull.

1. Gosh .. this thing is BIG. I have a 12, a yellow eTrex and now the 76s. I knew this was going to be bigger than the other two .. but gosh...this thing is big.

2. Lots of data! The screens are full of information... all of them. I know that this can be modified..but I think I will leave this for some time when I have more time. The screen is HUGE compared to the eTres and the 12. You can almost read it from across the street!

3. The unit "feels" good in the hand. The form factor is totally different than the eTrex or the 12. It is more like using a handheld radio.

4. Lock is more sensitive than the eTrex or the 12. Right now, under a roof, in kind of a valley, I have a 3D Differential lock and am showing about 5 meters accuracy. I have lock on 9 birds and showing "D" on all. I have noticed that when I set the unit down next to a benchmark to take a picture the coords change slightly from those that were marked when holding vert.

5. The magnetic compass takes some getting used to as you have to change the position of the unit from vert to horz. When you are standing still and move the unit to horz to use the compass you loose some signal. I do find this very usefull and it is nice not to have to switch between GPS and regular compass. However .. the old compass will always be with me!

6. Barometer... this function does not appear to be as usefull as I though it was going to be... but give me a couple more days icon_biggrin.gif

7. 24 Megs of memory is a LOT of memory! I have downloaded about 50% of Arizona and Utah into the unit and the memory only shows about 10% used. Downloading all these maps into the unit took 45 minutes and the unit switched to 11.5 during the download... nice touch. However, at the end of the download the unit went "non-responsive" according to MapSource. However... I THINK all the maps made it down to the GPS...

8. The old "jam the GPS between the dash and the window" trick does not work with my car (a Subi)and this GPSr. It is just too big. Probably a plot to sell more clamps.

In short... I find the 76s to be one heck of a unit! It is probably overkill for Geocaching, but since I use a GPSr for a lot of things, it fits my needs very well.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00217% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

On your number 7 point, Garmin's memory usage meter only applies to a combined amount of total waypoints saved, tracks (saved and current), and the routes saved. It has nothing to do with the map memory.

The only way to know how much memory you're using is to check the total map size in MapSource when you transfer them.

But all your observations I agree with. I bought the GPSMAP76 (not the S) because I couldn't justify the extra expense of the altimiter and compass, but I'm very happy with mine.

Our family has 4 Garmin gps units (sick, huh?), and the 76 is my favorite once I get out of the car to find a cache (my Street Pilot III gets me to the nearest parking lot!)

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. Do you mean is there a way to see how much you actually transferred AFTER you've transferred it? I don't think so. You would have to load up the same maps in MapSource and then see what the total is.

MapSource will allow you to save a mapset with routes and tracks and stuff. Then you could refer back to it.

Or do you mean, how much memory is left over? This doesn't matter with Garmin units because EVERY time you transfer maps to your gps it erases what's there. So you always need to load it with what you want - there's no way to add to what's already been transferred.

I saved the waypoints and maps under MapSource.

I re-open the file and all the maps shows under the map tab. Selecting one will allow you to get a "properties" window that will show the map size. Select more than one and the properties option goes gray. So I guess the question is.. Is there a way to get "properties" for all the maps and thus get a total .. as opposed to selecting them 1 by 1 and adding them up by hand?

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00217% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

What version of MapSource are you using? Mine shows the total number of MB for the maps at the bottom of the map list. The current version of MapSource is 4.09, and it's a free download from Garmin.

There's some other good features added to the 4.09 MapSource, and some things are more intuitive with it now also. The earliest MapSource I used was 4.03 (I think) and it had the total size listed as well.

I've been using the "76S" for the past five months with MapSource Topo and BlueChart. I also use Maptech Terrain Navigator and Chart Navigator on my PC interfaced with the Map76S. When on the road or under a dense forest canopy an external antenna is attached. The EPE is usually less than 20 feet without signal loss. The unit fits perfectly in my pocket. I can operate the "76S" held in either hand. This GPS will support most any navigation need with an array of user options. I have no need for highway directions. I've navigated through the forest, intracoastal and offshore waters day and night without a problem. Garmin has provided timely product support when requested.

Thanks ZachNLiam!

Looks like the memory is 21.7 megs...

Glad I got the 24 meg unit!

Also .. very nice of Garmin to ship 3.0 with the CDs... nothing worked unit I downloaded 4.09!

On a side note... in regards to the old "jam between the dash and the window" trick. I went down to a well known office supply store whos initials are OD and found a "Phone Home" cell phone holder that fits into the cup holder on the Subi. It holds the 76s like a glove... plus it can be turned toward the drivers seat! Viewing is very good! 6 bucks! HAH!

Go to Mapsorce and upload Maps from GPS back to the computer. What that does is to show in mapsorce, the maps used,and the amount of memory taken by the maps. After uploading maps back to the computer, you can Select or Deselect maps, then reload the maps back to the GPS. Mapsource will always overwrite the maps that were in any Garmin gps, with the new ones.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

Geo Nav Dude, whats your take on the blue charts?

I live in Green Bay ,and am thinking about getting the charts for the bay and Lk.Michigan.

Also I have been pressing Garmin about a blue chart for Lake of the Woods on the Min. Canada border(million acres,14500 islands)the said to either by the fishing hot spots CD ,which is a joke, or the wait and see.

I have the Blue Chart with an unlock code only for my computer (not my gps, which is very expensive). We won't go into how I got this... lol

Anyway, the Blue Chart maps look VERY impressive. My uncle has a boat in Canada and he has the c-chart (I think that's what they're called) maps. He saw a friend's Blue Chart maps and he was completely blown away.

By the way, Garmin's website has a viewer where you can see what the maps actually look like. Just remember, you really have to zoom in on the Blue Chart maps to see all the detail!

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

By the way, Garmin's website has a viewer where you can see what the maps actually look like. Just remember, you really have to zoom in on the Blue Chart maps to see all the detail!

I know about the MapSource MapViewer, but have never seen BlueCharts listed as one of the map options. What's the URL for viewing the BlueChart maps? All I can find are a few selected screen shots.

quote:
Originally posted by Raouljan:

I have received my new 76s and ....

1. Gosh .. this thing is BIG. I have a 12, a yellow eTrex and now the 76s. I knew this was going to be bigger than the other two .. but gosh...this thing is big.

3. The unit "feels" good in the hand. The form factor is totally different than the eTrex or the 12. It is more like using a handheld radio.

8. The old "jam the GPS between the dash and the window" trick does not work with my car (a Subi)and this GPSr. It is just too big. Probably a plot to sell more clamps.

In short... I find the 76s to be one heck of a unit!

I just wanted to comment on the above points.

The 76 series is larger than the e-trex series. Actually, I prefer the size of the 76's. The buttons are more intuitive than the e-trex line and it does fit quite well in shirt, short & fanny pack pockets I've used.

I just finished using it with a RAM mount on a 3day canoe trip and it was an awesome addition to that trip.

I used to "jam" the 76s between the dash and steering wheel of our Grand Caravan, we just traded to an Astro and that no longer works. I've come up with another solution.

No regrets for me on the 76S... its been great for Geocaching, biking, canoeing, flying commercially & privately, driving..... (only wish it did routing....)

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

After taking the 76s on an rather extended cache hunt, I though I would update the comments I made...

1. The unit is still BIG .. but comfortable in use. When you are using this unit, there is no question as to operation. After about a days worth of use I could use this GPSr with my eyes closed... or rather... while flying down the road headed for the next cache.

2. MAPS... I can not say enough about the maps. There is another thread about how a Garmin V is like shooting fish in a barrel... Well if the V is like shooting fish in a barrel, then then the 76s with the topos loaded is like holding the fish up to the barrel icon_biggrin.gif I was zooming around towns that I had never visited ... finding short cuts and secondary roads... WOW!

3. There is really nothing bad I can say about this unit.. It is big, but the $6 cell phone holder worked so well...

4. GOSH... BLATHER... BLATHER... BLATHER..

5. It is expensive... but well worth the cash IMHO

1) You can have different backlight settings for whether it's on DC power or the batteries.

2) If it's on DC power and it's removed, it offers to turn itself off for you!

3) After loading MapSource data, this unit freakin' rocks.. I still miss the auto routing of the V, but I'll trade it for the compass...

4) After you figure the unit out, geocaching is all about walking up to the cache...

In all fairness, I do have 1 complaint about the unit.. It eats batteries for lunch!! Invest in rechargables....