Satalite Reception in a new automobile.

putt

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gifI recently purchased a new (2004) Buick Rendezvous and my Garmin Ledgend will not pick up any satalites because of the coating on the front window. You can get a sparodic signal once in a while. I have tried a radiating antenna but it is also sparodic. Other than getting another GPS are ther any suggrstions???

quote:
Originally posted by putt:

I have tried a radiating antenna but it is also sparodic.

Are you putting the remote antenna outside the window?

The film is going to block the signal, so no GPS (or external/remote antenna) will do any better. However, if you place the remote antenna outside (and run the cable in thru the window), you should have no problem.

stunod_sig.gif

mystats.php?userid=Stunod&vopt=user&txtdata=Eamus%20Catuli!&bgcol=ffffcc&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

The problems is that the front windshields have a metallic film in them now that didn't exist several years ago that inhibits the signal pretty bad. I was in a Buick Rendezvous on vacation and had a terrible time of getting of signal. I had to mount the windshield mount to the side window just to get a signal, and that was....annoying. A re-radiating antenna is going to be a must-have for me in the future when I can get a new vehicle.

forumsig1.jpg