Helmet/Hat-Antenna

I've noticed that when using a GPS, if you hold the unit a few feet higher, you can get sometimes up to 20% more accuracy. Has anyone ever considered making an "antenna-hat" for their GPS? In addition to the added accuracy, it would also allow hands-free tracking. Anyone ever done this?

-AO

I have not seen one, but I think it would be a interesting idea to put that into a hat. If someone does this, it would be nice to disguise the antenna a little. I mean, come on, I look goofy enough as is sometimes walking around with a GPSr doing the drunking bee dance. I really don't need to add to my geekyness, I pretty much have that covered already!

Probably going to depend on a few things including the constellation and your own orientation.

Holding up a little higher probably clears the effect of the body as an obstruction as sat signals are line of sight and ones body is enough to stop them. That's the idea behind external antenna's as they generally get the recieved signals away from any obstructions.

Possibly pick up that extra previously obstructed satellite (or 2 or more) and it might be enough to improve the constellation geometry (PDOP, HDOP etc) considerably and since accuracy is basically directed to DOP, improve your DOP you'll improve your basic accuarcy to a point.

Generally for best reception with a handheld try to face the equator as there's no satellite orbits over either of the poles.

As for external antenna's they also have a preferred horizontal orientation (try one upside down and see what happens) and any tilting can cause an artifical cut-off horizon.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Probably going to depend on a few things including the constellation and your own orientation.

Holding up a little higher probably clears the effect of the body as an obstruction as sat signals are line of sight and ones body is enough to stop them. That's the idea behind external antenna's as they generally get the recieved signals away from any obstructions.

Possibly pick up that extra previously obstructed satellite (or 2 or more) and it might be enough to improve the constellation geometry (PDOP, HDOP etc) considerably and since accuracy is basically directed to DOP, improve your DOP you'll improve your basic accuarcy to a point.

Generally for best reception with a handheld try to face the equator as there's no satellite orbits over either of the poles.

As for external antenna's they also have a preferred horizontal orientation (try one upside down and see what happens) and any tilting can cause an artifical cut-off horizon.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

I think that a couple people around here have put an antenna on a hat.

I've been wondering if it's possible to put a re-radiating antenna on a battery pack and use that on a helmet. I'd like to try it, but the re-radiating antennas are generally ~ $100. A bit too much for me to afford right at the moment.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.