Garmin 2.2 for V

Anybody tried the update to version 2.20 on their Garmin V yet? 2.20

Changes made from version 2.08 to 2.20:

Improved auto-route calculation process when transiting from poor to good satellite reception.

Reset map zoom levels to correct a problem that was preventing areas like parks and lakes from being displayed on the map.

Corrected auto zoom behavior while navigating a TracBack route.

Corrected intermittent problem that would caused the GPS V to lockup during an off-route recalculation.

Disable 'lock on road' feature when navigating a TracBack.

Added 'units' selection for distance to the Waypoint Projection page.

Fixed auto zoom problem that was observed when doing direct gotos and manual routes.

Navigation state changes made without a fix will now be preserved between power cycles.

Improved turn-arrow display when multiple turns are in view.

Added support for adding and removing via points.

Added 'Follow Roads' support to manual routes.

Added the ability to display the next turn 'Turn Review' page by using the UP and DOWN cursor keys during autoroute navigation.

Added support for selecting interstate names found in more that one state when searching for interstate exits. ( ex. I-470 in KS or MO )

Added 'Shutdown On Arrival' to the 'Guidance' Setup Tab page.

Added EOV Hungarian Grid and South African Grid support.

Correct reported calculator page problems.

Added 'Memory Race' Game.

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

Updated both my GPS V units, one right after the other.

Version 2.20 is simular to 2.12beta with some fixes, id imagine.

Would be neat if the GPS V used some kind of plug-in memory like the Meridian pictured to the left. Sony Memory stick probably would work for a small unit like the GPS V.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My Home Page about what is GPS

My biggest complaint so far with 2.20 is that the unit now no longer turns Lock on Roads to "OFF" when switching from road to offroad navigation. I noticed this yesterday when I couldn't close the distance on a cache not far off a road (because my position was snapping to the nearby road). This behavior was present in earlier releases of the firmware, and has now returned.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Would be neat if the GPS V used some kind of plug-in memory

I am excited to see where Garmin goes with the V next. It's been how long since it's release now? Almost 2 years I think? It is still one of the best selling receivers we carry at the store where I work (and we carry about 20 different models.) We pretty much sell every one we can get. This can't be said for any other model we carry, by either of the 2 major manufacturers. That is pretty amazing for a piece of electronics that is nearly 2 years old now! So.....What will they do next? The idea of expandable memory is very intriquing indeed. That would make the V almost perfect in my book. You just know they (Garmin) are aware of the demand for such a feature. We just hope they will accomodate it in future models. The previous attempts, with the e-map and Street Pilot series just make people mad when they realize they have to buy Garmin's proprietary memory at ridiculous prices. I (as a salesman) just can't help thinking it would really boost sales of any great unit like the V, for customers to know they can shop for a standard format in memory and get the best price possible, instead of having to be limited to the obscenely expensive format Garmin previously used. Garmin.....Are you listening???

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

My biggest complaint so far with 2.20 is that the unit now no longer turns Lock on Roads to "OFF" when switching from road to offroad navigation. I noticed this yesterday when I couldn't close the distance on a cache not far off a road (because my position was snapping to the nearby road). This behavior was present in earlier releases of the firmware, and has now returned.

Gotta be an oversight on the part of Garmin firmware writers. Its just common sense to turn off "lock-on-road" when navigating offroad.

Otherwise I gave 2.20 a good workout this weekend and it performed just great.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Hummm I updated to the 2.2 and went caching sunday with no problems. No problems with off road near the road as I had a few in DC that were right close to teh road as well as one in Falls Church that was UNDER the interstate.

Maybe you missed a setting or something ?

-Robert

quote:
Originally posted by RobAGD:

Possibly, but I doubt it. I'm getting some very random behavior in this regard since the upgrade. About 1 in 3 times (I'd estimate), it is failing to unlock from roads after selecting offroad navigation. I'm trying to figure out a set of steps that leads to 100% reproduction.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Here's the changes from the BETA to the release verions:

Changes Made From Versions 2.12 beta to 2.20:

1. Improved auto-route calculation process when transiting from

poor to good satellite reception.

2. Reset map zoom levels to correct a problem that was preventing areas

like parks and lakes from being displayed on the map.

3. Corrected auto zoom behavior while navigating a TracBack route.

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:
Originally posted by RobAGD:

Possibly, but I doubt it. I'm getting some very random behavior in this regard since the upgrade. About 1 in 3 times (I'd estimate), it is failing to unlock from roads after selecting offroad navigation. I'm trying to figure out a set of steps that leads to 100% reproduction.

http://geocachingwa.org

I would do a reset. I had a Vista which was acting very screwy once after updating the firmware. Resetting it did the trick. I forget the key combination for the GPSV for resetting but it just might be worth trying.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Mines doing it too...after installation of 2.20 it now likes to stay locked on roads even after an offroad route is entered.

Also, seems like it takes even more "on button press's" ot get up to high brightness after a turn on? I might go back to the beta 2.12.

Todd

I was out geocaching with my partner. We both updated our GPS V receivers to the 2.2 version.

I was using the lovely feature of auto-routing to get us as close as possible to the cache location. As I was driving along toward a cache, I decided not to take the road the GPS was sending me on because I would have to make a left across a busy highway and there was no light there.

Usually this is NOT a problem because my GPS will recalculate my route after a missed turn (a very nice feature!!). However, after some crunching, my V beeped at me and showed me a dialog box "Recalculation error." I pressed enter and found that the V had just stopped calculating. I had to find my waypoint (not that hard, but irritating) and point to it again and wait for the calculation.

This has happened at least one other time since the upgrade. Before the upgrade, I had never seen that dialog before.

Cheval

To finish is to win. www.aerc.org

Thanks for the info. I have downloaded 2.08-my original starting point. I did notice that the routing on my gps was calculating at only the main roads. Perhaps I uploaded the wrong set of maps. All has been corrected now. I will wait and see what happens in the next few days.

Just reloaded garmin V back to 2.08. Installed routable maps from city select and downloaded new waypoints. So, that's all set. When I use mapsource to route from point A to Point B, it routes from my door step to the final destination. But when I route using only the gps it routes from the nearest main road (about .25 miles away) to the final point. Is this common?

Just a note to all who offered suggestions. The solution has been found. When uploading maps from mapsource into garmin V make sure that the small box is checked which allows for auto-routing. This box appears at the very bottom of the pop-up meno when saving to the unit.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheval:

... However, after some crunching, my V beeped at me and showed me a dialog box "Recalculation error." I pressed enter and found that the V had just stopped calculating. I had to find my waypoint (not that hard, but irritating) and point to it again and wait for the calculation.

I've had this happen twice now. Never happened previously. Also had the V shut itself off for no apparent reason.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

If you are using rechargables and your GPS is shutting off. You need to wrap your batteries with a small piece of clear packaging tape, so that they will not rattle in your GPS, causing premature shut-offs. When you are recharging these batteries, they need open air, so as not to over-heat.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Originally posted by Cheval:

However, after some crunching, my V beeped at me and showed me a dialog box "Recalculation error."

I actually think this is a fix of an older problem. I used to notice the GPSV would start routing with some whacky quirks after going off corse. Left would be Right. Right would be Left. It would seem to forget it was calculating a route, etc.

Now the unit flashes "Routing Error" and alerts you it has screwed up and needs help.

I find this much more desirable than having it give me bad information. At least I can reset the unit and have it reroute.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com