Rino 110/120 Unit USERS - Review(s), Q&A

Cymbaline

Well I was out playing with the radio on the Rino 120 today and it still sounded like crap when listening with my Motorola T289. We also had a T250 which sounded great with.

When talking with both T289's they sound good together.

When talking with T289 to T250 he could not hear me at 1/4 mile away but had no problem hearing me with the Rino.

The thought was borught up that the T289 might be tuned off frequency a little bit when compared to the Rino and T250.

I do have the 2.30 installed.

Any thoughts?

Make sure the Motorola's have all the special stuff shut off. Things like "Quiet mode", or "voice scramble" ... They use different scrambles than the Garmin. They can't OR should NOT be off frequency, that's not it. Also, make sure the voice scramble option is turned off on the Rino also. Did you adjust he microphone on the Rino?

Regards,

Birdman

quote:
Originally posted by Birdman (The real one):

Make sure the Motorola's have all the special stuff shut off. Things like "Quiet mode", or "voice scramble" ... They use different scrambles than the Garmin. They can't OR should NOT be off frequency, that's not it. Also, make sure the voice scramble option is turned off on the Rino also. Did you adjust he microphone on the Rino?

Regards,

Birdman

I'll have to check the settings on the T289.

I know the scramble is off on the Rino and yes the mic was adjusted.

Later

Benjamin,

I just found the following blurb from a Radio WEB site, this could be why the radios are not "compatible".....

"Since the Family Radio Service shares its first seven channels with the general Mobile radio Service 'odd' simplex frequencies, it is natural to expect that a GMRS radio can communicate with an FRS radio. Since GMRS radios deviate (or modulate) 5 kc wide, and FRS radios only 2.5 kc, the FRS radio must be able to accept the additional bandwidth of the GMRS radio's transmitted audio at 100% modulation. FRS radios that have too narrow an IF bandwidth cut out when listening to a louder GMRS transmission. Also, FRS radios that use 'companding' do not work well with GMRS radios. Companding is when the transmitter on one radio compresses the microphone audio, so everything is sent at maximum modulation level (including background noise). Then the receiver expands the audio to try and restore the sonic depth and openness to the compressed audio. Major downgrade."

Regards,

Birdman

quote:
Originally posted by Birdman (The real one):

Benjamin,

I just found the following blurb from a Radio WEB site, this could be why the radios are not "compatible".....

"Since the Family Radio Service shares its first seven channels with the general Mobile radio Service 'odd' simplex frequencies, it is natural to expect that a GMRS radio can communicate with an FRS radio. Since GMRS radios deviate (or modulate) 5 kc wide, and FRS radios only 2.5 kc, the FRS radio must be able to accept the additional bandwidth of the GMRS radio's transmitted audio at 100% modulation. FRS radios that have too narrow an IF bandwidth cut out when listening to a louder GMRS transmission. Also, FRS radios that use 'companding' do not work well with GMRS radios. Companding is when the transmitter on one radio compresses the microphone audio, so everything is sent at maximum modulation level (including background noise). Then the receiver expands the audio to try and restore the sonic depth and openness to the compressed audio. Major downgrade."

Regards,

Birdman

Thanks for the info.

So I guess the T289 is not compatible with the Rino and the T250 is.

Any one else have this problem with other FRS only radio's?

Alright...I'll behave...and make that PG-13. And for the record, the 120 I have also matches the description that Birdman (the real one) mentioned above (acquired in Dec.). icon_cool.gif So far, so good. Placed a moving cache yesterday with it and took 2 reading (just in case). And then double checked with MapQuest to see how close it was, before posting. I was very pleased to see it matched. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to incur the wrath of irate cachers at the next get together. icon_razz.gif

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

Thanks Mr Rose and ..flir~tgirl..

But, when you purchase it won't really make a difference. I just bought mine a few days ago. Bought it at a West Marine store. It was the 1st one the've sold, so, it could have been sitting on there shelf 6 months (or whenever they went up for sale...). Not to mention it probably first came from their main warehouse in Idaho(or whereever it is..) and was sitting there since .....

Anywho. I've played with it for a few days now. The GPS side of the unit is VERY amazing as mentioned and has some nioce features. BUT I do have a great deal of difficulty pressing "UP". It takes "enter" instead.

Regards,

Birdman

The Rinos just became avaiable in Canada we don't have the GRMS but I love it all the same I find its accuracy increadble it lead me derectly to a cache, I was right above it and it said I was only a meter away. the radio is not that great but I already have several fRS anyway

More to see, More to do

I purchased a Rino 120 after owning a extrex Vista and an pleased with the newer layout and radio functions. I am currently on FRS only and applying for my GMRS license! I have used it with some Audiovox FRS radios I owned for over 3 years now and it was OK with one unit and they could not hear me with the other.

I also purchased a bargain Audiovox GPS/GMRS/FRS for a secondary unit. Which uses GMRS and FRS and with my license my wife and I and Child can speak with no problems icon_smile.gif

My question is I am taking a trip up north with several stops a long the way. Its odd, but I want to go from A to B then to C and back. HOWEVER I want to have one route from A to B and another ROUTE from A to C (because C to A is my overall return route.)

So I made the route from A to B (Phoenix to Chinle AZ)

Then I copied it. And I wanted to add a waypoint to the end called C. But Once I copy I cannot seem to enter anything but a waypoint that I enter coords. I need to see the map to click the next stopping point (Four Corners AZ). I dont know those Coords and that isnt the point!

Any ideas?

I just received my Rino 120 about 2 days ago and so far it has been geat. I was wondering if all headsets that fit in the jack will work. I have been trying to use my XBOX headset that fits into the jack but im not getting any noise from in it. Now out of 3 times i tried it, one time it auto detected that it was a headset and did hear static for a half a second and thats it.

Also, is anyone using (cell phone) headsets that are working correctly???

[This message was edited by Duggie on January 23, 2003 at 09:23 AM.]

I've just received my new Rino 120 and I'm so excited! New to geocaching, and need help deciding which mapsource cd to get. What's the difference between the Metroguide and Roads and Rec? We will be using our new toy for geocaching as well as roadtrips with the kidlets. Any information to make my decision easier would be appreciated.

Just a note to all you Rino users out there...found a great source for cheap deals on accessories and software...

http://www.mall24-7.com/rino120acc.htm

quote:
Originally posted by jasonhuber:

"... I am currently on FRS only and applying for my GMRS license!"

FYI, you can apply for the GMRS license online and pay with your credit card. The FCC's site is a bit cumbersome (requires Java and Acrobat to be working properly), but I managed to battle my way through it (took about 25 minutes).

You first have to get an FRN at the CORES site, and then use ULS to submit FCC Form 605 electronically. Confused? I was too, even with this site listing step-by-step:

GMRS Licensing

Oh, and don't bother looking at the "required reading," which is just about harmfulness of RF and really appears to me geared toward an engineer either designing a hand-held unit or installing a permanent station:

Section 97.13© RF Safety

Amatuer Service of OST/OET Bulletin Number 65

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Originally posted by Duggie:

Also, is anyone using (cell phone) headsets that are working correctly???

FYI, I've been using a Motorola headset with my 120. (Sorry, doesn't look like there's a P/N clearly on it). No problems with it thus far. Sound quality has been good. icon_cool.gif

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

I replaced my ageing Garmin GPS III with two Rino 120 models. The ability to upload map data into a dual-purpose unit is really fantastic. Even in town (Boston) it's useful. I get off the subway and have it search for the nearest Italian restaurant (or whatever) and walk straight there like a native.

I do, however, have a fairly major problem with both units. They power-down spontaneously, without warning. After a lot of investigation, I found the culprit. It seems that my units are particularly susceptible to static electricity. When slipping the unit in or out of my fleece jacket pocket, it will often turn off. The problem is reproducible - just a light rub on a fleece jacket, or sometimes a cotton t-shirt will do it.

Do I have a couple of unique units, or is everyone having this problem? It is cold and dry at the moment, but having the units turn off like that in cold, dry weather makes them unusable for communication, unless both parties are holding the units in their hands (ie. you can't call someone and hour into a hike because their unit will have shut off).

When I contacted Garmin, I hadn't figured out it was static. It seemed sporadic then. They were surprised, but gave me an RMA number. I don't want to return them for new ones if the new ones will have the same problem.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks,

Nick Moore

Can anybody recommend a speaker microphone for the Rino 120? I am disappointed that Garmin doesn't offer this accessory for the Rino's.

Overall I am very satisfied with my Rino. For my purposes it is great. I use it for short range communication (less than 1 mile), and for locating where I am at (with the uploadable maps) in the city and in the mountains. I have not noticed a power down problem that some people have reported. I also think that the audio quality is satisfactory. I also have several FRS and HAM radios.

quote:
Originally posted by jbclimber:

I have been using my Rino 120 for some snowshoeing this winter. I have been using Lithium batteries due to the cold weather. The battery life is very impressive with lithium batteries. I have over 24 hours of GPS and radio use, and the battery signal is still at full strength!

Where did you get these lithium batteries?

Newbie looking to get a unit for Geocaching. I like the sound of these units. I currently have 3 Motorola radios. 2 talkabout 200's, and a T6300. Can anyone tell me if these are compatable with the Rino 120? Great thread...thanks for helping me make up my mind. I'll probably get the Rino 120 regardless of the compatability issue.

Edge

Here is some info posted by the Birdman

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by njemoore:

I replaced my ageing Garmin GPS III with two Rino 120 models. The ability to upload map data into a dual-purpose unit is really fantastic. Even in town (Boston) it's useful. I get off the subway and have it search for the nearest Italian restaurant (or whatever) and walk straight there like a native.

I do, however, have a fairly major problem with both units. They power-down spontaneously, without warning. After a lot of investigation, I found the culprit. It seems that my units are particularly susceptible to static electricity. When slipping the unit in or out of my fleece jacket pocket, it will often turn off. The problem is reproducible - just a light rub on a fleece jacket, or sometimes a cotton t-shirt will do it.

Do I have a couple of unique units, or is everyone having this problem? It is cold and dry at the moment, but having the units turn off like that in cold, dry weather makes them unusable for communication, unless both parties are holding the units in their hands (ie. you can't call someone and hour into a hike because their unit will have shut off).

When I contacted Garmin, I hadn't figured out it was static. It seemed sporadic then. They were surprised, but gave me an RMA number. I don't want to return them for new ones if the new ones will have the same problem.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks,

Nick Moore

I got out of my car yesterday and got shocked in the hand that contained the unit. It did not power off and I remembered these posts so I made a point of looking at it immediately.

Been playing with my unit since I read the post about the unit shutting itself off. So far, it hasn't done it due to static electricity, just from a good drop (from about hand height while gracefully tripping... icon_rolleyes.gif I swear that tree root moved icon_biggrin.gif)

That's what I keep telling HER!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

Its sortuf funny how the Rinos' seem to have a smaller screen then the Etrexs. But really the Rino's is bigger.

Etrex Screen: 1.1 x 2.2 (2.31 sq. inches)

Rino Screen : 1.4 x 1.4 (2.56 sq. inches)

icon_wink.gif

-Let's play Global Thermonuclear War-

quote:
Originally posted by Night Hunter:

Before I buy a 120, I was wondering if any of you felt that the 8MB of memory was not enough for the amount/detail of mapping that you want to download?

Thanks

Night Hunter

In using Roas and Rec or Topo 8mb is plenty for what I need it for. You can download a lot of maps in your area and forget about it for a while. I forget off hand how many maps I have in there but it is a lot. Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by LoneHowler:

I bought a bash guard for my Rino I haven't dropped it yet with the bash guard, on so I don't know if it works yet. the black one looks nice though

Man I told you you were a nerd! A bash guard! HA!

No seriously how much did you pay? Best I found was here:

Bash Guard ($14)

But some pics are here:

Picture

Question is why do I need a new belt clip? I got one with my Rino. Does the bash guard make my clip useless? Or is it just an extra?

I have a 120 and I like to use it in the car to keep me on track. 8MB is enough to get me to most places if I know in advance where I'm going, but it's not enough to install all the maps I want.

I would like to be able to drive an hour in any direction from my house and have detailed maps. With 8mb, it's more like a 15 to 20-mile radius.

Other than the fact that's it's only got 8mb, it's a great GPS unit.

If I had more cash, I'd just use this one on foot and get a car-unit for the car.

Of course I bought my two Rino 120's a couple weeks ago, before reading any reviews. I glad other users are as pleased as I am. The battery thing is definatley an issue. I switched from standard AA alkaline to AA lithium batteries and its well worth the few extra dollars. With the alkalines my battery meter went down after my first outing. With the lithiums I have used the device a couple of times and the battery meter hasn't gone down at all yet.

quote:
I switched from standard AA alkaline to AA lithium batteries and its well worth the few extra dollars.

I bought the Rayovac 1 hour battery charger which works in my car and at home. 8 batteries @ $20 so Im in for about $50 and never need to buy again (ok in 1000) charges.

Oh yeah! You can charge one at a time (or three). AND they seem to last longer than Alkaline when you purchase the Nickel Metal Hydride NiMH.

Here is a link:

Charger at Walmart.com