MeriPlat-Setting North Reference

CheesyD

My MeriPlat is acting strangely... or I'm doing something wrong. When I do a GOTO on a waypoint and then check the compass screen, the sun/moon indicator is often on the opposite side it should be. I have the North Reference set to "Magnetic". If I then set the North Reference to "True" or "Mils Magnetic" and then reset it back to "Magnetic", the sun/moon indicator will then move to the proper position. I'm having to go through this nearly every time (sometimes several times) I power on the unit while hiking and it's extremely frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? Why doesn't the unit "know" where the dadgum sun is everytime I power on?

Also, I thought these things were supposed to retain the latest "GOTO" waypoint when powered off? I'm having to re-do the "GOTO" on my current waypoint destination whenever I power off. Which of course then sends me spiraling into the North Reference quagmire outlined above. If this is as good as these things work I'll go back to paper map and compass.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CheesyD

"Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall inherit the earth."

--Monty Python's The Life of Brian

The waypoint direction is indicated by the waypoint icon on the outside of the compass dial. By lining the compass needle up with the waypoint icon I know I'm heading toward the waypoint. But the sun's position should not be affected by this. The problem I'm experiencing shows the sun icon on the opposite side of where it should be and the waypoint icon is shown in the opposite direction of where it really is.

CheesyD

"Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall inherit the earth."

--Monty Python's The Life of Brian