newbie- eTrex Vista or Meridian Platinum????

pbarr86

I currently do NOT own a GPS but I think I have narrowed my purchase down to one of these (eTrex Vista or Meridian Platinum.)

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on the ease of use on these for a newbie. Also, I assume I won't be the newbie for too long. Which one would I be able to keep the longest before I'll want a bigger/better one. I guess what I'm asking, which has better memory, maps, etc.

Thanks for the help,

Paul

This topic has been debated time and time again. The archives have exhausitive answers to your questions.

Why did you choose the Platinum vs. the Vista? Is it because of the barometer and compass? Are these features that you're really going to use? Are you going to spend time calibrating the compass? A $5.00 Silva compass from Walmart can point north standing still. Any GPS can point north when you're moving, even a few steps.

If you're dead set on the compass and barometer, I would look at the Garmin 76S instead of the Vista. Do an archive search on antennas to see the pros and cons of patch (Vista) vs. quad (Meridian, 76S) discussed as well.

BTW, welcome to geocaching. Whatever you choose, you'll have fun.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

Why did I choose these two? Well.. price is a factor, memory is another (I like the idea of maps), the compass sounded like a good thing (not sure if I'm dead set on it), size is another factor (portability) I want to use it for geocaching but I also want to use it on my 4-wheeler (so it has to be waterproof/tough) I also don't want something that i'll want to replace in a couple of months because it doesn't do enough.

I'll keep searching but any other info would be great.

Thanks again,

Paul

I have read on the forums that someone else is using a Ram mount on an ATV. The Meridian should be able to hold up to the abuse, as long as you can keep it attached to the ATV. The Ram mounts seem much better than the ones Magellan sells. Check them out here.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

You didn't really say what your intended uses were, or where they would be. It makes a difference. For hiking, backpacking etc my personal opinion is that the eTrex's rule. Much better display, smaller, thus easier to carry much of the time, they record track data more precisely and often more accurately. You hear a lot about the supposed poor reception, but my experience leads me to believe the reception isn't as different as people would have you believe. You get a little worse reception in flat terrain with tall dense tree cover. They often do better than other receivers in steep terrain with tree cover.

How you intend to carry the receiver makes a big difference as well. If it's in a pocket, or on the belt, the quad antenna receivers will generally get better reception. In the hand or on top of a pack strap, the eTrex's do great.

While I don't have a Meridian, I have a Sportrak Map and a Legend. For hiking, geocaching etc I much prefer the Legend. For averaging a position for awhile, the sportrak does a better job.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Thanks for the replies and the email. Looks like I'm a day or 2 away from my decision. Have to say I'm leaning towards the Meridian Platinum for a couple of reasons:

1. Screen size, I'll be using it on my 4-wheeler and I think the bigger screen will be easier to see while riding.

2. Price (self-explanatory)

blaze007 (or anybody) do you know where shopharmony is? I just want to figure out how long it will take to get to me.

I have my 1st cache picked out, it's right down the street from me. Should be a pretty easy one (famous last words) My biggest fear is I'll get the GPS and not be able to figure it out, then I'll feel like an idiot.

Paul

ummm, thats not funny. Why did you say that, why did he say that? Let's not play "scare the new guy" What are you trying to say, it's not good for anything other than finding my kitchen from my living room? I heard I could play Pong on it, is this not true?!?!?!?!?

Paul icon_biggrin.gif

pbarr86......

Harmony Computers is located at the following address:

1801 Flatbush Ave

Brooklyn, NY 11210

I am not too sure where Holliston, MA is but I would think it would take three to four days for delivery, but that is just an uneducated guess.

Just as an update I just received my tracking number from UPS. Shouldn't be long now!

Don't worry about the Meridian Platinum. If it sucks we can go jump off the same cliff together!

ZachNLiam - I really liked the Garmin, It was hard for me to decide between the Vista and Platinum. I think that it was the bigger screen on the Platinum that tipped the scale for me. I'm just kinda assuming that the bigger screen will be better on my 4-wheeler.

Blaze007 - I checked the UPS website, if I assume my GPS ships on Monday from Brooklyn I should have it by Wednesday. That will give me a couple of days to mess with it around the house then I'll try my 1st cache on Sat.

AND, about jumping off that cliff together if the Platinum sucks. We may have a hard time finding that cliff if it does indeed suck.

I got my Meridian Platinum from Harmony a couple weeks ago, it took 9 days to get to CA, but that was UPS and not Harmony's delay...I have been very happy with my Platinum, it works beautifully....I love the large screen, it locks on fast and stays locked on even under the nastiest conditions (steep canyons and dense trees) and while I don't always have the electronic compass turned on (to save batt) it does come in handy when I am in difficult terrain and constantly checking my bearings, beside's, for the price I paid, it was still a way cheaper and a better deal then the competition, even the Meridian Gold.

As I read some where in this forum....if you want to look for a cache, get a Garmin, if you want to find a cache get a Magellan...... icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding folks, most of my friends have Garmin's.........not that there's anything wrong with that....... icon_wink.gif

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....