which mapsource title is best for geocaching?

My vote is for Metroguide simply because of the street detail. Metroguide even shows the parking lanes behind my building. (and it's routable if you have a GPSV). It also does a decenty job of showing waterways too -- something TOPO lacks.

I had TOPO and just didn't find it that useful. But of course I live in a flat part of the country (Illinois). If I live in Colorado or Kentucky I'd probably feel diffrently about it. icon_smile.gif

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Jolly B Good sums it up well...it depends.

I live in the country and I prefer rural or even wilderness locations...the Topo works best for me.

MOST caches, however, are in the cities. I don't have Metroguide but I would assume it would be better for these caches.

Either will work for you, IMHO. Backpacking being my first love the TOPO was a must. Were I rich, I'd have them all...might anyway some day. icon_smile.gif

I suggest City Navigator because it can autoroute, send the route to your gps, then you can follow it and never miss a turn on the way to a geocache, unless you really find the topo lines a MUST for geocaching (of course it is not needed except in certain situations which I cannot think of)

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.

I guess it all depends what part of the country you are located in. Here in Montana the TOPO works best for me because even cities are small in comparison to some places and there are lots and lots of open spaces. Terrain contours are more important to me than city blocks or street names.

Just works for me.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

The Metroguide is a nice software package, but the maps take up more room. It has more "useless" (to me) data available (gas stations ,restaurants, campgrounds, movie theaters, Post Offices, etc.). This information takes up more space. My Legend only has 8 MB, so I use it carefully.

I'm currently using the Topo map set and the Roads and Recreation set. The R&R set is my most commonly loaded software. It provides most everything I use. I can get almost half of FL loaded into 8MB. It also contains all the marine navigational aids that I use while boating.

Robert

http://www.2manytoyz.com/