Web Site Hosting....

Hey Folks,

First let me appologize if this is in the wrong category, I wasn't sure were to put it. Second this isn't really GPS software related however I feel it was a valid question and would like some opinions..... icon_wink.gif

I have seen some great looking personal web sites through various posts and replies here at Geocaching.com, and I am interested in who /what people use for their web hosting?

Are their any "decent" free web hosting services, other than yahoo and angelfire? Can anyone reccommend any "low cost" web hosting services?

I really like the idea of developing a personal web site to share all of my geocaching adventures, and after seeing some of the stuff people have come up with, I thought people here might be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

KJT

Team SCFD

You might check and see if our ISP has allocated a section for you to setup a web site. Charter allows us to use up to 25Meg for a personal web site. One of these days, I'm going to set one up - just as soon as I find the time.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I use Delaware.net for my hosting. I also host off my personal server but I am still on dial up so its a weee bit slow icon_smile.gif

They are a good ISP as well as Domain hosting. They have redundant connections and failsafes. I think I have lost service with them once maybe twice in 2 years and change. The reason for that was they got DOS'ed, but thats all fixed now.

Take look,

-Robert

I use ValueWeb for my primary host. It's $19.95/month for plenty of storage space and bandwidth, on Linux-based servers.

However, for those just entering the hosting market, I strongly recommend Stargate, who offers plans for as little as $6.95/month. They also have the added benefit of being a domain registrar, so you can get your domain name and hosting all in one package.

(I also use Stargate for a couple of domain redirects.)

57027_1500.gif

I have a personal website at http://michael.sprague.name and I also can set other people up with their own domain name with website and email for $60/yr. I am not a big hosting company, but I have set up two other people with hosting on the server I use and they are very happy with it. This is just a hobby for me. Visit my website and fill in the contact form or sign the guestbook with a request if you want more info. Thanks.

Michael

Someone mentioned ValueWeb, this is what we use at work. They had some email problems right after we signed up, but have been solid for a couple of weeks now.

Since I am an 'ole cheapie, I couldnt bring myself to pay even a modest amount for a site that has very little and is updated very infrequently. I am using www.freeservers.com and have been pretty happy. The only hassle is that their free account doesnt let you FTP your pages to the server. You have to use their "site builder tool" that just has you add text to their template, or their "file manager" that makes you create each directory and enter each file name manually.

Oh well....you get what you pay for icon_wink.gif

------------------------------------------------

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!

------------------------------------------------

I have to second MadCarrot on Brinkster for a good palce to host a static page. You can develop ASP there, as well. (I have my personal WIKI hosted there, ASPwiki.) It's pretty quick and I haven't seen it down. The major drawback is you have to upload your files via the web and it can get to be a pain in the behind. It doesn't have CGI or any of the other nice things some hosts have. But still, with no banners or pop-ups, if you have a fairly static page, and the pages that do update are few, Brinkster is the way to go, IMHO.

Another one, though it has banners, is Netfirms.com it does have CGI and FTP. It's easier to use, but you have to deal with the banners. (Unless you know how to get around them.)

Both of the above are free, but can upgrade.

I would probably recommend going with Brinsker, develop and view the pages on your computer and then when you have everything like you want them upload to your site.

Also, to shorten your URL from something unGodly long, use the free services at dk3.com. You can ask folks to bookmark your page so they don't have to go through the portal again and get the pop-ups. (Or there is a trick to get to your page without the pop-ups.)

Hope this helps!

CR

72057_2000.gif

The beauty of these free sites?

You sign up for ALL of them and play to your heart's content while you decide which one is best for you!

In fact, sign up for the DK3 redirect and you can start publishing your site sooner and not have to worry about which service you are going to go with--just change the pointer!

BTW, there are other redirects like kickme.to and many others! You just ahve to check which one suits you! Sign up for all of them, too!

Oh, a little word to the wise, sign up for a throw away email account to use with these services as some of them will start sending you loads of spam. Once you decide on one switch your email to a more permanent account.

(I feel like Columbo.) Oh, and just one more thing. Get a good password manager, I like Password Agent, you really want to keep track of the passwords to all of those accounts!

Cheers!

CR

72057_2000.gif

I had tough time with Brinkster.com lately (they were upgrading and never responded to my emails anyway) - so I switched to dotnetplayground.com for .NET hosting.

Bluedomino.com is a great inexpensive hosting, they have verifiably good bandwidth and plenty of space in most of their plans.

Zoneedit.com is the way to go for DNS management and redirecting.

Hope this helps.

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

I've been using powweb.com for awhile now and have been very satisfied so far. It's not free, but you can run CGI scripts and PHP. Also you can add a MySQL database for a one time setup fee of $10.

My favorite feature of this host is the forum they run similar to this one, where you can get all sorts of help and advice on setting up your site from other customers and the admins.

There's a cacher named MrGigabyte (if memory serves). He runs a hosting company and gives good discounts to geocachers. I've had many a good conversation with him on the Monday night chat.

FWIW, I don't use his company for my own sites because I have a prior arrangement with another company. I use tlcwe.com and I can't say enough good things about them. They are a mom-and-pop operation, but I've never had reason to complain.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I've been hosting my personal site and the MiGO site with dot5hosting.com for over a year now.

I'm happy with the price and services.

They also have a low-end basic hosting package for $3 a month now that gets you just what you need to host a low-end site with a domain name.

I would reccommend them.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif