Best place to buy?

I want to upgrade my GPS III+ to the V. What is the best place [online or otherwise] to buy one? TVNav is closed this week for some reason. I may not want to wait. I need a place that is inexpensive but has good customer service. I read the thread about AdvancedGPS and I'll have nothing to do with them. Any suggestions?

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I want to upgrade my GPS III+ to the V. What is the best place [online or otherwise] to buy one? TVNav is closed this week for some reason. I may not want to wait. I need a place that is inexpensive but has good customer service. I read the thread about AdvancedGPS and I'll have nothing to do with them. Any suggestions?

I bought mine at my local bestbuy. The best benefit is that you can pick up a 4 year warranty for only 39.99.

Is that a joke? I thought it came with a warranty.

I once bought an extended warranty for a high end home CD player. When it came time to use it the company had mysteriously dissapeared. The same store now sells another extended warranty through another company. The odd thing is the advertising for the new company looks strangly like the company that went under.

I bought a SporTrak Pro from offroute.com (links form the geocaching website) and their price was good and shipping great. I wanted the Topo software and wanted to buy it from them but found it $20 cheaper at planetgps.com. Their shipping was also great, although I really wanted to support geocaching, $20 is a good discount. I'm happy with both sites.

Jeremy still has this link to Amazon on the Home Page. It's not clear that it's Amazon but I assume Jeremy still gets a commission from them.

Garmin V and Meridian Gold now shipping!

Two new GPS units from the two largest GPS manufacturers are now shipping. The Meridian Gold, by Thales Navigation, offers a rugged exterior and a superior antenna. The Garmin GPS V offers the best features to date, both for Geocaching and everyday car navigation with turn by turn directions.

Thanks, Mike

It's Purple Martin Time in Tennessee

I see a couple people already mentioned it, but Amazon does seem to have the best deal as of today (6/7/2002) on the SporTrak Pro.

A few places come in a few dollars lower, but Amazon beats them on shipping (free if you can wait 5-9 business days, very cheap for UPS 3-day select).

ALSO, a promotional code to get a free instructional video on using the GPS. I don't need it, but is probably worth a few bucks to someone on eBay :-)

ALSO, 90 days same as cash if you have an Amazon charge account. Just make sure you pay it off in time; the interest rate is terrible if you let it slide.

And finally, don't forget the elusive Magellan Rebates:

I'll fill out the coupon, but I won't hold my breath :-) Last rebate I got from Magellan took over 6 months.