Serial to USB Converters- Do they Work?

seige02

I noticed someone else previously had a question about a serial to USB converter and I figured I would ask my question. Do they actually work? For some reason, it doesn't seem like it would work because the interfaces are completely different. If I could hear about some first-hand experiences, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Corey

I use a Palm USB connect adapter that I got on sale about a year ago. It works fine for map, route and waypoint downloads/uploads but I receive an error when trying to upload a ROM update to any of my Garmin's. I end up plugging the unit into COM 1 for software installs only.

I have been using one sucessfully with a Garmin Visa and Win2000 laptop that only has a USB port. It has worked for firmware updates as well as map and other transfer functions. Once set up correctly I don't see why it would not work in any case. The cable contains circuity that changes between the RS-232 and UBS interfaces. Software is included that adds a driver to the operating system. Once set up, there is a COM port available that acts as an RS-232 serial port to the application.

Tim

I’ve been using one for about 5 months with my Toshiba Laptop, Meridian Gold, and Easy GPS. Also worked with Expert GPS. Also use it with Delorme TOPO 4.0

I also use it with a radio scanner (police type scanner). The software that interfaces with the scanner is a little balky sometimes and I’ve got to plug everything together, turn on the scanner, and reboot the computer for the scanner to be recognized by the software. But with the GPS I can plug in the adapter while the computer is running and it instantly finds my GPS.

Do a search in the forum and should find a couple of lengthy threads on the subject. It seems to get brought up every couple of weeks or so.

Yes, they do work. I've got a new Toshiba laptop that does not have a com port so I must use the serial-USB adapter to connect to my Meridian.

With the some laptops that don't have serial ports you have to watch out because windows doesn't install serial drivers, that happened in my case. So in order to get the adapter to function I had to force windows to install a serial port to get the drivers on there so I have 1 non functioning serial port listed in device manager. The adapter works great now and I can select which COM port it emulates. My 1 complaint and it may just be specific to my adapter is that it creates a different port for every USB connection I plug it into, so I always have to plug it into the same port to maintain the settings.

quote:
Originally posted by seige02:

I noticed someone else previously had a question about a serial to USB converter and I figured I would ask my question. Do they actually work? For some reason, it doesn't seem like it would work because the interfaces are completely different. If I could hear about some first-hand experiences, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Corey

They work, and they're useful, but some applications, like the garmin updater doesn't recognize them. It has to do, as I understand the vary explainations, with how these certain apps access the hardware. The drivers provided with certain adapters provide better compatability with certain apps than others.

On at least one occasion, I've found that an app that didn't work with my adapter would start to work if I opened some other app that DID work with it first.

ApK

are that my Belkin PDA serial to USB adapter is working, but can be touchy! I've had to reboot the GPSR once to get it to communicate, but so far I have gotten EasyGPS and Mapsource to work with it. My reply from Garmin support was that they would not work. Well, I can see why they say that and some have said, including a friend of mine with an eMap also, that the firmware won't update with it.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin