Not a Happy Camper

BowerBunch

Earlier this evening, I put a post here about loading my Meridian using Windows XP.

While waiting for replies, I decided to try on my laptop which is running Win98 SE.

Well, I got further but not very far. I have several regions defined in size from 52kb to 2100kb. I have a 32meg SD. It is empty. The only region I can upload is the 52kb region.

For all the other regions, each one goes so far (seems to be sending to the unit) and then stop. For each region is it predictable. That means if I try to upload region XYZ and it stops on 4.7% upload, it will always stop on 4.7%.

I have not done the math on each region to see if the percent is a certain size but I do know that the bigger the region, the small the percent before it dies.

Once the program stops, the only resort is to delete the executing process (which is now "not responding") and to start over.

I've tried various combination of com port speeds. I have the flowcontrol set to hardware (as they say to do).

One thing that I do notice is when it stops I seem to get a sound like a drive is cranking up (very quietly). And that is my note that I'm done (it won't go any further).

I thought perhaps it was trying to crank up the CD (as I did a "typical" install but it is not the normal CD starting up sound. (For good measure, I'm now loading the entire CD on the HD to see if that helps.)

I am not a happy camper. I cannot load much of anything on my unit.

Any ideas?

bowerbunch

Formating may be an issue. I read in the forums just before I recieved my Meridian, that there were issues when you format your memory card using XP. I have more than one computer, so I used a Win98 system to format the card.

If that's not it, the only thing I can suggest is use a card reader for loading.

You can't beat it for speed. It's recognized as another drive. All you have to do is drag and drop. Then pop the card in your GPSr and your up and running.

Do you have firmware update 3.12?

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

(If you reply to your own message, are you talking to yourself)

Further info:

I suspected that the problem might be something wrong with the media itself since it always stopped at the same place.

Well, I went to ANOTHER machine (Win 98 SE) and finally got my maps to upload. So that eliminates the cable and media.

I'm still at a loss for what is happening on the first two machines.

bowerbunch

3.12 is very nice. With 3.08 I think you can only upload four regions. I'm not sure if the regions are displayed at the same time while the GPSr is on. I remember that 3.08 didn't have a Card Utility before I updated it.

I have a 128meg card. With the update I can load as many regions from as many different countries as I want. All I have to do is switch regions in the card utility. I can also name the regions any way I like. I've always had the update. So I can only refere to input I had from other users when I was purchasing my GPSr.

The two machines I use to load maps have XP. I've always used a reader due to the suggestions of other users. I've never encountered any problems. I have ten US maps and one Canadian map on my card.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg