EASYGPS

Guest mikemtn

Anybody know why I'm having a problem with File not found (EASYGP~1.EXE)every time I try to download Waypoints or open up Waypoint files?? Seems the only way I can use this program is to download it every time I use it. I'm pretty computer illiterate (stupid) so It's something simple I'm missing.

ow right click the item you just ran and pick the item that says Create Shortcut. Answer Yes to the prompt. Now you will have a working shortcut on your Windows desktop. Um,,, you are using Windows, right? If not, nevermind...

Post again if you need more help.

Guest Choberiba

Good advice, and it's a safe bet that mikemtn is using some flavor of Windows since that's one of the requirements.

If he were using an emulator, I'm sure it would have been mentioned.

I got it. Don't really know what I was doing wrong. I didn't have a shortcut so guess I didn't have the program downloaded completely. I did another download and saved it to desktop which created an icon and now It works. If in doubt, start over I guess. Thanks for the replies. Mike

Guest Chris Juricich

And I gotta say that easyGPS is a helluva lot of fun-- I've loaded up perhaps 50-70 cache locations as waypoints on my Map 76 for various areas I travel to or in my area. Santa Cruz, Sacramento, etc! I like especially that I can rename the GCxxxx naming convention so that they're most easily recognizable when I print out the cache-page info for them.

Great system!

Thank god we still have that PC in the office!

I just downloaded every Waypoint in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisana anticipating traveling through all or most of these states working in the next couple of weeks. Found a 3 1/2 inch disk to copy them to and now can't find the 3 1/2 external drive for my personal confuser. Guess I'll have to learn to burn CD's someday, know where that drive is, just never got the ambition to try it. Mike

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

I got it. Don't really know what I was doing wrong. I didn't have a shortcut so guess I didn't have the program downloaded completely. I did another download and saved it to desktop which created an icon and now It works. If in doubt, start over I guess. Thanks for the replies. Mike

What was possibly happening to you is that you originally downloaded the file and "opened from current location" which would have been one of the "Temporary Internet Files" folders.... now you've downloaded to the desktop the file isn't being ditched as part of the normal everyday housekeeping that IE/Netscape does.

Guest Choberiba

Is there anyway to combine EasyGPS files so that more than 25 geocache waypoints are shown/saved at a time.

I'm starting to have quite the collection of very small "loc" files.

Guest JasonW

Not exactly combining them, but if you upload them to your GPS, then download the contents of your GPS you end up with all the points - simple matter to remove the non-Geocaching waypoints (if you want to of course)

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Is there anyway to combine EasyGPS files so that more than 25 geocache waypoints are shown/saved at a time.

If you open a command prompt window on your PC, you can enter a command such as "copy 1.loc+2.loc+3.loc all.loc" and it will combine the files (in this case 1.loc, 2.loc and 3.loc) into one file (in this case named all.loc). I don't believe that this works with files saved from EasyGPS, only with those files downloaded directly from the web site (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the downloaded files are essentially text files parsed by EasyGPS, while files saved by EasyGPS are binary files).

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

29H/98F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Yop, drag/drop is great! Copy/paste would be cool too, but I'd rather see the ability to change the lat/lon display from hh.hhhh to hh.mm sss or hh.mm.mmm But it's so wonderful and FREE! that I don't dare complain :^)

Guest mikemtn

After I got about everything I had to do figured out I went to the Easygps web site and looked at the manual. It's pretty good and would have saved me some misery, but......if all else fails........then the manual