ExpertGPS

ExpertGPS is great. I can't say enough good about it. Here are some things I do with it.

download tracks from when I ride my atv. I now have trail maps of my favorite riding areas. I have given these maps to others who don't use a gps and they really appreciated them. One time there was a place I wanted to ride to that I found on the map. I didn't want to just mark a waypoint and find it so I used the draw tracks button and made myself a trail. When I downloaded it to my gps, I followed the tracklog just like I had already been there. Deja Vu?

Research cache locations before I go. All you have to do is download the waypoint using the link on the cache page and it will find the correct aerial or topo map and show the waypoint. Then I download all waypoints into my gps. No more button punching icon_cool.gif

Before my Garmin V, I used it to make routes for my basic Etrex. You can use Mapblast with it to download routes into your gps. It will point you to every turn. Check it out here!!! It works very well.

Use the "Waypoint Data Downloads" to find interesting places and visit them.

That should get you started. And no, I don't work for them. I just really love the program icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

[This message was edited by KYtrex on August 05, 2002 at 12:17 PM.]

ExpertGPS is great. I can't say enough good about it. Here are some things I do with it.

download tracks from when I ride my atv. I now have trail maps of my favorite riding areas. I have given these maps to others who don't use a gps and they really appreciated them. One time there was a place I wanted to ride to that I found on the map. I didn't want to just mark a waypoint and find it so I used the draw tracks button and made myself a trail. When I downloaded it to my gps, I followed the tracklog just like I had already been there. Deja Vu?

Research cache locations before I go. All you have to do is download the waypoint using the link on the cache page and it will find the correct aerial or topo map and show the waypoint. Then I download all waypoints into my gps. No more button punching icon_cool.gif

Before my Garmin V, I used it to make routes for my basic Etrex. You can use Mapblast with it to download routes into your gps. It will point you to every turn. Check it out here!!! It works very well.

Use the "Waypoint Data Downloads" to find interesting places and visit them.

That should get you started. And no, I don't work for them. I just really love the program icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

[This message was edited by KYtrex on August 05, 2002 at 12:17 PM.]

I have had the use of several programs through some friends. Expert GPS is the one I bought. I really like the way it handles my E-Trex Venture.

One of the other functions I use it for is to make maps for the ROTC cadets I help with Land Nav.

Also, if you seem to be getting too many waypoints in your GPS, you can make separate pages for each of your operations. I used to have one file called ALLWAYPOINTS.LOC I still do, but I also have others now also. ALLWAYPOINTS has become a sort of master back-up. I also have GEOCACHING.LOC, which is all the waypoints I use for geocaching. BENCHMARKS.LOC is all the local benchmarks in my area. HIKING.LOC is all my hiking trails and waypoints. I think you get the point.

So instead of keeping my Venture FULL of everytning I have, I let the computer hold it all, and only upload what I think I will need for the outing.

Enjoy it.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

I've been trying import Mapblast routes into ExpertGps but have been totally unsuccessful! Has MapBlast discontinued or changed the LAT -LONG aspect of their routing information. Also, the link to the instruticons for using Mapblast at the ExpertGPS site is broken. I'm thinking this feature has disappeared because of Mapblast.

As stated above, Mapblast removed the lat & lon feature. This was done shortly after my above post. That was done by MapBlast and not ExpertGPS. ExpertGPS is still an excellent program and I highly recommend it to anyone with a GPSr.

KYtrex

-----------------