Magellan 315 Question

Guest regoarrarr

Guest regoarrarr

I have a question about my Magellan 315 GPS. When I select goto and choose a waypoint, my receiver still shows the units as miles even right up to the spot. For instance, as I get close to a cache, it will show 0.01 miles.

My friend also bought a 315, and his changes over to feet when he gets close (within a half mile or so).

This seems like desired behavior. has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting I need to choose? Do I have a defective GPS? I've emailed Magellan Tech Support but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks,

dan.

Guest regoarrarr

Thanks. I was wondering what was wrong :-).

My GPS didn't come with a PC Cable so I'll need to buy one I guess. The ones I see are a combination PC/Data cable and cigarette lighter adapter for about 40 bucks - does that sound right?

dan.

Guest GeoForse

Yup, that sounds about right. Get the cable--its worth it to be able to manage waypoints, routes, etc. You can use EasyGPS to download Cache locations from the geocaching website and upload them to the M 315.

Enjoy.

P.S. After you upgrade, it will change to feet when you get to 0.1 mile. Its cool to watch it count down to zero as you "zero" in on a cache.

quote:
Originally posted by regoarrarr:

My GPS didn't come with a PC Cable so I'll need to buy one I guess.

I just took an old serial cable for my PC and cut one end off. Wrapped aluminum foil balls around the transmit, receive, and ground wires, and then used rubberbands to hold them in place. Did this for a couple of months.

I figure if 315 owners can be seen wandering through the woods hula-waving their GPSRs over their heads like ritual sky-worshipers, what's wrong with using aluminum spit-balls and rubberbands to transfer data?

diagram

Guest Tomebug

I'm trying to upload the new software onto my 315, but it is stuck in the "establishing communication" mode. It keeps cycling through the baud rates, but never connects. What do I do?

Here's a few things you may want to try:

First and foremost, set the baud rate on your GPS to 9600 (menu-setup-baud rate-9600 baud-enter). Turn of NMEA (menu-setup-NMEA-OFF-enter)

If you have any sort of programs that deal at all with serial ports, disable them if you know how (fax answering programs, infra-red peripheral detectors, dial in modem servers, etc...)

If that doesn't work, or you don't know how to to the above, try disabling any running software on your computer. You can usually do this by right clicking on the little icons in the lower right of your task bar and shutting them down. This will usually get most of 'em.

You can also do this by hitting "ctrl-alt-del" and selecting "End Task" on everything except "systray" and "explorer".

If that still doesn't work, post more information (which COM port, which version of windows you are using, whether the data cable works with other GPS software (easygps), etc... Someone can definitely help you with the right information.

Guest Tomebug

Well, got the upload to successfully complete, now my Mag 315 has a black screen and doesn't work at all, not even to power off. I have emailed the company, hopefully they can help me. I feel handicapped, what will I do until it's fixed??? Anyone know how to fix this?