Are my assumptions correct? (GMRS)

Tonight I picked up two BellSouth FRS/GMRS radios for $10 each. They were actually cheaper the the FRS only models they had. After reviewing the forums and visiting http://www.gmrsweb.com/ , I think I've learned a few things. I'll list my observations below for comments from anyone who could help me learn more.

1. The amateur radio community is not in favor of these types of combo radios, because they feel it will lead to the degredation, and ultimately the deregulation of the GMRS channels.

2. My radio lists 500mW TX power output, so although GMRS is capable of a longer range than FRS, my units specifically will be limited because of the low power output.

3. I will have to purchase a license to (legally) use the GMRS channels on my radio. With the limited power output of my radio, all I would gain for my $75 license fee is an additional 8 channels to use, but no real improved performance over an FRS radio.

I haven't opened any of the packages yet (I wanted to do this bit of research first), but it seems I will be keeping them (because they were so cheap) and utilizing them as FRS only, unless I can uncover some beneficial reason to spring for the license fee.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

Tonight I picked up two BellSouth FRS/GMRS radios for $10 each. They were actually cheaper the the FRS only models they had. After reviewing the forums and visiting http://www.gmrsweb.com/ , I think I've learned a few things. I'll list my observations below for comments from anyone who could help me learn more.

1. The amateur radio community is not in favor of these types of combo radios, because they feel it will lead to the degredation, and ultimately the deregulation of the GMRS channels.

GMRS has nothing to do with Amature radio it's a different license and a different frequency. But you are correct about the feeling among GMRS licensees. These are probably not "combo" radios, contrary to the propaganda from Bell South's marketing droids. They are GMRS radios that have been "stripped down" to run with reduced power. GMRS and FRS share the bottom seven frequencies. While these radios may have a 1/2W output on the lower 7 channels (rather than the 5W available to GMRS) they are probably still set up for the frequency deviation for GMRS rather than FRS.

quote:
2. My radio lists 500mW TX power output, so although GMRS is capable of a longer range than FRS, my units specifically will be limited because of the low power output.

That's probably a good assesment. Also, can you change the antenna? No FRS radio can have a removeable antenna. If you can change the antenna then these are GMRS radios. The antenna can be used to increase the transmitter gain over 1/2 W.

quote:
3. I will have to purchase a license to (legally) use the GMRS channels on my radio. With the limited power output of my radio, all I would gain for my $75 license fee is an additional 8 channels to use, but no real improved performance over an FRS radio.

You will have to purchase a GMRS license to legally use any of the features of this radio, for the reasons stated above. Go back to the GMRS Web board and post the FCC ID number of these radios and ask if they are truely GMRS or if they might an actual hybrid FRS/GMRS radio. I just kind of dabble in this stuff on the side.

I haven't opened any of the packages yet (I wanted to do this bit of research first), but it seems I will be keeping them (because they were so cheap) and utilizing them as FRS only, unless I can uncover some beneficial reason to spring for the license fee.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg

N 39

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

Also, can you change the antenna? No FRS radio can have a removeable antenna. If you can change the antenna then these are GMRS radios. The antenna can be used to increase the transmitter gain over 1/2 W.

No, the antenna is "fixed" on the unit.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'