rino 110

usmcski

does your serial port work? maybe try another computer....the software fits on a 3.5 floppy. Something I had to do, when I discovered my desktop serial didn't reckonize it, but my notebook does.

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

I have a 120 and just love it. Let me guess, you haven't seen the TV since you got it, and you're constantly going "Oh!..check this out".... just a hunch. A few months later, you'll still be saying that. icon_wink.gif

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

Hey USMCSKI,

I'll be happy to help but need a bit more information (feel free to e-mail me if you don't want to post it).

1. What operating system are you using on your computer?

2. Are you connecting the GPS in via Serial or USB?

3. Do you have any other things connected (MP3 players, external modems, UPS cable, etc.)?

4. Have you looked to see what comm ports are available on your computer (if Windows look under "Device Manager" then "Ports COM&LPT").

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by usmcski:

I cant seen to get my computer to recognise the gps unit.....what do i do?

We'll need more info to help.

I had some problems linking my Rino 120 with an early version of EasyGPS. Solved it by updating EasyGPS.

I currently have Garmin stumped with my link problems. Up to a month ago linking with Mapsource was no problem. Lately I'm having some problems uploading there with both of my Rino 120s. (Note: I have no problems linking to Mapsource with my Vista. I also had no problem downloading the latest software to the Rinos.)

Had trouble with my rino 120s a short while back connecting to laptop. I emailed Garmin, and they told me to get the software update for Mapsource from their website. It worked. While I was at it I got the latest firmware for my Rinos, my etrex and my eTrex Vista. If you want specific directions on how to do this I can forward you the email from Garmin at your request, just email me.

I just bought the Rino 110. If I buy the MapSource NA software, will I be able to see major roads on my GPS? I was under the impression when I bought it that the major roads would be on it. I saw the 120 and noticed on the box that roads can be seen. Bear in mind, I am new to GPS and geocaching, I have a buddy who is pretty good at this helping me out. Thanks. Scott

Alpinehoy---

I have a couple of Rino 120s, which can display downloaded maps, roads and such. I download from Roads and Recreation. Unfortunately, I believe the Rino 110 will not download maps, but will only let you download points of interest, basically as waypoints. If you are going to use the unit for geocaching I think it will be fine, but for navigating while driving, not as much. On the other hand I have found places while driving with no other directions using my yellow eTrex, which has no real mapping, it just takes a bit of circling sometimes. Good luck and have fun!

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

[This message was edited by lightnsound on April 16, 2003 at 07:44 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by usmcski:

Thanks for the help folks....after playing with my gps and pc for 3 hours i finally got it figued out.....this is so cool!!!!

I really do appreciate everyone trying to help!!!

Glad you broke the code. Was a software update needed? Just curious.

f~g

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

quote:
Originally posted by lightnsound:

Alpinehoy---

I have a couple of Rino 120s, which can display downloaded maps, roads and such. I download from Roads and Recreation. Unfortunately, I believe the Rino 110 will not download maps, but will only let you download points of interest, basically as waypoints. If you are going to use the unit for geocaching I think it will be fine, but for navigating while driving, not as much. On the other hand I have found places while driving with no other directions using my yellow eTrex, which has no real mapping, it just takes a bit of circling sometimes. Good luck and have fun!

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

[This message was edited by lightnsound on April 16, 2003 at 07:44 PM.]

My buddy has basemaps on his GPS, I am jealous. As much as I paid for the 110, I think it should have basemaps. Solely my opinion. I use mine for driving to geocache areas and would love to have the basemap.