I need a recommendation for a PDA GPS add-on!

Guest ChrisAndTory

Guest ChrisAndTory

Howdy, all. We're new to geocaching, and having a great deal of fun at it so far! We're currently using my father's Garmin 40, and looking into a new unit. Does anyone have a recommendation for a unit that plugs into the expansion slot of a palm, handspring, or other PDA or Pocket PC? I'm ready to buy one of those, as well, because I *really* need to organize myself, and thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone...

Are those units worth it, or am I significantly better off, in terms of features and price, just buying a standalone unit like an eTrex? Thanks for your opinions!

--Chris & Tory

Guest leemannn

Buy a stand alone gps like etrex or

ome of the magellan units. Having

a gps for a pda means a problem might

occur with either device. They.re not waterproof some of your gps units are.

magellan has a new gps comming out check

the posts Lee icon_biggrin.gif

Guest leemannn

Buy a stand alone gps like etrex or

ome of the magellan units. Having

a gps for a pda means a problem might

occur with either device. They.re not waterproof some of your gps units are.

magellan has a new gps comming out check

the posts Lee icon_biggrin.gif

Guest robamy

Keep in mind that the Palm PDA is VERY fragile. One drop and it WILL be broken. I would recommend the Garmin eTrex Vista or one of the other ones that has map download capability.

Guest Clanggedin

I use a seperate GPS and hook it to my Handspring VIsor Deluxe via a cable I got at http://www.pcables.com. It connects via the hotsync and allows me to hold additional memory (64MB Compact flash) via the springboard. I use the 64 to hold maps and other programs that I can usr with my GPS while I drive. Then when I reach my destination to start walking towards the cache I take the stand alone unit and leave my Visor in my backpack or the car.

If you use a stand alone GPS you can use the Visorphone and can use the Solus web program.

You have alot more options using a standalone GPS and connecting via a cable than having a GPS connected thhrough the springboard.

Clanggedin

Guest bunkerdave

what they ask for them. Last I looked, the Magellan add-on for the PalmV was around 300 dollars anyway. If you want maps, you can get a Map330 for around $250, and have a full 8mb for maps, etc. Then you don't have to share memory with your PDA files. GPS data is sacred, and should not be mixed with the "trivial" data of one's everyday life. icon_biggrin.gif

Get a PDA for organizing, and check these forums for all kinds of great ideas on incorporating your PDA into Geocaching. Many of us have both GPS and PDA, and they complement each other well. I keep cache info and even TOPO maps in my PDA, and use my GPS to get me there.

Guest bunkerdave

what they ask for them. Last I looked, the Magellan add-on for the PalmV was around 300 dollars anyway. If you want maps, you can get a Map330 for around $250, and have a full 8mb for maps, etc. Then you don't have to share memory with your PDA files. GPS data is sacred, and should not be mixed with the "trivial" data of one's everyday life. icon_biggrin.gif

Get a PDA for organizing, and check these forums for all kinds of great ideas on incorporating your PDA into Geocaching. Many of us have both GPS and PDA, and they complement each other well. I keep cache info and even TOPO maps in my PDA, and use my GPS to get me there.

Guest AZMark

Ipaq!!

Great COLOR Screen even in sun light.

Fast Processor!

PCMCIA slot and PCMCIA GPS=no wires.

I've got a Magellan 315 and use the cable meathod to hook it up, but with new cf and the old pcmcia GPS solutions you can have one compact unit. You can use any GPS with the Ipaq as long as it has serial out.

Try www.teletype.com for a lot of great ideas. The software isn't the greatest for geocaching,,,most ment for streets, but still works. If you plan on doing lots of geocaching having the handheld standalone GPS is much better,,then use the serial hook up to the Ipaq when your are feeling particularly geeky. But by far the coolest is the all in one with Ipaq, pcmcia sleeve and the pcmcia GPS. Cool factor = 10

Guest ChrisAndTory

Thanks to the four of you who replied! I appreciate your input, and have decided not to get a GPS add-on. I have limited geocaching experience (read: I haven't dropped my unit yet), and I hadn't thought about the non-waterproof/delicate nature of PDA's.

I'll still be getting an organizer, though...prices are falling for the whole slew of PDA's and Pocket PC's, and I think I'll probably be getting a Casio Cassiopeia E-125 (now $299 at Best Buy), which has a color screen, fast processor, and some nice bells and whistles. My choice of standalone GPS will depend in part on how much extra functionality I can get by attaching the GPS and PDA via a serial cable, as bunkerdave and Clanggedin suggest.

If you have any input on *that* topic, I'd appreciate it, too! Thanks again!

--ChrisAndTory

Guest martinp13

I had a similar experience to bunkerdave... I already had a DeLorme Tripmate (or whatever it's called... the little yellow rectangular one), and have hooked it up to the PC and then to the Palm IIIe. It's really annoying carrying a PDA AND a GPS... and you're in constant fear of dropping the PDA. Stow the PDA (whatever you get) in your pack and go with a standalone GPS. My Magellan 330 (hi bunkerdave!) came with an interface/power cable so I can hook it to the laptop if I want to and transfer data.

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !