New Garmin V arrived today!

I am soooooo happy I got this gps!! It's amazing how much stuff comes with the deluxe package. GPSdiscount is also a great company for any of you who wish to buy a gps in the future. I got the unit in less than 2 days with 3 day shipping and even got a free t-shirt with the order! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, for all of you who talked me into being patient and to save up for the V, I thank you. icon_cool.gif

Now to get started using it...

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

haha, I was actually going to say that in my post, but yeah it does smell very good! icon_biggrin.gif

I just took it for a drive and it is SO awesome! I love the recalculation feature, and the fact that you can fully customize just about everything. Such a perfect unit...

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V (soon to come)

[This message was edited by volks_ev71 on August 13, 2003 at 10:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by volks_ev71 on August 13, 2003 at 10:19 PM.]

Enjoy! I love mine.

Here are two neat and somewhat hidden features:

1. Name the waypoint for your house 'home'. When you want to navigate home just press find twice.

2. To have the unit do a diagnostic check, press and hold 'enter' with the power button while turning the unit on.

Also, go to Gamin's web site to load the latest firmware, and MapSource software. They just posted updates in the past two weeks.

Garmin Software Updates

MapSource 5.0 is much nicer than the 4.xx that is shipped with the unit.

My last little tip is to press 'menu' three times to go into the setup. Set your battery type to the correct type to get an accurate reading on the battery meter.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

1. Name the waypoint for your house 'home'. When you want to navigate home just press find twice.

Well, that is cool!! icon_cool.gif Learn something new everyday! BTW...I have had my V for a year and a half and absolutely LOVE it. I can not possibly imagine life without it.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to switch from on road to off road mode? If I am pointing to a cache in the middle of park that is not near a road or parking area, it would be nice to switch to off road mode as we are nearing the park. Yes, of course I can redo the search and ask for off road mode if we are already parked and ready to head out on the trail. I was hoping for some easy method which I can do while still manuevering through traffic.

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by alchemist2000:

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to switch from on road to off road mode?

I use this feature a lot. While you are viewing the map/navigation page, press 'menu', then select 'recaculate'. A drop-down box will appear. Select 'off-road' and there is your compass arrow.

quote:

quote:

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to switch from on road to off road mode?

I use this feature a lot. While you are viewing the map/navigation page, press 'menu', then select 'recaculate'. A drop-down box will appear. Select 'off-road' and there is your compass arrow.

Thanks...that is much better than the alternatives I had been using.

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

What is the diff bewteen "offroad" and "onroad" modes?? My legend doesnt have that (I am thinking of trading in for a V)....

quote:

quote:

Hey Bill...

It sounds like you had a GPS before....which one??

I just bought a Legend but it is going back in favor of a Vists or a V.....The $100 diff between the Vista and the V doesnt scare me, but the 5 mb less memory on teh V does....

I have Metroguide and would like to use that.....Going by Metroguides calculations, the maps I want for an upcoming trip from Pgh to OBX, NC take about 19mb....would just barely make it (I guess) onto a V but I would have room to spare on teh Vista....

Is the V better in the recption department??

Thanks in advance...

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Bill_Sumrall:

Mine also arrived today! Took a short trip using City Select maps. Must say, "The thrill is back!"

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:

What is the diff between "offroad" and "onroad" modes??

''Offroad'' uses a compass arrow that is on all GPS units. ''Onroad'' refers to using the 'autorouting' capabilities of the GPS V. That feature will tell you what streets to take, and then it will navigate you on the streets to the cache. When you get as close as possible to the cache on the streets, you park the car, and then recalculate the route with a Route Preference of 'Off Road'. For the record, there is not an 'onroad' route preference. The calculation choices for routing on the streets are either 'Faster Time' or 'Shorter Distance'.

quote:

Hey Bill...

It sounds like you had a GPS before....which one??

Is the V better in the recption department??

Thanks in advance...

DZ

quote:

Mine also arrived today! Took a short trip using City Select maps. Must say, "The thrill is back!"

Bill

No, this is my first GPSr unit. I had seen the operation of the "NeverLost" unit in rental cars and knew they ran around $2000. So I didn't expect too much from a $400 unit. But I am impressed with the V. Actually I can tell no difference in the computations, etc. of this unit to the NerverLost.

Bill

Have you used it "offroad" ?

how is reception in cities?? 9My legend dies when I get to downtown pittsburgh)...

quote:

No, this is my first GPSr unit. I had seen the operation of the "NeverLost" unit in rental cars and knew they ran around $2000. So I didn't expect too much from a $400 unit. But I am impressed with the V. Actually I can tell no difference in the computations, etc. of this unit to the NerverLost.

Bill

quote:

Have you used it "offroad" ?

how is reception in cities?? 9My legend dies when I get to downtown pittsburgh)...

Sorry, can't help on either question. Live in country and largest city within 60 miles has 35,000 population and no highrises. Two days with the unit so far and have not tried Offroad. Still reading the manual icon_smile.gif

Bill