WAAS activated

icon_smile.gifWAAS activated

The GPS Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) is now in operation.

The FAA threw the switch to activate WAAS at 12:01 a.m. July 10. The system is designed to improve GPS accuracy without the user buying special equipment or paying additional money.

First proposed in 1995, activation of WAAS took longer and was more expensive than originally forecast, admits FAA Administrator Marion Blakey.

“But we really are talking about rocket science here,” she said. “We were doing things that had never been done before. The general aviation community will be the first to benefit from this system.”

WAAS sensors receive signals broadcast by Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites, correct any errors, and rebroadcast corrected signals to WAAS-enabled aircraft receivers. This enhances the integrity, accuracy, reliability, and safety of the already accurate GPS signal.

According to manufacturers of GPS devices, using WAAS gives the signal a 95% accuracy within 10 feet of the target.

It has been described by some in the industry as giving ILS-like capability to GPS approaches.

Taken from General Aviation News, Issue #16, 2003

www.GeneralAviationNews.com

General Aviation News

But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

hummm ... kinda makes me wonder what all my WAAS locks were prior to the 10th..

WAAS is actually a plot by the battery makers to make us all buy more...

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

quote:
Originally posted by Raouljan:

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00244% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

What's different now is that the Fat Lady sang.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
Originally posted by Raouljan:

What's different now is that the Fat Lady sang.

Correct. This was the official activation date ending the testing period and placing the system into official service.

Cheers!

TL