Garmin iQue 3600 PDA?

Uplink

Send some of the wealth this way, eh? "under $500?" Cripes, I could buy a crapload of tools and/or car parts for that kind of cash. At least I can justify that type of purchase.

Can't justify 5 benjamins for a GPS though. Neat toy, nonetheless. Bet it's limited in usage too based on the PR page. Not worth it. Doesn't have a quad-helix antenna, to boot. What sort of antenna IS that?

Shoot, over at the Sony Clie forum I visit , they're more excited about it!!!!

This is a REALLY nice OS5 PDA esp. with the 32dram in it!!! I'm torn betwixt this and the new SOny NZ90. Which do I want more native GPS/mapping fuction or builtin 2mp camera?!! I'm guessing they've included someway to input geocache waypoints natively...

By the way, the iQue page lists under "accessories" "other Mapsource software". Topo should be loadable, your just gonna have to pay for it!!!

Ok, Now I have a reason to want to work overtime again. I WANT this thing. It takes everything I don't like about my Handspring/GPS combo and fixes it. The main thing I like is that not only does the unit have 32mb ram, it also has a large base map rom, 32mb I think I heard on TechTV last night at CES. Even if you have to pay for access to some of the rom contents, at least it does not eat from the 32mb ram. I watched the GPS software in use, it is FAST! The screen is wonderful, even under TV lights, so it should be ok outside. It will access any type of address data stored in the Palm's databases and allow you to plot routes to it. How do I get to the meeting that just alarmed from where I am at?

There is already a new SD memory slot device that was almost made with this in mind. $150 you get 128 MB ram and 802.11 wireless in one card. That card combined with this Garmin unit would be a PowerGeeks dream!

I do have one concern... Will other PalmOS programs be givin access to the GPS? I am sure the included software is nice, but one of the things I love about my current Visor/GPS combo is if you don't like the GPS program your using, try one of the many others.

A = A

I skipped buying the G-V as my vehicle navigator because I didn't like the fixed memory. This set up looks like it has it all. TVNav.com is already taking orders for something under $550, which puts the unit in the same price catagory as the Palm Tungsten. Not bad considering you get the software and unlock codes in the package.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Yes, this one looks like a winner with the car navigation features of the SP III, interchangeable basemaps, portability, expandable memory, and super high resolution color screen. The only downside is lack of waterproofing and possibly ruggedness, but I'm willing to put it in a protective pouch in exchange for its feature set. At a price only $40 more than a GPS V Deluxe (tvnav pricing) it's also a bargain (and would be even if it didn't also offer PDA functions).

I bought an eMap shortly after they came out and so far haven't been too impressed with any of the new GPS products. All had some failing that made me stick with the eMap, but the iQue is clearly a greatly superior product.

<

Send some of the wealth this way, eh? "under $500?" Cripes, I could buy a crapload of tools and/or car parts for that kind of cash. At least I can justify that type of purchase. >>

Baaaahhh -- it's all about what makes you happy and what turns your crank. I get a LOT of enjoyment out of my hobby.

My GPSV helped me log 200 caches last year and across 8 states. Time I would have probably spent in front of a computer or a TV otherwise. The 400 bucks I spent on my GPSV was the best money I've ever spent.

The iQUE actually seems like a decent price considering you're getting a PDA with color screen as well as what amounts to a StreetPilot III crammed inside.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I use a Palm M515 with a Magellan GPS Companion and GeoNiche (and other) software. When I have to scramble over rough terrain I put the PDA/GPS in a belt holster. I've never dropped it and it's never fallen out of the holster. I have an iQue on order and have no worries about the durability of it. The care it takes not to drop my PDA off a cliff or into a lake does not diminish my caching experience.

My only issues would be the antenna, TO be honest your get a SP III with a patch antenna. Can youuse a better external antenna ?

I would be intresting in this for several reasons, but I wont drop the coin until I get to play with one a little first.

My m125 has served me well, but I am kinda lusting after a Pocket PC now. I want something with a little more under the hood. The Garmin PDA might fit the bill.

-Robert

quote:
Originally posted by RobAGD:

My only issues would be the antenna, TO be honest your get a SP III with a patch antenna. Can youuse a better external antenna ? ...

The specs say that you can connect an external antenna (MCX). Click Here

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.