Rino 110/120 Unit USERS - Review(s), Q&A

Cymbaline

Howdy.

If you own a Rino 110/120 and have a comment/question/answer/trick on the Rino 110/120, please put it here. Please keep this thread to comments/questions/answers/tricks on the Rino 110/120, and not other Garmin products. Please also to see the thread started by Alphawolf reagrding radio performance, but please share your findings here as well. Thanks.

If you are looking to buy a Rino 110/120, hopefully you'll get some of your questions answered.

To start, these are my my own submissions, plus answers from another user after I purchaed my unit, then my own.

Thought I'd condense the comments I posted into other topics one thread, and hopefully others will follow, good or bad, to assist other users.

Here's mine, in date order:

12/13/02:

New user warning!

After reading the forums and whatnot, I still went out and bought a Rino 110 today. Buddy of mine also bought one at the same time, different registers, same store.

Our one-day test:

Quite pleased with the location geometry with 1 (*ONE*, read: O-N-E) unit within 15 feet of the other. Closer than that and the other won't get more than one satillite to save the other's life. Once I turned off, we actually got within about 4 feet of published coordinates of a geocache, without WAAS. Pretty good, I think.

Radio coverage was actually decent. We tested this using my house as a waypoint. The hard part was that I have a rather large power substation about 1/2 mile as the crow flies from my house, which my buddy had to drive past. Even with that, we did a dead-reckoning (we both have nextel as well) of about a total of 3/4 to 1+ mile of reception. This is over a *generally* flat terrain, with powerstation inbetween.

Overall, quite pleased with the unit, except for my outstanding quesiton of "Yes, I'm here. Yes, I know where I've been. Please allow me to put in where I WANT to be!"

Dazzit.

12/13/02 - A user graciously tells me what's in the manual, as I haven't read it yet. RTFM!

I am assuming that you just want to put in a set of coords.

In that case it's a piece of cake. Turn the unit on. Push in on the click stick and hold it until a menu pops up. Highlight "Mark Waypoint" (it should allready be highlighted). Push in the click stick to select it. The waypoint screen comes up. Push up on the click stick to highlight the coords (they show where you currently are). Push in on the click stick. A menu pops up. change the coords to where you want to go. select OK. You can then click up to change the waypoint name and symbol, or click down to select Goto and the nav page comes up and leads you there.

12/16/02

Few days ago I posted my initial impression.

Semi-newbie alert!

Well, having used the Rino 110 a-farking-lot (original batteries I put in it when purchased Friday 12/13/02 are long-gone), I can now add the following:

- In the woods, the radio works great for about 1/2-3/4 mile over VERY hilly terrain. Radio works "decent" for about a 1 mile+ over semi-flat turrain.

- Location plots from neighboring Rino's are awesome. Just clicking the talk button updates RIGHT NOW.

- Mag North on this unit took me right were it was supposed to (evidently), based on a semi-half-baked inbetween waypoint. Was off by about 150 feet. Units fault? No. Mine. Should have set it to magnetic WHEN I should have set it to mag, not inbetween. TN + MN = gamble at your own risk, based on distance. Oh, the 150 foot differential was over a 3/10 mile basis. Know what you want to do beforehand, not during. Or, have a friend with an identical unit, you do one, they do the other. There's probably some newbie-factor faults in there, but i'm just saying... to error is magnetic, not human. Watch out for it.

- My issue with this unit is that it's either 1) mag north or 2) true north, no inbetweens and/or switching between the two mid-jaunt. No biggie, that's why I have a hand-held $20 compass. Just didn't know at the time.

- READ THE MANUAL. The Ref guide has a lot of stuff in it I missed when scanning it the first time. Save you a LOT of time and problems. For instance - did you know this unit has GAMES? Me neither, not til Sunday.

My overall review after a lot of intense hiking this weekend? GET THIS UNIT, or it's big brother the 120 (if you have the cash). Just have lots of batteries on hand - it uses 3 batteries, went through first set in 2 days, if you do a lot of hiking and/or use the radio a lot - I did a lot of both, hence fresh batteries died in about.. oh, 11? 12? hours of hiking. I didn't have WAAS running, and that shortens battery life even more. Normal usage (2-4 hours a day hiking, not a lot of radio/radio off use), you should get about 4-6 days use by my estimates, as long as you turn the unit off when not using.

Just my opinion.

That's it for now. I'll reply to this message on further observations, I hope you will too.

[This message was edited by Cymbaline on December 17, 2002 at 05:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by Cymbaline on December 17, 2002 at 05:51 PM.]

Has anyone else found that the microphone is not in the place mentioned in the manual? After realizing I had a low audio problem I did some testing and found the best transmit audio when speaking into the area of the speaker near the bottom of the radio. Maybe they changed the location due to waterproofing problems.

quote:
Originally posted by youngie:

Has anyone else found that the microphone is not in the place mentioned in the manual? After realizing I had a low audio problem I did some testing and found the best transmit audio when speaking into the area of the speaker near the bottom of the radio. Maybe they changed the location due to waterproofing problems.

Youngie, answered this question in the other forum, but just to make sure you see it:

Not in my case. Seems to be in the little hole right below the "V" button to the left of the click-stick. Don't see any other holes, unless they (Garmin) incorporated it into the speaker holes. Haven't had any problems with communications, lets put it that way - hold the unit about 2-6" in front of your mouth, talk, and the other party hears you. Works for me. Don't really care where the mike is.

Out.

Cymbaline

Well I got to go out and play for a short trip. I tried to find a cache in the snow but there was about 2' on the ground so it was hard to find, which I didn't icon_frown.gif.

Anyway, I found that the click stick is pretty easy to use with fleece gloves on.

Navigating through the different screens is pretty cool, either with the page button or click stick.

I was in heavy tree cover, lots of snow on the trees so it kind of acted like leaves, it was snowing lightly and was very cloudy but I kept a lock on the sats with out any problem.

I had some topo maps loaded in there and using the zoom button along with the click stick is very cool.

I did not use the radio cause I was by my self.

For as small as the screen is it really is not that bad to look at, while hiking. I would not use to navigate with in the car though. Definately a nice unit.

Thats all for now.

Yes it may be a little biger, but the upper display area has map info, and possibly the bottum area does too (some one check for sure?). Since these areas go accross the screen it leaves less room to view map data. Can some one confirm my suspicions? What about total map use ares?

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by djs_111:

Two quick questions:

1) Has any one bought a Rino from the Ham Radio Outlet, and are the price and service comparable with other stores?

2)Is the external antenna on the Rino going to make it that much easier for me to find caches than the internal antenna on my E-trex?

I have not bought the Rino from the Ham Radio Outlet, but if you find a store near by that sells GPS at lowest price guarantee, then you can get a rino 120 for 120 no shipping like I did. Just bring em the internet site proof.

And about the Quad Helix antenna, it does improve performance and seems to be at par with larger units like the Meridian Gold and the Garmin Gps76 s. The Etrexs' have a patch antenna, and gets best reception when held flat, while the rino and other units with Quad Helix, generally work better when upright. The Quad Helix, as seen in the Rino will in most cases get better reception then all Etrex models (under tree cover or other situations) and equal to other units as far as I under stand. Unless you are in a canyon with tree cover, or maybe around high buildings like in New York, the Rino will out perform the Etrex models.

Hope this answers your Q's icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by phantom4099:

Yes it may be a little biger, but the upper display area has map info, and possibly the bottum area does too (some one check for sure?). Since these areas go accross the screen it leaves less room to view map data. Can some one confirm my suspicions? What about total map use ares?

Well, I just got the Rino 120 last night. An early Christmas present. I am glad I didn't read this Forum before I did because I would have hesitated. I give it an all around thumbs up. The Radio on mine appears to work well. I do admit I tried it with a headset and it does sound clearer. As for your question of the screen being taken up in map mode. Only a very small bar at the very top of the screen is used in the map mode giving you battery level and 2 menu selections. The overall viewing size is kept quite viewable. I'm very pleased. icon_biggrin.gif Of course I'm moving up from a Magellan 2000. icon_razz.gif I hope this helps other to decide.

"The earth does not belong to us, wwe belong to the earth."

Chief Seattle

I also wanted to post in reference to another post I saw about using the GMRS. Yes I went thru the online registration to get a license to use it. It wasn't too brureaucratic(SP). I will be testing it (leagaly) soon icon_wink.gif

"The earth does not belong to us, wwe belong to the earth."

Chief Seattle

quote:
Originally posted by Cymbaline:

Ok, got one for the rest of you. Anybody bought the specialized cable that Garmin requires? If so, how much, and from where, and does it work with EasyGPS (which I don't have either. Remember, I'm new).

Comments appreciated.

I'm not sure what Garmin charges for it. My guess would be $35 retail since I've never seen a Garmin accessory for less. icon_wink.gif Shop around for the best price. It's worth having. The cable is included with the 120 and yes it does work with EasyGPS. EasyGPS is also a must have. It's free. Please note there was a recent version of EasyGPS that didn't recognize the Rinos. I believe the latest version has fixed that. (I had to temporarily go back to a previous release.) The cable also allows you to keep up with the latest Garmin software releases. The last release was version 2.10 on Nov 5, 2002 for both the 110 & 120.

Software update warning: Unlike any other other Garmin product software updates I've done, the version 2.10 cleared out my waypoints and maybe some settings. Use Garmin map software or EasyGPS to backup data before updating.

One of the things that has concerned me about the Rino is that it uses 3 AA cells. I typically use NiMH rechargeables, and all the chargers I have charge them in pairs. After using a set, I'd be left with one extra cell to charge. Does anybody use NiMH with their Rino, and how do you handle this?

-- Mitch

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

...I typically use NiMH rechargeables, and all the chargers I have charge them in pairs....

-- Mitch

Ditto Peter's comment. Both of my chargers will charge 1-4 cells.

I have two Rino's with backup batteries for both. 2 X 3 X 2 = 12. Check out this NiMH deal. I did.

BTW: Does anyone know of a charger that will charge 1 to 8 NiMH or NiCd cells. Preferably a fast charger.

[This message was edited by st_richardson on December 22, 2002 at 09:22 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BusBoy:

get the lanyard attached? I tried to pull the loop through the two holes in the bottom but I couldn't get the back cover to seal tightly. Searched through the "read me first" guide and the manual, but no luck.

Just try one hole. Works for me.

You could also try the clip screw for the battery cover.

I've had Rino 120s for about a week now and here are my thunks...

Batteries: As was my experience with the MAP 76, the Rino 120 chews up and spits out NiMH batteries but does well with alkaline batteries. I used up a set of alkalines in about five hours of field use plus several hours of learning the menus and fiddling.

Display: Contrast is good. Has a knack for displaying all the wrong feature details at various scales (with TOPO). I'm used to using the MAP 76, which does a much better job of rendering.

Radio: I live in the desert so trees aren't an issue. The mics worked fine. In grass covered hills (big hills) the FRS reception with line of sight was 1+ miles. Once separated by the crest of a hill, even as little as ten feet of crest, the reception went to pot. Reception ~0.5 miles in valley bottoms where meadering valley walls block line of sight. In close, rocky terrain the radio worked fine even well out of line of sight. There were low clouds which may have helped. I haven't tried the upper channels yet.

Accuracy: Side by side comparisons with the MAP 76 were spot on. Previously I had checked my MAP 76 against one of those superduper, known to the nearest nano-whatever, geodetic survey spikes and it was accurate to the last significant digit measured by the Garmin. The rino took a little longer to lock.

Waypoint marking and sending: Marking waypoints is a breeze. The pop-up keyboard is great. All future firmware releases for all of Garmin's units should have this feature. Sending waypoints is also easy but not intuitive. If I hadn't been a proper nerd and read the whole manual before starting I don't think I would have found the function for a while.

Menus: The default menu page line up was not to my liking. The fact that I am allowed to restructure the menu is. Once I re-did the menus I was very pleased. Again there are a couple items hidden in the options menus that I think should be page buttons (like send location for waypoints).

PC interface. Loading maps from MapSource was simple but took a very long time. I haven't loaded the latest MapSource version yet so maybe it will go faster when I do. Loading took at least four times as long with the rino as with the MAP 76. I also ship data between the rino and Arc/View using the DNR-Garmin interface. All worked well there.

Belt clip: Works well, didn't catch on too much. Haven't tried in heavy scrub yet.

Belt pack: I bought one of those "Ultimate GPS" cases for it. It isn't practical at all for using the rino in the field. Good for carrying it and batteries on the way to the field, I guess.

That whole contact list, position sending thing: Works as advertised. This is the main reason I bought the rinos and it works as advertised. The first time I had them out, the goto line always showed between me and the other person and it was annoying because it blocked the map view. It wasn't until we met up again that I realized that I had pushed something and that this line wasn't a default "feature". Turning off the contact list from the map display and adding the contact list page to the page rotation right after the map page worked well for me. It freed up more screen for seeing the map.

Dan

I just noticed that Garmin has released version 2.20. This update has three improvements over 2.10.

Allow user to disable power-on, power-off, and volume beeps by turning message beeps off.

Allow user to adjust microphone sensitivity for internal and headset microphones. Microphone adjustments may be found by going to the Radio Setup page, selecting the Menu, and selecting Set Sensitivity.

Improved audio in headset when transmitting with VOX.

I haven't had a chance to try out any of it yet, but hopefully this will take care of any mic problems noted in the past. I also like the idea of not having that beep when you turn it on, that was really annoying when you are hunting.

Finally got fed up with local stores and just ordered the cable straight from garmin.

If I had it to do over again, I know think I would have gone ahead and spent the $250 on the Rino 120 instead of the 110.

Rino @ $170, datacable $38 + $6 shipping from garmin = $214. Spending the extra $36 would have gotten me 8MB RAM, instead of just 1MB.

So if you're thinking about either of these units, put that into consideration - the datacable comes with the 120, does not with the 110. Food for thought.

I've found that ignoring the direction arrow and paying closer attention to the Lat/Long coords on the navigation screen has been more successful when closing in proximity to a location. Standing still a minute narrows it down even more.

Battery life: Went on a 6-hour cache/explore-the-park expidition this past saturday, battery started at 3 bars but moved to 2 bars about 30 minutes into it. Lasted all through that hunt with a good amount of radio use and WAAS being turned on and off at times. Batteries finally died while driving to another cache in a different park. Works for me. Got a good deal on Duracell's, so that's what I'm using right now.

I haven't been able to find fault with this unit yet. Yeah, I threw it about 10 feet once when I misstepped on a hill and the shock of landing killed the unit, but it powered right back on and worked as if nothing happened.

A note about the firmware - as st_richardson said, backup your stuff first. A friend of a friend had his garmin (not sure what model) had the update fail, restarted the update, and it fried the unit. Had to send it in for fix/replacement. Of course, lost all waypoint info to boot.

-Cymbaline

Very Pleased Rino user

Glad to hear someone else had the same situation with dropping their unit. Like yours, mine also was kind enough to power back on (Rino 120).icon_eek.gif Though, I don't think I'll be getting that missed heartbeat back. Oh well. The unit successfully survived the unintented "test".

Accuracy has been great with this unit. So far, we've been able to locate several caches with ease. Moderate canopy has not been much of an issue. Though, that might change come warmer weather. icon_cool.gif

Decided to see what my unit could withstand shock-wise. I threw it again today on purpose - four times. Kinda wondered as to what would happen. Results excellent. Used known location to test bearings as well as my hand-held compass. I was on relatively level ground, so YMMV.

Tosses:

1. Low lateral toss about 6-8 feet. Easy toss. Unit stayed on.

2. Picked up, let unit get its bearings. Yup, still working sound. Then I tossed in a rough 35 degree-arc 15-18 feet away.

3. Unit out cold. Turned it on. It gathered it's senses, took a minute. Yep, working fine. Ok.. on to last toss.

4. Quick-side-threw (mimicking a fall) unit about 25-30 feet. Unit glances off tree.

Final: Unit out cold. Turn it on, hey it works! Turn to satillite page, it's trying to hook up with 5 sat's. Wait another 90-120 seconds, it's got 21 ft accuracy w/o WAAS. Enter destination waypoint, wait 30 seconds, it's pointing right at it - about 75 feet away. My eyes say it has approximately the right distance, and my hand-held compass says it has the right bearing.

Works for me. Don't try this on purpose like I did, unless you're an idiot, like me.

Bottom line: Uh.. how does one break this thing? Pretty well bulletproof, as best I can tell. I'm not dropping it off a cliff, though.

Did I mention I found a couple of caches today AFTER this test?

flir~girl, thanks for your post. Wish I would have read it before I tried this. I don't think you have to worry about anything, unless your name is Wyle E. Coyote.

I will be posting a long review soon, just need more testing on my RINO 120. I feel lucky: They said that in later production units the click stick will be longer, and I am happy to say I got one of those. My friends is shorter then mine and I feel bad for him. Also, I have used the radio many times with many other brands. It works great. The mic sensitivity option seemed to make it even better! the speaker on the Rino can go very loud and is actually clear. The Rino has the same range as my other FRS radios and sounds just as good. In some radios the RINO sounds a little unclear but not due to fuzz, just a little off but is still understandable. I will provide furthur testing soon. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

I will be posting a long review soon, just need more testing on my RINO 120. I feel lucky: They said that in later production units the click stick will be longer, and I am happy to say I got one of those. My friends is shorter then mine and I feel bad for him. Also, I have used the radio many times with many other brands. It works great. The mic sensitivity option seemed to make it even better! the speaker on the Rino can go very loud and is actually clear. The Rino has the same range as my other FRS radios and sounds just as good. In some radios the RINO sounds a little unclear but not due to fuzz, just a little off but is still understandable. I will provide furthur testing soon. icon_wink.gif

Mr. Rose:

My "click-stick" seems to be slightly longer than what one would find in an IBM laptop. Do I have the longer or the shorter one? If I have the "shorter" one, I wouldn't want the

longer" one. I've finally learned how to to move it "north/south" without going "east/west" or selecting a menu.

In my case, making it longer is gonna be a pain in the arse and/or require an increase in my dexterity.

Well, the longer click stick simply makes it that much easier to move it with out accidentely pressing it in.

Here is a description from www.gpsinformation.net

"""The RINO uses the same sort of "click stick" (rocker/push) switch for most functions as is used in the eTrex LEGEND/VISTA line. However, the switch "feels" much more positive in operation. The click stick protrudes on about 1/16 inch beyond the case and as a result it is difficult (for me) not to PRESS the click stick when you really meant to PUSH Right/Left/Up/Down. I finally figured out that using my fingernail to make sideways motions of the "click stick" rocker and my finger to press down was the ticket (for me). Note: Garmin says that later production models will have a click stick with a longer post to correct this problem."""

As you can see, these guys are dedicated to reviewing GPSr's and they say what I say, having it a little higher lets you get more leverage and friction to push it rather then press it.

Not trying to make people mad, just letting you all know that GARMIN is making attempts to improve the various problems of the RINOS

icon_rolleyes.gif

They probebly have got a lot of emails about the problems, but you have to give em credit for trying, and my RINO, is perfect for me with the improvisions that GARMIN has already made

I would like to see an option so you can choose to have RADIO or GPS or both on at startup so I dont have to turn radio off everytime I turn it on because I dont use it while geocaching and stuff.

But maybe we have different ideas of "great unit. icon_wink.gif"

Uh. Ok. This is my 2nd GPS unit (first was not used for geocaching).

As far as I'm concerned, this unit passes every test I've thrown at it. Yeah, having the option of "turn on this or that" would be nice, but it only takes about 5 seconds to correct that. Yes, it would be nice if the radio worked better. Big deal. It's FRS. If you wanna talk (AND drain the battery), just get a nextel to partner with it, no worries.

I'd like to see (and this can't/won't happen soon) improvements in GPS geometry. I bought this unit for GPS - the radio is an added bonus, and I've I have to leave whomever for a radius of a mile or better, that means we're BOTH bushwacking, or something is terribly wrong. Even with GMRS radio, same thing.

Alphawolf, I'm sorry if the radio doesn't sound good to you or has a lack of distance. Buy a nextel or cellphone or other long-distance radio to COMPANION the unit if you're so extant on radio distance. You, of all people, should know better.

Folx, This is a GPS unit WITH FRS capabilities - and with GMRS capabilities in the states, it's NOT a radio with "some" GPS capabilities.

I bought my unit for GPS reasons only, not to talk on the radio.

Do I use the FRS? Sure. Does it work? Yeah, within reason (especially line-of-sight; FRS doesn't deal well with that). Do I have alternative means of communication if need be? Yep, cell phone and nextel.

But is it a unit that can find locations? Bet your arse.

THAT'S what I'm talking about. This is a GPS forum, right? Not a short-wave radio forum. Or a usability forum. We're talking a GPS unit here, folx, not a Porche. And in GPS way, I've seen NO compalints about it's performance from ANYBODY.

Grr... Off soapbox now. Sorry, this was a vent a long time coming.

Cy... I agree, I was saying all that same stuff, I also bought the RINO for its excellent GPS features regardless of the radio. But what what Alpha is saying is just his experience with the RINOs' and how Garmin in HIS opinion could have made the radios better or more like other more exspensive FRS radios. Dont take it personal because someone doesn't like the RINO as much as you do. You and me both love the RINO even if the radio was not there. And about the radio off feature. I know it does not take time to turn it off EVERY TIME, but as easily as it is to do that, its just as easy to make a simple option to allow the radio to remain turned off, if the unit is turned off.

Have a fun NEW YEARS icon_biggrin.gif

Hi all - first post here!

I learned about geocaching a few months ago, and have since yearned of having my own GPSr. At the time, I had a few FRS radios, but none of them had the CTCSS codes, so I couldn't converse with my airsoft teammates if they used them. Instead of just getting another radio, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get a radio with a GPSr built in. The Rino 120 was my choice.

I got it a little less than a month ago, and it's all I've ever hoped it would be. It seems to be very durable, and has survived many hours of airsoft skirmishes. The radio was a little muffled, but after the firmware update and increasing the mic sensitivity, it sounds just the same as my Motorola FR50s.

The GPS functions are way cool! After about an hour of reading the manual and messing around with it, I was off to find my first cache. I found it! The bearing pointer and built in map lead me right to it.

I've not had any experience with any other GPSr, but the Rino 120 fits my needs perfectly.

I was also suprised how fast it picks of WAAS corections and I like when your navigating a track, it makes the pointer bend in half like a left turn or right turn then as you get closer it turns into a straight arrow left meaning you turn here. Just some little innovations that stand out in my opinion. I thing Garmin will have alot of software realeases early on to make it even better icon_smile.gif. O and I am addicted to the game, its so simple yet SOOO much fun. Im talking about "beast hunt" I am gettin good at it, I win every time on trainee, every other time on beginner, and once every 5 times on expert. Have fun icon_biggrin.gif

My husband and I are new at this game, but from our couple days of trial...and error, we can say the following: we love them! We use the 120 in the car to track exits on the highway, etc...we use both while cache-ing. We found accuracy to be w/in feet on flat land and clear sky. But, the accuracy was decreased in mixed terrain. We didnt turn off one unit though, so we will try it next time. Question: what mapping software is recommended for use in the 110...in the 120? Thanks!

The 110 CAN download points of interest from GARMIN's points of interest CD. And the 120 can take maps from all of Garmins products. I have topo and metro guide and this allows me to put one region of metroguide(roads,POI's and stuff) and 2 or 3 regions of Topo which is more then adequate for hiking, caching, backpacking. Read the manual a lil' it might answer some questions. icon_razz.gif

(Gasp)..no...you can't seriously mean to READ the book.

Ok, testimonial of a software update (2.10 to 2.20). Really got myself confused when doing this, but it has a happy ending. Looked at the Garmin website, downloaded the software update, and then tried to update the unit. When that didn't work, got even more confused by returing to the website and reading something about the unit needed to be Simulator mode. Eh?!?

After switching to a different computer, thus a different (and working) serial port, it worked flawlessly. I suspect the Simulator instruction maybe a wee bit out of date. But, on an even brighter note, I didn't lose any of my waypoint information. Woohoo. icon_biggrin.gif

I just recieve my cable from Pc-mobile to connect my rino to my ipaq. Unfortunatly the plug for the rino is not the right size. The plug on the cable is the Garmin R type, but it is too large for the hole on the rino. I have contacted Pc-mobile about this and will post the results here. You may want to wait before buying any cables until you are sure it is the right one.

If anyone has more info I would appreciate the help.

quote:

...what what Alpha is saying is just his experience with the RINOs' and how Garmin in HIS opinion could have made the radios better or more like other more exspensive FRS radios. Dont take it personal because someone doesn't like the RINO as much as you do. You and me both love the RINO even if the radio was not there.

I'm not taking it personal by any means. I'm looking at it in a different perspective.

To have the capabilities of a higher-end standalone FRS unit, the Rino would be well into the $250-450 range. For it's *price*, however, it's danged near a Garmin V AND an "adequate" FRS receiver - and THAT is the point I think Mr. Alphawolf is overlooking. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. Dunno what he was looking for for $170, but....

quote:
And about the radio off feature. I know it does not take time to turn it off EVERY TIME, but as easily as it is to do that, its just as easy to make a simple option to allow the radio to remain turned off, if the unit is turned off.

I agree with you there. I'd like to see a "restore last status on/off" feature for both GPS and the radio, myself. But for $170? I can punch a few buttons for now. Personally, I tend to turn the GPS off more than the radio.

quote:
Originally posted by niskibum:

I just recieve my cable from Pc-mobile to connect my rino to my ipaq. Unfortunatly the plug for the rino is not the right size. The plug on the cable is the Garmin R type, but it is too large for the hole on the rino. I have contacted Pc-mobile about this and will post the results here. You may want to wait before buying any cables until you are sure it is the right one.

If anyone has more info I would appreciate the help.

I'm assuming you have a Rino 110, since the cable comes with the 120.

The cable for the Rino(s) are unique. Why? Beats me, but it is. No other mfrgrd cable will work, but supposing you could make one.

I searched around for a few days and found out that NOBODY (retail/online) actually *had* inventory of either of the two Rino cables (PC only, PC+cig lighter). So, I called Garmin direct and ordered mine two days before Xmas (ordered PC datacable only). Cost me something like $38 + $6 shipping. Got it today, about to hook it up.

if you were planning on getting a cable, you might as well of gotten the 120

150(rino 110, 1 mb) + 40(cable,) = 190

220(rino 120, cable, basemap, exit info, 8 mb)

so for about 30 more bucks assuming you buy the cable seperate of 110, you get basemap, exit info and 8 more mb's.

Do you agree? icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a 120, but the serial cable is not the one I bought. I bought one connect to my Ipaq. I did get a response from Pc-mobile, here it is.

"We have not seen a Rhino but from information we see from Garmin site

it does not use the round plug as others so the Garmin R cable will not

fit. We do not plan to make one for Rhino.

You can send everything back to us and we will refund you once we have

reveived it."

I am thinking about keeping the cable and trying to locate the correct plug to make it myself or just ordering one for my Legend instead.

quote:

if you were planning on getting a cable, you might as well of gotten the 120

150(rino 110, 1 mb) + 40(cable,) = 190

220(rino 120, cable, basemap, exit info, 8 mb)

so for about 30 more bucks assuming you buy the cable seperate of 110, you get basemap, exit info and 8 more mb's.

Do you agree? icon_rolleyes.gif

Since a cable is required to update software as well download waypoints from programs such as EasyGPS, it's a good idea to figure that cost into one's GPS purchase.

Hello all. I have been reading all of this stuff about the RINO's and enjoyed it all. I bought a pair of 120's and absolutely love them. If Garmin keeps posting updates on their web site soon they will be flawless. I think that they are making an effort to make the FRS better. As far as accuracy goes it has been putting me to within a few feet each time.

Heres my question to you folks; I bought the Roads and Rec CD, downloaded some areas and put it to use. I was disapointed that my pointer was not on the roads even with the "lock on road" activated. can anyone help me or am I just asking to much of my unit?

HOTPHOOT

quote:

Heres my question to you folks; I bought the Roads and Rec CD, downloaded some areas and put it to use. I was disapointed that my pointer was not on the roads even with the "lock on road" activated. can anyone help me or am I just asking to much of my unit?

HOTPHOOT

My guess on that would be that R&R does not support any type of auto routing. Maybe it will only work with say the Metroguide.