Ideas for I.D.?

Find hex editor s/w (and a geek to use it if you aren't comfy with it icon_wink.gif ) and edit the eTrex firmware (search for 'WARNING' in the binary file) to your message, I have my name, e-mail and phone numbers as well as a reward offer. Search for firmware in the forums here, there is more info about 2-3 months ago.

Quite obvious when you turn it on.

BTW, I enjoyed the sun and the caches I found out your way last week. icon_cool.gif

Find hex editor s/w (and a geek to use it if you aren't comfy with it icon_wink.gif ) and edit the eTrex firmware (search for 'WARNING' in the binary file) to your message, I have my name, e-mail and phone numbers as well as a reward offer. Search for firmware in the forums here, there is more info about 2-3 months ago.

Quite obvious when you turn it on.

BTW, I enjoyed the sun and the caches I found out your way last week. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmadude:

What do you guys use in the way of ID on your units?

memap_mod.jpg

It may not be foolproof (neither is a sticker) but Park2 is right. Modifying the "lawyer" start-up screen is a neat idea. Check out the MeMap utility which makes the process very simple. Just make sure you have a back-up copy of the latest Garmin firmware for your particular unit in case the unexpected happens. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA: http://pixelworx.home.att.net/pics/memap_mod.jpg

It may not be foolproof (neither is a sticker) but Park2 is right. Modifying the "lawyer" start-up screen is a neat idea. Check out _http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gilles/memap/index.htm_ which makes the process very simple. Just make sure you have a back-up copy of the latest Garmin firmware for your particular unit in case the unexpected happens_

I noticed the picture was a MAP76...

I like how the screen looks... is there any reason this utility wouldn't work for the 76S I'll be receiving late this week? (hopefully) icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA: http://pixelworx.home.att.net/pics/memap_mod.jpg

It may not be foolproof (neither is a sticker) but Park2 is right. Modifying the "lawyer" start-up screen is a neat idea. Check out _http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gilles/memap/index.htm_ which makes the process very simple. Just make sure you have a back-up copy of the latest Garmin firmware for your particular unit in case the unexpected happens_

I noticed the picture was a MAP76...

I like how the screen looks... is there any reason this utility wouldn't work for the 76S I'll be receiving late this week? (hopefully) icon_rolleyes.gif

There is a similar program for the Magellan Meridian series (which I had something to do with icon_wink.gif ). Hacking the lawyer screen is the best way to go. The only way to remove it is to re-flash the firmware, and if the average thief was smart enough to do this, then he would be smart enough to work for a living.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

There is a similar program for the Magellan Meridian series (which I had something to do with icon_wink.gif ). Hacking the lawyer screen is the best way to go. The only way to remove it is to re-flash the firmware, and if the average thief was smart enough to do this, then he would be smart enough to work for a living.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

if the average thief was smart enough to do this, then he would be smart enough to work for a living.

I've seen (or heard of) many VERY clever thieves (or saboteurs)...who it seems could make a good living, if they turned their skills in a productive direction. (Look at the people who create these destructive viruses, for example.) I've also heard that most shoplifters have enough money on them to pay for the items they're stealing. Many criminals do it for the 'thrill'...not because they can't afford an honest living. icon_eek.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

if the average thief was smart enough to do this, then he would be smart enough to work for a living.

I've seen (or heard of) many VERY clever thieves (or saboteurs)...who it seems could make a good living, if they turned their skills in a productive direction. (Look at the people who create these destructive viruses, for example.) I've also heard that most shoplifters have enough money on them to pay for the items they're stealing. Many criminals do it for the 'thrill'...not because they can't afford an honest living. icon_eek.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

why do I have to press 'post a reply' 3x before I can type here?!?!

anyway I have a 3+ and simply set a waypoint tagged home - put my address and phone # on it. This way if I lost my keys and pda at the same time the person would know when I'm not home (by my pda sceadule) and can easly find my house and open the door and take my computer.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll