Rino 110/120 Unit USERS - Review(s), Q&A

Cymbaline

quote:
To have the capabilities of a higher-end standalone FRS unit, the Rino would be well into the $250-450 range.

I respectfully disagree. Compare the 110 to the Garmin 72. The 72 meets or exceeds almost every spec. and I sell it for $159.00. That makes the radio part of the equation worth about $10. or so, and I stand on my opinion that $10.00 is about all it's worth. I can buy better quality radios for $20, almost anywhere.

quote:
Dunno what he was looking for for $170, but

I wasn't "looking" for anything.....I was just "calling 'em as I see 'em" As I have mentioned before, I love the concept of the RINO.I am confident it will mature to the point where I might pay the money a buy a pair instead of borrowing them from the store icon_smile.gif

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

if you were planning on getting a cable, you might as well of gotten the 120

150(rino 110, 1 mb) + 40(cable,) = 190

220(rino 120, cable, basemap, exit info, 8 mb)

so for about 30 more bucks assuming you buy the cable seperate of 110, you get basemap, exit info and 8 more mb's.

Do you agree? icon_rolleyes.gif

If I had it to do over again.. yes, I would have gotten the 120. At the time, I didn't figure the "overhead" into the equation. Bet your bottom dollar the next unit I buy will be a 120, though. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

quote:
To have the capabilities of a higher-end standalone FRS unit, the Rino would be well into the $250-450 range.

I respectfully disagree. Compare the 110 to the Garmin 72. The 72 meets or exceeds almost every spec. and I sell it for $159.00. That makes the radio part of the equation worth about $10. or so, and I stand on my opinion that $10.00 is about all it's worth. I can buy better quality radios for $20, almost anywhere.

quote:
Dunno what he was looking for for $170, but

I wasn't "looking" for anything.....I was just "calling 'em as I see 'em" As I have mentioned before, I love the concept of the RINO.I am confident it will mature to the point where I might pay the money a buy a pair instead of borrowing them from the store icon_smile.gif

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

Alpha, thanks for responding, and I apologize for not getting back here sooner to respond. BTW, I ref'd your topic on this thread.

However, you're saying you could buy a FRS for $10 in THIS thread, and/or you thought that radio on the Rino was only worth $10-20. Last I checked, you can't buy a Walkabout for that amount, but it SEEMED to be that is what you were comparing it to. If it wasn't, where are these $20 better-radios you're talking about? Share the wealth, as it were!

If you weren't, my bad, my mistake. There's FRS "units", and then there's FRS *units*! To which were you making your comparison?

Thanks again, hopefully I've not ruffled too many feathers.

I had the same problem with my 110-

I just bought the rino120, went through the manual and for the life of me I cannot find where you set the date. It stays at 19-aug-22. firmware bug??

My dealer contacted Garmin and they gave us several things to try short of stand on your head, hold your mouth like this, etc.. Kidding, they were very helpful, however their fixes did not work. I ended up sending it back for a new one and while I was at it I upgraded to a second 120 unit. I have a feeling that if when you initially turn it on if you are indoors and it can't lock on to a satelite (initially) then this might happen. Just a hunch

HOTPHOOT

Hi All,

I have a pair of rinos. On one rino the tracklog is displayed as a thin, single dotted line (which I like) and on the other, the tracklog is displayed as a thick double line (actually a series of little boxes) which I find annoying as it obscures the underlaying map, particularly if I'm walking in circles over a small area as when searching for a cashe can. I understand that tracklogs received from other users should use a different line type so they are distinquishable from the tracklog made by my unit but I would like the tracklog made by my unit to use the thin single line. I have scoured the menus but I haven't found a setting that could be changed. Also, when uploading tracks from the PC I get the thick lines on both units.

Anyone have an idea of how to change the line thickness /line type for tracks?

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by ironwing:

Hi All,

I have a pair of rinos. On one rino the tracklog is displayed as a thin, single dotted line (which I like) and on the other, the tracklog is displayed as a thick double line (actually a series of little boxes) which I find annoying as it obscures the underlaying map, particularly if I'm walking in circles over a small area as when searching for a cashe can. I understand that tracklogs received from other users should use a different line type so they are distinquishable from the tracklog made by my unit but I would like the tracklog made by my unit to use the thin single line. I have scoured the menus but I haven't found a setting that could be changed. Also, when uploading tracks from the PC I get the thick lines on both units.

Anyone have an idea of how to change the line thickness /line type for tracks?

Dan

I do have an Idea, I believe that the track is always the same size, unless you have back tracked and it shows the back and forth track right next to eachother. BUT, on the map setup menu you can adjust the maximum zoom that it will show the track log. I have mine set at AUTO, but you may want to adjust yours to 1.2 MILE. This will make it so it only shows the track at 1.2 mile zoom or closer. BUT(again) this is just an idea, as the zoom will keep the size track as you zoom out, but it will get less detailed because you are so far away. So im not sure, mine is just little dots like you described, also try looking at the track log mode (normal, more detailed, most detailed) icon_eek.gif

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.

Just a quick report on letting my fiance keep the Rino 120 in the fanny pack while x-county skiing today.

Very cloudy and light snow today with about 6-8" of snow on the ground.

The Rino was in the watter bottle holder on the fanny pack, which is on the outside of the pack. She must have fallen about six times and every time the Rino was covered in snow and would still work with no problems. There was one time the unit shut off after a fall but fired right up and took a lock on the sat's. After skiing the Rino was very wet and by the time we got home it had dried out and still works perfectly. So far so good as far as water proofing this unit.

quote:
Originally posted by eTrexer:

I have 2 Rino's, and when I go to channel 22 GMRS, and I try to swich sub channels I get little incons on the place were the number are. If I keep on trying to scroll the screen goes blank and then I have to take the batteries out to shut it off icon_confused.gif

I did a check on mine to see if I had the same problem, and it is true, when changing the code on channel 22, it messes up untill i press the page key.

HMMMMMM.... icon_mad.gif

Got to say I wish I had found this site before. Anyhow, bought a team of Paintballer's 7 Rino 120's and we finally got our units the middle of Dec (ordered in OCT for $211 each + $18 for the headsets icon_wink.gif. Reason we decided on 120's was the position transfer/voice scramble features, not to mention we use FRS and GPS anyhow. Started doing the geocaching while waiting for a game and I love the unit, seems to work very well, radio was ok (almost 1 mile in housing area, and GPS with WAAS got me within 25 ft in heavy woods for caches) EasyGPS (free) download works great, already have lots loaded into the unit. As for ease of use, my 7 YO daughter can work it. icon_biggrin.gif Anyone want more info or to compare email me from my website.

I asked Garmin how to do a factory Reset

Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

To do a master reset press and hold "page" "enter" and power the unit on

while holding those buttons down.

Best Regards,

you lose everything durring the rest so have it backed up

icon_redface.gif

I just read the quickstart guide and manual for the Rino (no - I haven't received mine yet, but the manuals are available for download). These are the things that sold me on the Rino.

1) I love the ability to show waypoints 'by distance' instead of 'by name' - that allows me to download a bunch of waypoints and then when I get where I'm going, I can see which ones are closest to me. This may be available on other units, but I never saw it.

2) It's also possible to send a waypoint to another Rino user even if you're not at that location. (Meet me here in an hour.)

3) In addition to being able to speficy your name, you can also choose a face icon to represent you. This is displayed on the screens of other Rino's you transmit to.

4) You can tell it to scan only selected FRS channels, or all channels.

5) There are 10 ring tones, plus vibrate mode.

6) You can scramble voice transmissions so only other Rino users can hear you (not other FRS users).

7) Waypoints can be named with up to 10 characters.

8) You can select the four data fields that display on the right side of the compass screen and the seven fields on the trip computer screen. There are 36 datum to choose from (odometer, bearing, vertical speed, eta, etc...)

9) You can select which pages (and the order of pages) that are displayed when you 'cycle' through the pages. (there are 14 pages, not including the FOUR GAMES. Some of the games are multi-player games that you play agains other RIno users!)

My favorite line from the manual: "Games are provided as an entertainment feature."

Has anybody figured out how to....

get the lanyard attached? I tried to pull the loop through the two holes in the bottom but I couldn't get the back cover to seal tightly. Searched through the "read me first" guide and the manual, but no luck

Called Garmin and they say that the lanyard is to be attached to the D ring on the battery cover.

quote:
Originally posted by idahoright:

Has anybody figured out how to....

get the lanyard attached? I tried to pull the loop through the two holes in the bottom but I couldn't get the back cover to seal tightly. Searched through the "read me first" guide and the manual, but no luck

Called Garmin and they say that the lanyard is to be attached to the D ring on the battery cover.

Use the D ring as Garmin stated.

yes you are true, to relieve some of the less known aspects of the RINOs, I made a website that I have posted before, on it, it has pictures of the inside, reviews on every little aspect, more details on the games, usefullness of certain screens, and radio power, not to mention comparisons of MAPSOURCE products and how much you can fit on the 8mb provided by the RINO 120. Its worth your time to atleast take a look, and I post reviews of other people if you send it to me, their are already 4 or 5 other user reviews posted at the end of the RINO review.

So just click on the link, then click on the RINOs and read away!

LINK: www.Geocities.com/etrexrose/GPS

Ok, I don't even know what "Geocaching" is, your all yappin about, but I'll be sure to read here and try to figure it out!! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm interested in the Rino 120 and a 110, maybe, but for different reasons. I must say off the bat though, I agree more with "Alpha" above, the unit is desinged more to be a FRS/GMRS radio than a GPS unit. Think about it, it is a radio with GPS stuff added to it, NOT the other way around. Just because you folks are GPS fans doesn't mean that is what the device was desinged for. Keep that in mind. None of that really matters, but what the heck, thats my 3 cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Anywho, now to the questions:

1. No one above has stated anything about the quality, distance, ease of use(or lack of any of those) about the GMRS side of the radio??? Nobody has tried or tested that out? That is the BETTER part of the radio. Let us know how it works!! icon_wink.gif

2. Can the unit use LiON batteries? And if so (I wouldn't see why not!) how long are they lasting compare to the NmH's and Alki's?

3. Is there any way to charge the batteries without having to remove them from the unit? An accessory charger of any kind....? I didn't notice any on Garmins Web site.

4. Does the 110 model have vibrate mode? The Garmin web site says no to 110 and yes to 120. Is that true? If so, why did they only put vibrate on the 110, doesn't make sense.

5. Can they Scan both FRS AND GMRS channels? OR can they only scan FRS channels?

Thanks a bunch in advance for the help!!

PS- As background, I'm looking to buy one 120 unit, and one 110 unit. I would like to use the GMRS radio side of them for skiing communication and I would like the use the GPS side of the 120 (and 8MB memory for maps) as a backup GPS unit on a boat. That explains the odd questions! icon_wink.gif Ok, now off to figure out what caching is!! LOL!!

Regards,

Birdman

quote:
Originally posted by Birdman (The real one):

Ok, I don't even know what "Geocaching" is, your all yappin about, but I'll be sure to read here and try to figure it out!! icon_biggrin.gif

Geocaching = Fun.

Put your zip code here and let the fun begin.

quote:
Anywho, now to the questions:

1. No one above has stated anything about the quality, distance, ease of use(or lack of any of those) about the GMRS side of the radio??? Nobody has tried or tested that out? That is the BETTER part of the radio. Let us know how it works!! icon_wink.gif

I am the only one in my area that has one yet so...

quote:
2. Can the unit use LiON batteries? And if so (I wouldn't see why not!) how long are they lasting compare to the NmH's and Alki's?

I'll let someone else answer that.

quote:
3. Is there any way to charge the batteries without having to remove them from the unit? An accessory charger of any kind....? I didn't notice any on Garmins Web site.

Don't think so.

quote:
4. Does the 110 model have vibrate mode? The Garmin web site says no to 110 and yes to 120. Is that true? If so, why did they only put vibrate on the 110, doesn't make sense.

I have the 120 so a 110 user can confirm that for ya.

quote:
5. Can they Scan both FRS AND GMRS channels? OR can they only scan FRS channels?

Yup

quote:
PS- As background, I'm looking to buy one 120 unit, and one 110 unit. I would like to use the GMRS radio side of them for skiing communication and I would like the use the GPS side of the 120 (and 8MB memory for maps) as a backup GPS unit on a boat. That explains the odd questions! icon_wink.gif Ok, now off to figure out what caching is!! LOL!!

Regards,

Birdman

I would strongly suggest getting two 120's. IMHO

Oh yeah, welcome and enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by HOTPHOOT:

Heres my question to you folks; I bought the Roads and Rec CD, downloaded some areas and put it to use. I was disapointed that my pointer was not on the roads even with the "lock on road" activated. can anyone help me or am I just asking to much of my unit?

It should work. The only reason I can think of that it might not work is that you're driving outside of an area you uploaded, or have that map area turned off. In either case, the unit would be using the basemap, which doesn't allow lock-on-road.

3608_1400.gif

Birdman (The real one) said:

quote:

I agree more with "Alpha" above, the unit is designed more to be a FRS/GMRS radio than a GPS unit. Think about it, it is a radio with GPS stuff added to it, NOT the other way around.
quote:

This is NOT what Alphawolf has been saying. If you read his series of posts, he maintains that the Rinos are competent GPS units with inferior FRS/GMRS radios tacked on. I just received a Rino 120 yesterday, and at first glance I have to agree. I haven't updated the Rino firmware or done any serious testing yet, but I will soon. I have a pair of ICOM 4008A FRS that I paid $70 each for, and a pair of Cobra FRS that cost $20 each new. Should be an interesting comparison.

Uplink,

GREAT!! Let us/me know how the comparisons go. On the skiing side I am trying to upgrade a pair of Morotola T6310's. They are GREAT FRS radios that include AM/FM and Weather radio. BUT, they do not have the new GMRS higher power channels. And as everyone knows, the frs channels are completely USLESS, especially for skiing. The old "Can ya here me now?" gets answered "What? I can't here ya?"

Oh, on the rechargable thing. I can't beleive Garmin does not allow for the batteries to be charged inside the unit??? That right out SUCKS!! That's rediculous!!! With a battery life of about 1 day (8 or 10 hours of use), that just does NOT make any sense!!! Why didn't they just add a plug for charging the thing? Hell, they could make more money selling the charger.... I don't understand that..... This may keep me from buying one. Oh well!!

Regards,

Birdman

[This message was edited by Birdman (The real one) on January 09, 2003 at 08:47 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Jack Russells:

Mr. Rose, did you say you got the 120 for $120 or was I just hoping I read that in one of your posts? icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to get one!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill

Jack Russells Online

http://www.jackrussells.com

sorry, the cheapest I have seen it for is 200 as of now, dont know if I said 120 or not. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Birdman (The real one):

Uplink,

GREAT!! Let us/me know how the comparisons go. On the skiing side I am trying to upgrade a pair of Morotola T6310's. They are GREAT FRS radios that include AM/FM and Weather radio. BUT, they do not have the new GMRS higher power channels. And as everyone knows, the frs channels are completely USLESS, especially for skiing. The old "Can ya here me now?" gets answered "What? I can't here ya?"

Oh, on the rechargable thing. I can't beleive Garmin does not allow for the batteries to be charged inside the unit??? That right out SUCKS!! That's rediculous!!! With a battery life of about 1 day (8 or 10 hours of use), that just does NOT make any sense!!! Why didn't they just add a plug for charging the thing? Hell, they could make more money selling the charger.... I don't understand that..... This may keep me from buying one. Oh well!!

Regards,

Birdman

[This message was edited by Birdman (The real one) on January 09, 2003 at 08:47 AM.]

thanks birdman, you mady me laugh. Thats funny how you are basing your GPSr purchase on whether they have a power cord hook up to charge the batteries in the unit. TIP: send an amazing 20 bucks on a seperate charger and some batteries to go with it-and you can forget you 8 hour battery life belief. You actually get 20 - 25 hours without using the radio. Or 20 or so hours with radio on alone. And using both is still atleast above ten bro. Get you story straight before you complain. icon_biggrin.gif

O yeah, they DO have a external power source for your car. and tell me when you find another GPSr like the meridian or Lowrance that can charge batteries in the unit... icon_eek.gif

A radio with GPS tacked on? Definitely not.

We have a "his and hers" 120 and 110. And they are very competent GPS units. Comparing them to our Garmin 12 is like a comparing a word processor to a typewriter.

As for the radio, marginal. But we bought them mainly because its easy to get separated when caching and hiking; with peer-to-peer positioning they are perfect for our needs.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

thanks birdman, you mady me laugh. Thats funny how you are basing your GPSr purchase on whether they have a power cord hook up to charge the batteries in the unit. TIP: send an amazing 20 bucks on a seperate charger and some batteries to go with it-and you can forget you 8 hour battery life belief. You actually get 20 - 25 hours without using the radio. Or 20 or so hours with radio on alone. And using both is still atleast above ten bro. Get you story straight before you complain. icon_biggrin.gif

O yeah, they DO have a external power source for your car. and tell me when you find another GPSr like the meridian or Lowrance that can charge batteries in the unit... icon_eek.gif

Mr Rose,

I think your looking at this wrong. I'm not complaining about the battery life. Actually, I'm amazed it getting 8 or 10 hours of life using BOTH radio and GPS (which I will be doing). That's NOT the problem or issue. The issue is why do I have to take of the battery cover, remove 3 loose batteries, place in a separate charger unit, and when charged (few hours later), reverse and put them back in. That is simply idiotic, PERIOD. I'm not comparing it to anything else. BUT, since you bring that up, just about EVERY SINGLE peice of electronci equipment you can buy today (cell phone, pda, laptop, handheld gps units, radios, scanners....on and on and on...) are rechargable WITHOUT having to OPEN the unit up. Let see, with my usage, I'd be opening and closeing the thing EVERY single day. That's 700 times a year I have open or close the back battery cover. Think it would be water proof after that?? Probably not. I haven't seen the unit in person, but most battery covers are not made like tanks, and they brake and wear out. So I'm simply saying why the hell would they not put a battery charger port on the things so you can charge it like everything else on the planet?? Just doen't make sense to me. Also, I don't care aobut the money, if you read my post, I stated the opposite, they could charge us more (I have NO PROBLEM with that) for a separate charger, as with most other devices do. It just don't make any sense. Hell, go to Garmin WEB site, even MOST of their other products offer a charger option and port. Why not this one??

I for one am not going to be fiddling with batteries and battery covers. Thats obsurd. Hell, poeple above are complaing "...the third battery comes loose if ya don't tape it in" already!! Wait until the open and close that little plastic battery cover a 100 times. The third battery being loose will be the least of their problems.

------------------------------ Leter to Garmin

Dear Garmin,

FIX IT!! Add a power charger port, and sell a charger and batter pack for it.

Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------

Regards,

Birdman

I'm considering buying Rinos for my wife and I, specifically for Geocaching. (I already own a GPS V, which stays in the car most of the time, and a GPS III+, which we cache with now.)

My question is this: has there been any talk of designating (informally, of course) a particular FRS channel as the "Geocachers' channel"?

Based on the number of times I've run into other Geocachers in the vicinity of caches, I think it would be pretty nice to know what channel to call on to reach other cachers, and what channel to listen on in case others are about.

The Georgia Geocachers Association meeting, coming up tomorrow, seems to have settled on channel 2 as their meeting place. I wondered if that was just random, or what.

Scott

PS - thanks to all for the great reviews ... I think I'm going to buy a pair of 120's.

...since I don't have any other frs radios to compare at this time. But the Rino 110 I just got seems to work very well for gpsing. I find that I can get a lock on WAAS in 10 or 15 minutes in my living room. Is that good?

Anyway - it took only an afternoon to become familiar with the functions and I used it to find my first cache the next morning. Easy to use!

Only complaints are that I find the "official" location for attaching the wrist strap to be less than desireable, and I had some difficulty figuring out how to turn on the backlight feature (should've looked closer at the "quick-start" pamphlet). The strap ain't that big a deal for me - the belt clip is one of the better designs I've seen. Very secure, and easy to use.

I bought the Rino for use in hunting and gathering (animals&berries) - but now it seems I'm hooked on this geocaching thing. I just came here to learn about GPS, and ended up with another hobby!

Anyhoo, the Rino looks to me like it will do everything I need it to. If the FRS is any good at all, I will probably buy a second one - but it will be a 120.

BTW - thanks to all who post here for the wealth of info!

'Trooper

Sorry, but I can't help but wonder what came first....ETrexer's post about Channel 22 GMRS or Garmin knowing of the problem....but I did notice that it only took 4-5 days for Garmin to "respond" to the issue. Off to update my software on my 120. Hey Garmin...any chance of using the 8MB for mpg3's? J/K icon_biggrin.gif

Version 2.30 review for the Rino 120 I have DID NOT SOLVE THE CHANNEL 22 code PROBLEM.

I am pissed off that they would post an update that does not do what it says. In fact the same exact thing happened, wierd stuff happens when you change code on channel 22.

Not sure whats up their butts, It does say version 2.30 on the Rino itself.

Can someone confirm this for me? icon_mad.gif

After messing around with it for half an hour, I tried something that made it work.

NOTE: To make the channel 22 codes work, first get the 2.30 update on it, then you MUST turn radio off then on again. After you turn the radio off and on, it will work flawlessly.

icon_biggrin.gif

Flir~Girl,

THAT'S EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! MP3!! PLEASE!! Actually, I was thinking add an AM/FM reciever like my Motorola T6310 frs radios, but MP3 would be even better!! But either would be GREAT!! Man, I'd pay $1000 for one with either MP3 or FM receiver! But, if they made it MP3, they'd need more than 8mb, more like 32 or 64 minumum. Acutally, I've wondered why they nailed it down to 8mb anyway?? Why didn't they use a sim type memory card in it? You could then select how much memory you wanted to have (read: spend as much as you wanted..), you could get a 64mb card and load all kind of maps into it.

Anyway, MP3 or FM would let me use it for skiing as a radio and frs/gmrs communication radio. And on the boat as a backup GPS. They'd sell millions of them!!

Garmin, you reading this? icon_wink.gif

PS-Don't forget to add the charger option as well. Email when the new version is done. Instead of calling it a Rino 120, call it a Birdman 120!! icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Birdman