How do you get thousandths of a minute?

Guest dmdeitz

Guest dmdeitz

I am new to geocaching and got a Magellan GPS 310 to help us find our first cache. But it only shows lat and long down to hundredths of a minute (like 40 deg 30.23 min). But all the caches and people comments are listed as 40 deg 30.234 min. Which models offer that resolution? My GPS is set to degreees / min, NOT deg, min, sec.) Amazingly, I called a couple gps dealers on the web about this and neither even knew of the sport of caching, let alone features of the products they sell.

Guest 2Hearts

Have you looked in the setup for the GPS? I am not sure if the 310 does it, but we have a 315 and we were able to change that in the setup.

I think ours was under Setup - Coordinate System - Lat/Lon

Guest dmdeitz

the 310 lets you change from deg, min (dd mm.mm) to deg, min, sec (dd mm.ss). BUt in boith cases, there are only 2 digits to the right of the decimal point (and in deg,min you can go to .99, where in the deg, min, sec mode, you can only go to .59).

I haven;'t been able to get a 3rd digit to show up to the right of the decimal

You use a 315 and it has 3 numbers to the right of the decimal?

Guest YardBoy

I, too, bought the inexpensive 310, only to discover its limit of 2 decimal places. It's amazing that I had to speak with SEVERAL dealers to clarify. I upgraded to eTrex GPS, the yellow beauty, and have successfully visited 40+ caches.